Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad to see everyone doing this, and having good results. DWWood, hate to hear about your troubles. If you figure out what is wrong, please post it up here so we will know for future reference.
I replaced the sensor with the CVO one and didn't have one singal issue after that, no codes etc. Just wish I had of replaced the bushings with poly ones. Pulling it down again to replace them.

Thanks again for the thread Donk, have sent the link to several people for reference.

Cheers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I want to thank Donk for the write up. You are the man! I had all the issues with codes by tackling this job myself and panicked. Your thread brought me back to sanity and my worries disappeared.

Well, I ordered the CVO TBW sensor without the green plug in my time of desperation. Now I don't need it. If anyone is looking for one??

It can't be confirmed, but Donk is right. I think the hardwired throttle response increased!

Don't try to be a hero. Get rid of the green connectors of death and save yourself time and eliminate the panic.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
I'm definitely doing this when I upgrade my bars. So did you lengthen the TBW cable? And if so what gauge wire did you use?

Also, what kind do solder did everyone use? Resin core?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Extensions are not needed. There is a ton of extra wire under the fairing that you can pull through. You could easily go 16 or higher without needing extensions. I used rosin core solder.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Donk...ur the MAN!!! Just finished wiring my 14 inch Odessey's . Had to do it 3 times because of that little green piece of crap plug. Fired it up after cutting it off and re wiring
Thanks again!!!!!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Well Donk, you may have saved me some trouble here (or caused extra work, I'm not sure :) )

I spent part of yesterday wiring my Buky Malos. Actually had all the wires pulled through. I'd just taped the green connector before I pulled them through.

Then in the middle of the night about 2AM I woke up and remembered that there was a thread about this. I got up, found this thread. I debated with myself for about an hour before I went and pulled the throttle side wires back out.

I figured this is no time to short cut it. I just ordered the CVO TGS from Horny Toad. So, I guess I'll finish up my bar install next weekend. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I read through this thread and the consensus is that I can remove the heated grip connector and wires.

I'm a novice at wiring so my question is this....can I just snip the wires close the TBW unit and just put electrical tape over them? Or do I need to actually remove the wires as a whole from the unit? I'm wiring my new bars now and I see how much room I DONT have.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
520 Posts
I read through this thread and the consensus is that I can remove the heated grip connector and wires.

I'm a novice at wiring so my question is this....can I just snip the wires close the TBW unit and just put electrical tape over them? Or do I need to actually remove the wires as a whole from the unit? I'm wiring my new bars now and I see how much room I DONT have.

Thanks in advance

remove it completely.. thanks donk.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I probably should have been more specific in my post. I have removed the TBW harness and purchased te Namz plug and play TBW extension with eliminates the head grip wiring.

My question is whether I can just snip the two wires on the TBW unit but rereading donks original posts, he did just that.

Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great write up Donk!
does anyone know where I can find a picture of the wires that go into the molex connector in the fairing?
I did not install the bars (previous owner did).
bike throwing p1510, p2122, p2138 codes.
I pulled all wires and previous owner had removed the green plug and soldered. found a few nicks in some wires. I de-soldered and putt all new wire in place of the old. didnt have much trouble with new wires as i shrink wrapped all six wires together and used some baby powder to get things to slide.
All back together and bike runs fine but still getting the same codes??
I have checked all connections and read a library of forums. I am really starting to think the guy before me had a wire/pin reversed in the molex connection in the faring.
Any help with where the RED,PURPLE,GRAY,BROWN, BLACK and BLUE wires need to be placed in the faring (black molex) connection is greatly appreciated.

BTW.... like I said bike seems to run fine..... just has the codes and check engine light.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I want to thank Donk for all his handlebar posts. I ran into problems with the green connector as well and didnt know i could solder the connections for the tbw. I went to harley and bought a whole new throttle assy and assembled the connection backwards so no throttle. Played plug n play with wires by just plugging them in and accidentally broke one. With my newfound knowledge thanks to Donk my wife and i went back out and cut a wire with the appropriate pin off the old harness and soldered it in and put the connector back together, snapped it together and im running w no codes. Thanks Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Motorcycle Motorcycle accessories
again!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can across this thread after I had pulled and pulled and cursed and pulled. So I said hell before I put the bars on might as well castrate the little green bastard out of there. So I proceeded to pull the throttle wires back out and guess what I found? Yup you guess it even thought I taped the plug one of the wires (black on bottom of plug) had pulled out of the plug ever so slightly. Guess I saved myself a lot of pain after it was finished.

Thanks for the great write up

·
Registered
60 Posts
Still going ...........

I'm in the process of getting everything together for my bar swap. I need to figure out the extensions needed.
Should I plan on replacing the green connector with the SE type ?
Thanks to all who have contributed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm in the process of getting everything together for my bar swap. I need to figure out the extensions needed.
Should I plan on replacing the green connector with the SE type ?
Thanks to all who have contributed.
It makes things easier and you won't have to worry about the plug coming apart if your wires are gonna be a tough pull(peak style bars). Also, the wires on the CVO are longer if you are going with taller bars.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I dont know the number but the guy at the harley counter knew exactly what i needed.

121 - 140 of 166 Posts