Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new to me 09 RG. It has over 8000.00 in mods and parts. Also the bike has been pinstriped. All this was done before I got her. Talking with State farm they say submit recites but I dont have any and I know if I do the rates will go up just not sure how much. How should I handle this.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Have it appraised on paper.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Your rate may go up but it generally isn't too much. Most companies will not pay you for the accessories and mods if you don't buy up coverage to cover them. I guess if you don't have any receipts you'll have to do what Big Gary says.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Just bought a new to me 09 RG. It has over 8000.00 in mods and parts. Also the bike has been pinstriped. All this was done before I got her. Talking with State farm they say submit recites but I dont have any and I know if I do the rates will go up just not sure how much. How should I handle this.
talk to a local agent. my SF policy covers 5K in custom accessories but i doubt they would pay out 100%.

document and photograph all your mods and if they won't cover them talk to another agent.

i have a built bike that i had exact replacement coverage for but i don't know if they still cover customs like that.

if they will write the policy make sure it appears in the declarations page before you pay the premium.

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
check with dairyland , I have mine insured for six thousand in accessories , did not want to see any receipts , was very little for the extra coverage ..

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Ask your agent if they will insure you for a "stated value appraisal". An appraisal done by an independent appraisal service, with knowledge of motorcycles. You will most likely have to pay for it out of pocket.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Find a new company. Everyone I have had included at least $3,000 for extras. Put on by , dealer , pictures of just it being there when adjuster looks at it fine. When I totaled my 2011 they never even ask they just listed it and paid it no question ask.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use progressive and they've not asked me for any receipts. They also accept pictures. You can also try GEICO, 15 minutes may save you 10% or more:grin:

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Hmmm...I have had State Farm for many years and on MANY bikes and all have had "$5K in Accessory Coverage Added" with no effort on my part - Some bikes that was WAY low on and some that was more than........I would look into it further with the agent.........and then maybe look for a new agent if you want to stay with SF

·
Registered
302 Posts
A lot of good points.

But, number one to remember, is that vehicle Insurance is regulated (or not) by each state. The laws do vary quite a bit.

As a stated value Insurer, Dairyland might be a good source to "brain pick". Getting a quote from them, with details, would provide you with a good idea of the nature of your state laws.

What ever you do, stay away from All-State. (sorry Steady Eddy, but anyone that has been in the Insurance business will agree with me).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most policies offer some coverage for accessories - it's going to be up to you to prove what you had at the time of the loss. If you drop your bike and damage your custom paint job probably no big deal the adjuster can come out and see what was there. If your bike is stolen and you have no receipts to prove what work was done your probably just going to get paid based on a stock bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Having been in the Insurance Industry for 30 years and selling my book of business to start 2nd phase of life - here is best way to address 1 - State Farm is not the best market for Bikes. Progressive, Dairyland and even Geico are better. For the Mods or Accessories, Detailed Photos work well, a well described Excel Spreadsheet with costs accompanied by the photos works even better. Some receipts if possible wouldn't hurt as additional support if you've got them. An appraisal from independent 3rd party becomes almost bullet proof.
Personally I use the spreadsheet and many photos of my bike. Hope this helps - Buy the increased accessory coverage BEFORE any claim arises!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts