Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I noticed a humming noise while in curves. Think it may be wheel bearings? :surprise: Front bearings are new, so would indicate rear bearings going I guess

·
Registered
745 Posts
probably just the less worn tread on the sides of your tires,
no big deal.

Reactions: mouser58

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yesterday I noticed a humming noise while in curves. Think it may be wheel bearings? :surprise: Front bearings are new, so would indicate rear bearings going I guess
Are wheel bearings an issue on these bikes? I notice something similar on my new-to-me 2010. Slight noise and teensy bit of feel in the handlebars. It has 15,000 miles on it but was completely gone through by a dealership so I just figured I leaned further in turns than the previous Owner?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A buddy had his cupped OEM tire replaced under warranty at my local dealer. Think I will check that out and see if I can get a new tire out of them. Seems to be developing a noise vibration on parking lot speed turns as well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Tires are cupped - mine started doing it around 8k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm hearing the same thing and seeing visible signs of cupping on the front starting at about 10k. Pressures are checked and maintained regularly. Makes me wonder about dunlops QC. I'm at 11k now and I can start to feel the cupping on the corners. Probably have to have my parts gal (my wife, lol) order me up a metzler 888 here in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
The stock Dunlops are notorious for cupping. Mine does the same thing around corners while leaning.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Similar noise here as well, but I did have to replace my front wheel bearing. But that was a different sound and feeling all together.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My 12 did the same thing more so on left hand turns

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guess it's just the shitty Dunflop then. I plan to change the bearings when I get a new tire anyway. But that will be after the Cali trip then. I just was concerned about if the bearings were going bad prior to making the trip out west.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Guess it's just the shitty Dunflop then. I plan to change the bearings when I get a new tire anyway. But that will be after the Cali trip then. I just was concerned about if the bearings were going bad prior to making the trip out west.
I've been told that changing the bearings when you swap tires is the best choice.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been told that changing the bearings when you swap tires is the best choice.
True, and HD wheel bearings leave alot to be desired from what I have seen. Heard of plenty of HD wheel bearing failures.

·
Registered
823 Posts
That has got to be the most bizarre thing I've even heard. I do high lean angle hijinks at everything from parking lot figure 8 speeds to 100mph+ ... And I haven't seen a wheel bearing fail yet. I've warn the entire rim off the Gremlin Bell the dealer gave me frolicking about in corners, and took the paint off the back corner of the left saddle bag at 70 mph one day when I hit a bump in a turn.

So if that kind of high speed shenanigans don't cause enough dynamic loading to wipe out a wheel bearing, and you're running straight up enough to wear an edge in the tire profile...(so as to make it whine in corners)...then your wheel bearings should probably outlast your grandchildren.

Now tire cupping I've seen a ton of, but that's primarily due to my - perceived by some as bad - habit of breaking hard and late in corners.

Old school tech: if the back wiggles, the front is broke (steering head/front wheel bearings). If the front wiggles the back is broke (swing arm bushings/rear wheel bearings). Speed wobble points are always in 30mph increments. 30, 60, 90, 120, etc. if it don't wiggle then...it ain't broke.

I've been in and out of a 90+ high speed wobble more times than I care to count ... And I've never seen a hole in the above theory.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
8500-some miles on our '15 CVO, rear tire howls like a sum-bitch in turns..........

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
8500-some miles on our '15 CVO, rear tire howls like a sum-bitch in turns..........
At just over 9900 I guess I am doing good with a minor hum then :laugh:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok. Never heard it like that on my other HDs. Glad its not serious. Looking at the tread and considering the amount of miles expected. The rear will be due for a change after the trip in two weeks.

·
Registered
654 Posts
That's just tire cupping. New front tire time. Might as well put a new rear one on too. So much for vacation money.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts