Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I have noticed more and more vibrations at the RPM range of about 27-3000 RPMs, no matter what gear, even with the clutch engaged and rev to 3000 it has that similar vibration. I feel it in the floorboards, in the handle bars. The bike only has 2700 miles on it and I'm not sure if this is normal and will work itself out or if I should take it in.

I have read some threads on older bikes having similar vibrations at the RPM ranges I have had. But wondering if anyone else has had similar vibrations on the new 15 or newer bikes.

Before I call the dealership, just going to check on here one more time to see if anyone has had similar issues.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
So recently I have noticed more and more vibrations at the RPM range of about 27-3000 RPMs, no matter what gear, even with the clutch engaged and rev to 3000 it has that similar vibration. I feel it in the floorboards, in the handle bars. The bike only has 2700 miles on it and I'm not sure if this is normal and will work itself out or if I should take it in.

I have read some threads on older bikes having similar vibrations at the RPM ranges I have had. But wondering if anyone else has had similar vibrations on the new 15 or newer bikes.

Before I call the dealership, just going to check on here one more time to see if anyone has had similar issues.
Check your exhaust clearance everywhere. If it's fairly close to touching the floorboards or frame anywhere the motor can move in the mounts and touch the frame or boards. I would look at clearance and make sure to retighten all the clamps and mounting points.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
What James said, also look for any bolts or pebbles that got wedged in between the power train and the frame.
Did this just start ?

·
Registered
654 Posts
There is a member in Ontario, I think he goes by Gorilla Guy? Gorilla Man? He had the same issue with his 2016. Not sure if he was able to fix it yet. Nope. His issue was vibration at about 1800 rpm. Do a search for his thread.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
The bike is under warranty so if you think something isn't right you may want to take it to the dealer and let them look at it. If the exhaust is stock and it is hitting the frame or floorboards causing the vibration then it is a warranty issue.
It isn't a uncommon problem to have the exhaust make contact with some other part and cause noticeable vibration but it mostly happens with a aftermarket exhaust system.
There can be other problems that cause vibration so even if you or the dealer can not find the problem taking the bike into the dealer will at least document the issue.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback...I will look it over again. The only thing I hate about taking it in is the hassle of not having a ride while they look at it. but might call and find out what the wait time is and go from there.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Motorcycle shops, marine repair facilities, and lawnmower shops are all very busy places in the season, the real good ones are busy all year around.
Same/same with snowmobile shops in the winter.
Just need to take a ticket, and get in line.
Scott

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for the feedback...I will look it over again. The only thing I hate about taking it in is the hassle of not having a ride while they look at it. but might call and find out what the wait time is and go from there.
Its the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. You paid an arm and a leg for this thing so they had better make you feel good and the bike should be right.

At 2600-2800 rpm and then at 3200-4000rpm... these RG's should almost be running like butter ... Their sweet spot is 26-2700.

Yes I have had problems from day one... I let them know that I had better not hear the words "It's Normal" come out of their mouths. I spent over $30k (CDN) so it had better be damn near perfect.

At the 1,000 mile check (which they paid for) I gave them a 12 page complaint on what I thought was wrong with the bike. I had them go over every nut , bolt, spring, adjustment, alignment everything.

What I did find was that the stock windshield caused a lot of my issues. Also the exhaust system was not correctly aligned and mounted... also the heat shields were misaligned... plus the upper fork clamp bolts were loose... plus the reat shock bolts were under torqued... plus the rear muffler hangers were not greased (overlooked by 99% of people).... plus a floorboard mount bolt was loose...

Then I complained about engine noises etc... In the end I fixed 1/2 the stuff myself and changed the mufflers to CVO slip ons (super quiet on the highway). I also changed out the tranny fluid to Red Line (any syn 75w/140) will do... gear oil).. I changed the oilin the engine and primary at 500 miles, 1000 miles and 4500 miles. I use regular HD mineral oil and did notice that after 2000 miles the HD oil started to break down and I would lose a few psi. Next change... Motul 20W/50 Dino oil.

BUT.....

After the 3,000 mark the motor started to dial in and feel better... Then at 5,000 miles again it seemed to be better.

With all I did... this bike now purrs at 75 mph in 6th at about 2700 rpm and at 80 mph (3100-3200) its really nice.

Wind conditions do affect the ride considerably and make it feel like more vibration... but get the right No Wind Conditions... and My bike now is like a hot knife through butter.

Again... Squeaky wheel gets the grease.... I convinced HD they owed me... so they agreed to throw in the 10,000 mile service :)

Good Luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. You paid an arm and a leg for this thing so they had better make you feel good and the bike should be right.

At 2600-2800 rpm and then at 3200-4000rpm... these RG's should almost be running like butter ... Their sweet spot is 26-2700.

Yes I have had problems from day one... I let them know that I had better not hear the words "It's Normal" come out of their mouths. I spent over $30k (CDN) so it had better be damn near perfect.

At the 1,000 mile check (which they paid for) I gave them a 12 page complaint on what I thought was wrong with the bike. I had them go over every nut , bolt, spring, adjustment, alignment everything.

What I did find was that the stock windshield caused a lot of my issues. Also the exhaust system was not correctly aligned and mounted... also the heat shields were misaligned... plus the upper fork clamp bolts were loose... plus the reat shock bolts were under torqued... plus the rear muffler hangers were not greased (overlooked by 99% of people).... plus a floorboard mount bolt was loose...

Then I complained about engine noises etc... In the end I fixed 1/2 the stuff myself and changed the mufflers to CVO slip ons (super quiet on the highway). I also changed out the tranny fluid to Red Line (any syn 75w/140) will do... gear oil).. I changed the oilin the engine and primary at 500 miles, 1000 miles and 4500 miles. I use regular HD mineral oil and did notice that after 2000 miles the HD oil started to break down and I would lose a few psi. Next change... Motul 20W/50 Dino oil.

BUT.....

After the 3,000 mark the motor started to dial in and feel better... Then at 5,000 miles again it seemed to be better.

With all I did... this bike now purrs at 75 mph in 6th at about 2700 rpm and at 80 mph (3100-3200) its really nice.

Wind conditions do affect the ride considerably and make it feel like more vibration... but get the right No Wind Conditions... and My bike now is like a hot knife through butter.

Again... Squeaky wheel gets the grease.... I convinced HD they owed me... so they agreed to throw in the 10,000 mile service :)

Good Luck.
is this your normal mode of operation whenever you buy something new ? Just asking

·
Registered
280 Posts
is this your normal mode of operation whenever you buy something new ? Just asking
When the Dealership insists "It's a Harley... It's Normal" !!!! Then Yes!

If the Dealership had taken the time to actually inspect the bike before delivery (it was imported from another Dealer), then most of these issues would have been caught.

Now I have warped front rotors and a sparratic stator or regulator that causes my volt metre to flutter from 14-15 while cruising... along with a compensator issue... It just keeps getting better and better.

That along with... "If it is not Documented... It doesn't exist!!" .... Sorry for the rant... not everyone gets a gem... Of my last 7 Harley's , only 2 others have been problematic but fixable.

·
Registered
654 Posts
When the Dealership insists "It's a Harley... It's Normal" !!!! Then Yes!

If the Dealership had taken the time to actually inspect the bike before delivery, then most of these issues would have been caught.

Now I have warped front rotors and a sparratic stator or regulator that causes my volt metre to flutter from 14-15 while cruising... along with a compensator issue... It just keeps getting better and better.

That along with... "If it is not Documented... It doesn't exist!!" .... Sorry for the rant... not everyone gets a gem... Of my last 7 Harley's , only 2 others have been problematic but fixable.
Keep up the fight Gorilla. The dealer has to know and MOCO has to know. Thanks for the updates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts