Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up some black saddlebag guards at the dealer for my 2010 FLTRX. After getting home and researching, I found out that the chrome kit was $185 less!!! Promptly returned the black guards for the chrome kit with the plan of having them powdercoated black. Any idea on how much this should cost? I called one local powdercoater and he said it would be $80-120. Seemed like a pretty wide price range and also seemed a little high for just a couple pieces of metal tubing...
Am I off the mark here?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Check with PCPain, right here on the forum. Lots of guys have sent stuff to him and seem to be happy with the price and finish.

I used a local place here in MA. $250 total for fork legs, uppers, front and rear crash bars. 7 pieces in total, I didn't do the bag supports. I think that the rear crash bars on their own should only run about $50-60, but if you're doing the bag supports then 80-120 doesn't seem out of whack.

If you did buy the whole kit with the new saddlebag supports you can save more money by modifying your existing supports to fit the crash bars, like I did here:
http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=20916

Another alternative is to see if you an hook up with someone who wants to remove the rear crash bars off their bike and just do a swap.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
I can't give you any help with prices because I get hooked up at my buddies shop but i can say that they will need to prep them before they coat and bake them which takes alil time. Either way, you'd still be under the cost of the ones you bought and returned

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know about the individual prices, what I do know is that I powdercoated literally everything that was chrome on my bike including the wheels for $800 bucks. I only purchased 2 parts, a black backrest and front axle covers. I must say that if I was to buy all the parts from HD it would have been close to 4k without doing the wheels.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I paid $210 for a pair of fork lowers, brake\clutch levers, Handlebar and sissy bar with the piece that holds the pad to the sissy bar. 7 pieces total. You can save a setup fee of usually $75 or more if they already have a job requiring black powder coating that they can add your parts to.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I had a local guy do a few chrome parts - I don't think he knew how to do it as some areas (like the kick stand) are showing chrome on the non-ground contacting parts. My guess is the chrome parts were not treated properly.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
My powercoating vendor here in SoCal charges $2.00 a linear foot. The company is called Nu-Tech Powdercoat. Great guys to work with and at a very fair price.
Swomack

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Paesani, where are you located at, if you happen to be around the jacksonville florida area I can hook you up with a guy that does awesome powdercoat work for a decent price. Otherwise, I would say to powdercoat the rear crashbars you're probably looking about $50.00 to $60.00.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just outside of DC. I ended up buying a can of plastidip and blacked out the bars using that. For now, they look great, but we'll see how long that lasts. Can't beat the price though - $6!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts