Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used a couple self-tapping screws through a HD filter wrench to et a filter off......I think Barne's used a high torque impact to put it on!!!!
I'm responsible for mine being too tight... don't know why, as I've changed my own oil many times before, unless I didn't bother wiping oil onto the gasket this last time? You really don't have to put it on very tight for it to end up really tight.

·
Super Moderator
5,768 Posts
I'm trying to remove a K&N filter from my Harley Ultra Ltd. The bolt part of the filter has so much paint on it that it's pre-rounded-off from the factory. Ridiculous, and the rest of the filter is perfectly round. I can't blame the tech who put it on, since it's me. I've done numerous filter changes on this bike and never had a problem before. The Harley wrench will of course not work because, unlike the Harley filter, the K&N filter is round. Why, K&N? Why? A screwdriver will not work because there is no room to turn it if it had a screwdriver in it. There is definitely no room to get a strap type wrench on it. My next and final attempt will be to pound the Harley filter wrench onto it as hard as possible, using a 2x4, caving in the bolt part of the filter as necessary, and then try a hose clamp over it with the screw part of the hose clamp in the wrench's cutaway, in the hopes that the screw part of the hose clamp will "dig in" to the filter enough to keep the wrench from slipping on the perfectly round filter.If that doesn't work, I'm ready to throw this bike in the ocean and report it stolen.
This is what I used when I had a K&N nut strip.
Motivx Tools Oil Filter Removal Tool - Adjustable Wrench for 2.5" - 3.25" Small Diameter Spin-On Oil Filters https://a.co/d/9KsKt6f

·
Super Moderator
5,768 Posts
21 - 26 of 26 Posts