Road Glide banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2010 FLTRX and absolutely love it. Put about 1300 miles on it over the past few week and the bars are killing me when I'm riding for over an hour. I had apes on my old Wide Glide and loved em. What height can I get away with without having to change all of the cables and wires?

·
Registered
47 Posts
These are Khrome Werks 2+2's on my 11. Only had to reroute clutch cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
HD Heritage Style handlebars work great and they are only around $80. You can use stock cables and wires with the Heritage style handlebars, I don't have a part number right now but if you do a search you will find lots of post on them.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
My brake hose is stretched to about its max on my 12" Heritage bars. I probably could have gone 14" on everything else.

·
Registered
852 Posts
When rerouting the clutch line, where am I moving it to? I haven't gotten in there to see its stock location yet.
Are the wires long enough to internally wire the bars with 12" apes?
Clutch cable moves on the handlebar end. Stock route has a bracket at the top of the speedo housing that the cable runs thru. Mine now runs at the bottom of the speedo housing at the bars. Wires were long enough for internal routing. Many replace the throttle grip sensor with the one piece Screaming Eagle sensor. I just used heat shrink tubing on the stock throttle connector,

·
Registered
830 Posts
Here i8s a good pic of stock cables with a set of Wild 1 12.5" chubby apes.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Why would you let cable length dictate long term riding comfort?
This is so true. Seems like a lot of people on here don't want to spend the extra $ to do the job right. Quit worrying about stretching the stock wires and cables to the limit and just do the job right. This is just MY opinion, to each his own. :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
++++

I do agree with that statement.
I come from wide beach cruiser bars so for me I went with 13" Twin Peaks & real T-6061 alum clamp system. Both from LA Choppers. Couldn't be happier with my setup. Who knows, maybe I'll swap them out once I get use to the 13". As far as the cable and line, the stock everything worked with this new bar & clamp setup. A win win for me at this point. If you are a ape bar rider, then maybe you would go with 16" or better. If you plan on doing this mod once, then go with what you really want and suck it up. You can get some good deals out there on new bars, ect, it's the labor cost to put it all together that might stop you if you can't do it yourself. But once again IMO do it right for what you want. Here is a picture of my bar on my 2015 RGS if interested.
Swomack

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.