Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just did an oil change on Sunday before I put the bike a way for the winter. I had my Harley Dealer do the last change. An they must have a torque wrench to put on the filters. As I could not get the filter off with the HD oil filter wrench with the cut out. I did a search and found a site where a guy put an hose clamp on the filter and used the wrench to pull it off. I was not able to get the wrench to fit over the filter so I used the hose clamp on the wrench (see picture below) and was able to get it off. You have to undo the hose clamp once you turn the filter about 1/4 turn to move it back to the top of the filter.

You can see in the picture that I have the hose clamp in the cut out area and we have removed the of steel between the opening on the wrench. This is the filter after I had it removed off the bike

Water

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not have one and the small town I live in dose not have them. I use K&N filters but my Harley shop will not use them. I only let them do a oil change if I'm on the road and need one done or the first services. Not sure why Harley dose not just come out with a filter with the nut on it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I did not have one and the small town I live in dose not have them. I use K&N filters but my Harley shop will not use them. I only let them do a oil change if I'm on the road and need one done or the first services. Not sure why Harley dose not just come out with a filter with the nut on it.

Go to Amazon an search THE WRENCH made by RIVCO works like a charm. About 20 buck. I've used one for the last two oil changes now an works great. If your bike has an oil cooler slip it between the hoses have to work it around a bit to get on the filter but works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Go to Amazon an search THE WRENCH made by RIVCO works like a charm. About 20 buck. I've used one for the last two oil changes now an works great. If your bike has an oil cooler slip it between the hoses have to work it around a bit to get on the filter but works great.

Here's another filter wrench that works great for hard to get off filters, have to be careful tho you can only turn it about a half an inch at a time to avoid damage.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I have the rivco one, if I am correct it's called the wench, that's what I have not had any issues with it as long as you don't use cheap oil filters that collapse. I use factory Harley filters they are solid and hard to crush, never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
The oil filter should never be tightened so tight that a filter remover doesn’t work

Geez man that nuts what you had to go through

Glad it all worked out for you in the end

Swomack

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
I would mention it to the service manager. Either too tight, didn't oil the seal before putting it on, or both.

On my Japanese bikes I have had techs cross thread fasteners during recalls or if I let them do first service that I didn't discover until I went to work on the bike myself. I wonder what they would have said if I brought it back for service and they discovered the cross threaded fasteners.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I have the billet one with the cut out, sold by the dealer. Went thru the same thing as you, as the tool would just open up enough to slide over the end of the filter, and with lowers it makes it harder to get at the filter, other than straight on.
I also used a large hose clamp to finally remove the filter in desperation, which worked.

This was after I had the dealer do the first service back in 2015 AND every oil change since has been done in my garage and I might add, never had an issue removing the old oil filter since

·
Registered
487 Posts
Reactions: rideon

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 RGS
5,739 Posts
Had one stuck on so bad I jammed a screwdriver through it nd got it loose that way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The screwdriver was the tool that I was going to use. But since I live 2 1/2 hours from the nears HD shop did not want to do anything that might make it hard to ride the bike. Was going to leave the old filter on and just refill the bike backup with oil and wait tell spring so I could ride it back to the HD shop and tell them to remove there filter and put one on the right way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm trying to remove a K&N filter from my Harley Ultra Ltd. The bolt part of the filter has so much paint on it that it's pre-rounded-off from the factory. Ridiculous, and the rest of the filter is perfectly round. I can't blame the tech who put it on, since it's me. I've done numerous filter changes on this bike and never had a problem before. The Harley wrench will of course not work because, unlike the Harley filter, the K&N filter is round. Why, K&N? Why? A screwdriver will not work because there is no room to turn it if it had a screwdriver in it. There is definitely no room to get a strap type wrench on it. My next and final attempt will be to pound the Harley filter wrench onto it as hard as possible, using a 2x4, caving in the bolt part of the filter as necessary, and then try a hose clamp over it with the screw part of the hose clamp in the wrench's cutaway, in the hopes that the screw part of the hose clamp will "dig in" to the filter enough to keep the wrench from slipping on the perfectly round filter.If that doesn't work, I'm ready to throw this bike in the ocean and report it stolen.

·
Registered
2022 Road Glide Limited
51 Posts
I'm trying to remove a K&N filter from my Harley Ultra Ltd. The bolt part of the filter has so much paint on it that it's pre-rounded-off from the factory. Ridiculous, and the rest of the filter is perfectly round. I can't blame the tech who put it on, since it's me. I've done numerous filter changes on this bike and never had a problem before. The Harley wrench will of course not work because, unlike the Harley filter, the K&N filter is round. Why, K&N? Why? A screwdriver will not work because there is no room to turn it if it had a screwdriver in it. There is definitely no room to get a strap type wrench on it. My next and final attempt will be to pound the Harley filter wrench onto it as hard as possible, using a 2x4, caving in the bolt part of the filter as necessary, and then try a hose clamp over it with the screw part of the hose clamp in the wrench's cutaway, in the hopes that the screw part of the hose clamp will "dig in" to the filter enough to keep the wrench from slipping on the perfectly round filter.If that doesn't work, I'm ready to throw this bike in the ocean and report it stolen.
Sure you tried this… but..Try a six sided socket that is a smidge tight and tap it on the K&N nut. Push in while turning and it should cooperate…know what you mean about that paint…i use K&N chrome to avoid and dont have the issue. 11/16 or 17 MM is the size you want on a K&N-171C filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sure you tried this… but..Try a six sided socket that is a smidge tight and tap it on the K&N nut. Push in while turning and it should cooperate…know what you mean about that paint…i use K&N chrome to avoid and dont have the issue. 11/16 or 17 MM is the size you want on a K&N-171C filter.
I did, but thanks. Too bad I just bought more black filters... Today I drilled holes in my Harley filter wrench and I got some long self tapping metal screws - now I just gotta work up the ambition to start rolling around on the ground again :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts