Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone recommend bars for a taller guy that doesn't require extending the wires ? "I'm 6'3.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I think you can go 12 inch without extending the wires. The wiring isn't hard, just take your time. Being over 6ft your going to want higher than 12's

·
Registered
45 Posts
I went with 17" Carlini evils. The hardest part was pulling the wires thru the bars (use wire lube it is a life saver). I cut the plug off with 4" of wire left on the plug for splice. I had zero issues and yes I did have to extend, but if you are changing the bars and are going to run the wires internal then you may as well extend them.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Many members say that 12" is almost always max. IIRC, some have gone 14" but not many and can't remember which bars allowed that.

EDIT to match SBR update.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
If you're 6-3, the first thing to worry about is to get the size of the bars right for you, and then worry about the wires. Why let cable or wire length dictate ride comfort?

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you're 6-3, the first thing to worry about is to get the size of the bars right for you, and then worry about the wires. Why let cable or wire length dictate ride comfort?
My thoughts exactly.....
I'm 6'3" and went with 16" LA Choppers....
I have back trouble issues and slouch often, so the 16"s fit good....
Setting up straight the 18"s would work, but I can't set up straight.

Back to the original post....Buy the bars that fit your body then worry about cable length.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
When I did mine 12" was the absolute max. In fact I was not happy with where the connectors ended up so I put extensions in.

Next time I do internal wires I'll cut the harness and put extensions in the middle... no muss no fuss!!!

D.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The connectors where the switch harness' connect to the main harness are located on tabs up on the side of the mounts. When I installed my Wild 1 518s I took these connectors off the tabs and moved the closer to where the harness from each handle bar enters the fairing. This provided 4 or 5 more inches.

The cable are not as much of a problem as the brake line and clutch cables. You can't add extensions to these and may have to buy new ones.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
I recently installed Wild One WO572 14" Ape's and didn't have to extend the wiring at all.
I just cut the cable ties and moved the wiring to where it would reach.
I did change the Clutch and Brake Cables tho.
Mike U.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts