Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sat my helmet (with headset) on my seat while resting at an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway this week. I didn't realize that the headset cable was hanging down over the seat and was on my tail pipe. I left about a quarter size of melted black plastic stuck to my pipe.

When I got home I tried to clean it off with bug and tar remover, wax and ice. No luck. Someone suggested that I use a ball of aluminum foil. I did and it worked great! It took some elbow grease but it came off and didn't leave a scratch.

Thought I would pass this on...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I always use a razor blade to get the boot marks off off my pipes. Just angle it so it glides along the surface and it doesn't scratch either. I got the idea from how we removed military base stickers off of vehicle windshields.

Thanks for the share on the aluminum foil, I haven't ever heard that one.

Ricky

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
I use a product called "Road Rub", works really well for me.

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
I use a product called "Road Rub", works really well for me.
Thanks to Rob's recommendation at SWII, we bought a stick of Road Rub at Weibler's HD and lemme tell ya....THAT STUFF WORKS!!!

I had some 'unknown' substance on my exhaust that I could not get off. I tried everything. The Road Rub took it right off.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Heard that from my local HD dealer service folks as well; oven cleaner with the pipes heated up to get melted kaka off.
Oven cleaner works great, just don't get it on your paint.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I found a better way yet! I took the bike to the dealer to replace the six speed output bearing. The mechanic spotted the black marks on the exhaust from my heel rubbing on the exhaust from time to time. When I picked up the bike the pipe was cleaned up flawlessly! It looked so good after all of this time I bought a Heel Guard (http://heelguard.com/) and put it on to keep the pipe clean. The Heel Guard is less expensive than burning the heels on my boots and shoes!

BART

·
Registered
187 Posts
Extra fine steel wool 00000 and glass cleaner will clean all chrome and leather without harming it learned that one from a buddy that owns a exotic car detailing company

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I snagged a grocery bag with the crossover on my sporty once. The only thing I could do was let it burn off. Depends on where and what kind of plastic.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm gonna try the tin foil thing one of these days.

Lately, I've been using those orange plastic scraper blades from Harley to get the heavy part off and then rubbing the spot with a small wad of Never Dull to get the rest. I then rub in some Glare polish real quick, and it's back to mirror finish. I truly f'n hate it when it happens though - :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts