Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 15 RGS with 700 miles on it. The dealer said they already did the 1K service with standard HD oil. So i put about 2k miles on it the last 2 months. The weather here in Tampa is getting hot so i decided to do an oil change with Mobile1 Vtwin 20/50. This is my first Touring bike with an oil cooler . I drained the oil and removed the oil filter. When I measured the amount of oil that drained out, it barely measured 3 Qts. Could there possibly be a Quart still in the oil cooler? I am not sure how much of the new synthetic I should add now? I am also wondering if there would be any issue with the synthetic oil mixing with the standard HD oil. Is there any different i need to do when changing oil on a bike that has an oil cooler to ensure all of the oil drains completely?

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
The manual tells you to use 4 qts but don't do that. 3 1/2 qts is good but if you are not sure put in 3 and then add some as needed. The oil should be 1/2 way up on the dipstick this leaves room for the oil to expand when it is hot and it will help prevent oil from coming out the air filter.
The HD dealer used HD 20w50 syn 3 oil and it will mix fine with the left over oil that is in the bike.
I been using Mobil 1 V-Twin oil for years and I am happy with it.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
The manual tells you to use 4 qts but don't do that. 3 1/2 qts is good but if you are not sure put in 3 and then add some as needed. The oil should be 1/2 way up on the dipstick this leaves room for the oil to expand when it is hot and it will help prevent oil from coming out the air filter.
The HD dealer used HD 20w50 syn 3 oil and it will mix fine with the left over oil that is in the bike.
I been using Mobil 1 V-Twin oil for years and I am happy with it.
+ 2 . Put in 3qts , run a few minutes , then let it settle and measure and add as needed. As Mark said , only fill to the middle of the full area.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just did my 2015, Manual says add 3 run till hot and check to add as necessary, I used just less than 3 1/2 quarts the new dipstick shows both hot and cold engine levels this brought my level to full hot.

just my experience.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I just did the 2nd oil change on my '15 yesterday. The first time I did it I put in 3.5qt & that was too much. I was getting oil drips oit of the air cleaner. Dealer said to go with 3 qt on next change, so thats what I went with yesterday. These new bikes are apparently very sensitive to the oil level. Halfway up the stick cold on sidestand & you should be fine.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
88 Posts
To the guys saying 3.5-4qts I think that is true for the older bikes but the 15s call for 3qts. I drained mine at operating temp with bike straight up and let it all drain out, filled w/ 3qts and it is right on.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Drain the oil with the bike straight up before the oil gets cold and add oil until it registers on the dip stick where indicated, full cold.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
To the guys saying 3.5-4qts I think that is true for the older bikes but the 15s call for 3qts. I drained mine at operating temp with bike straight up and let it all drain out, filled w/ 3qts and it is right on.
I own a 15 and the manual does say it holds 4 quarts but it does also say to start with 3 quarts and add as needed. Mine usually takes between 3 and 3.5

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just did 1000 mile oil change yesterday, was wondering why it would only take 3 qts. Even checked it hot after riding and cold this morning, oil level is perfect. This thread put me at ease, thanks.

·
Registered
967 Posts
+1 3 qt of oil if you have after market air cleaner or it will leak through the side of the bike due to the designs of the return oil lines.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
The other quart is still in your engine. I use the Scavenger System to pull the last quart out. You get a complete oil change when you use the Scavenger Total Oil Change System.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
6-8 ounces are in the sump pan on the engine. You don't drain that. I second, put in 3 quarts after changing oil and filter. Run, then check upright and keep it at 1/2
quart low. No more oil going into the air filter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts