Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.....
I don't really no where to begin,
Living in Galveston, does have it's ups and downs, and we had our share of storms over the 20+ years That our home has endured.
Our home actually took a pretty good shot, tearing off section of roof, 10 × 10 on the corner, we have metal shutters, so the doors and windows made it through unharmed, my 8x10 storage shed is gone, but the lawn tractor is still there, but when the storage shed blew apart it took a 20 foot section of fence with it, i have an oak tree that is uprooted,
I haven't a clue where the hot tub cover went, and that top was latched down with center blocks on top of it, we have yet to find it. My flagpole snapped clean in 2, with no flags on it, that pole was a heavy gauge aluminum and it was a clean break. All of our outdoor furniture is gone, and we haven't found those either,
Now for the up side, both my trucks and my wife's car, the boat, the golf cart, and my three Harleys are all ok.
We live on the very west end of Galveston, and that part of the island is only a half mile wide, with no kind of barriers to block storms or storm surge, our house is about 300 yards from the beach, we are on high ground so the 26 inches of rain that we received, really do not affect us too much, there is quite a bit of flooding with a lot of wind damage,
There are power lines down all over the place, and nobody really knows when the power will be restored,
Again I feel like we are one of the lucky ones, 11,000 kw generator and 30 gallons of gas on hand.
If I had to take a guess I would say that 80% the West End either moved in town where there is a seawall for protection, or just Plain evacuated.
My wife and I are quite experienced with hurricanes, and for the most part our house is built very well very solid, not once have we ever evacuated including hurricane Ike.
The reason we stay is because we have too much to lose, we will protect my house and the neighbors houses at all cost. The few people that do stay all have guns, and there will be no looting or stealing here.
This is when I love being a Texan, we are gun happy in this household, we have multiple weapons for any occasion that may arise, and display them proudly for those people we do not know.
I am carpenter by trade, and build beach houses for a living. I have already been to Home Depot and bought the necessary supplies to fix and repair my roof, right now the roof has a tarp on it so it's kind of secure, I've already called in on the troops, and we will start repairs tomorrow, another thing I like about being a Texan, friends and neighbors roll up their sleeves and help one another out of the goodness of their hearts with nothing expected in return. Meaning that when my is repaired, my wife and I will do the same for our fellow neighbors. When the wind settles down, a couple of friends and myself will fire up the pit, and start cooking for the neighborhood. Plenty of venison and hog, plus fish to last a very long while, it was time the empty out my freezers anyway.
I know I am rambling, but my anxiety is very high. I just put my mom in a nursing home yesterday who is experiencing Alzheimer's, also have taken money out of my savings, to help the employees that work for me to get by till we start rolling Again, my phone is ringing off the hook already, but I feel like I have a certain obligation to my friends and neighbors, again that's a Texas thing.
I know in my heart that we will be okay, but doubts and anxiety sometimes play tricks on the mind,
And gets your brain spinning like a top.... in some way posting this thread has help me catch my breath and take it all in....
i love this forum, and the members in it, and it is nice to have a place to go to, and ease your mind.

Christopher
AKA TexasSmoker

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Chris, wow! Glad you are able to do the work and keep living in the area. Great that you all band together to help each other out. I hope all gets cleared up and you all get back to normal.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Your on the right path, stay strong.

Reactions: Mike U

·
Shark of the Month October 13
10,012 Posts
Well.....
I don't really no where to begin,
Living in Galveston, does have it's ups and downs, and we had our share of storms over the 20+ years That our home has endured.
Our home actually took a pretty good shot, tearing off section of roof, 10 × 10 on the corner, we have metal shutters, so the doors and windows made it through unharmed, my 8x10 storage shed is gone, but the lawn tractor is still there, but when the storage shed blew apart it took a 20 foot section of fence with it, i have an oak tree that is uprooted,
I haven't a clue where the hot tub cover went, and that top was latched down with center blocks on top of it, we have yet to find it. My flagpole snapped clean in 2, with no flags on it, that pole was a heavy gauge aluminum and it was a clean break. All of our outdoor furniture is gone, and we haven't found those either,
Now for the up side, both my trucks and my wife's car, the boat, the golf cart, and my three Harleys are all ok.
We live on the very west end of Galveston, and that part of the island is only a half mile wide, with no kind of barriers to block storms or storm surge, our house is about 300 yards from the beach, we are on high ground so the 26 inches of rain that we received, really do not affect us too much, there is quite a bit of flooding with a lot of wind damage,
There are power lines down all over the place, and nobody really knows when the power will be restored,
Again I feel like we are one of the lucky ones, 11,000 kw generator and 30 gallons of gas on hand.
If I had to take a guess I would say that 80% the West End either moved in town where there is a seawall for protection, or just Plain evacuated.
My wife and I are quite experienced with hurricanes, and for the most part our house is built very well very solid, not once have we ever evacuated including hurricane Ike.
The reason we stay is because we have too much to lose, we will protect my house and the neighbors houses at all cost. The few people that do stay all have guns, and there will be no looting or stealing here.
This is when I love being a Texan, we are gun happy in this household, we have multiple weapons for any occasion that may arise, and display them proudly for those people we do not know.
I am carpenter by trade, and build beach houses for a living. I have already been to Home Depot and bought the necessary supplies to fix and repair my roof, right now the roof has a tarp on it so it's kind of secure, I've already called in on the troops, and we will start repairs tomorrow, another thing I like about being a Texan, friends and neighbors roll up their sleeves and help one another out of the goodness of their hearts with nothing expected in return. Meaning that when my is repaired, my wife and I will do the same for our fellow neighbors. When the wind settles down, a couple of friends and myself will fire up the pit, and start cooking for the neighborhood. Plenty of venison and hog, plus fish to last a very long while, it was time the empty out my freezers anyway.
I know I am rambling, but my anxiety is very high. I just put my mom in a nursing home yesterday who is experiencing Alzheimer's, also have taken money out of my savings, to help the employees that work for me to get by till we start rolling Again, my phone is ringing off the hook already, but I feel like I have a certain obligation to my friends and neighbors, again that's a Texas thing.
I know in my heart that we will be okay, but doubts and anxiety sometimes play tricks on the mind,
And gets your brain spinning like a top.... in some way posting this thread has help me catch my breath and take it all in....
i love this forum, and the members in it, and it is nice to have a place to go to, and ease your mind.

Christopher
AKA TexasSmoker
Wow, that was kinda fun. I read every word you wrote and I felt like I was caught in the middle of a tornado, spinning, spinning, faster and faster. I was exhausted by the time you finished, but I was thankful you actually got to an end ... for a while there I thought you were going to spontaneously combust ....poof!

I'm just rankin' on you a bit. You've been through a high stakes event and came out the other side pretty whole. We're all thankful for that. Get that roof repaired and then do whatever needs to be done next. You've been there before so you know the drill. Good to know that except for some yard stuff the aftermath isn't too bad for you.

·
Super Moderator
9,762 Posts
@TexasSmoker Chris glad to hear that You made it through another Hurricane pretty safely.
There’s nothing like Texas Pride Brother.
Our whole Country should be that Proud.
Mike U.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still no power, and it doesn't look good,
The old Generac is running strong, and we are using the hot tub water to flush the toilet, do you receive and text message from the water company, they are saying we should be back up 3 hours. The electric company on the other hand, has got their hands full, over the years we've learned enough not to take pictures of our friends or Neighbors, you can see the stress and worry on a lot of people, we are all good as long as we don't run out of gas for the generator. The main part of Galveston is back up and running, with power and water my son said the power came for at his house a couple hours ago. But the West End of Galveston really took a shot, you can hear it generators all throughout the neighborhood, we got the pit fired off and are preparing food for anyone who wants it,
I hope he does not like last time, it took 5 days to get the power turned back on. On the bright side there are gas stations open with available gas.
It Is amazing to see everyone come together, hugs and smiles, that lift the lowest of spirits, after assessing the damage in our neighborhood, 90% of the houses made it without too much damage, if there is a silver lining in that black cloud, it would be that we have a large Pavilion, and people are returning stuff that they found in their yards to the Pavilion, got my hot tub cover back and the missing pieces from my shed.
when I started that thread it was early this morning, and I was pretty well stressed out, pride is an amazing thing, it makes you strap up your boots, and do what's right. And I have to tell you that is one feeling they can't be measured.
we will be back to normal in a couple of days, I know it. Things are already looking brighter. This is the first forum I've ever joined, been a member since 2014, lurking in the background reading all the threads that I could that help me work on my bike.
I actually made my first post 2 weeks ago, and I liked it so much and I became a premium member. I know it's not required but I just wanted to do it. The threads that I have started, or commented on,the members this forum, have showed me a lighter side to life, but with informative information.
sometimes my wife can be a real pain in my ass, she nags me a couple times a year to to add 1/2 gallon of gas, fire up the generator, and let it run empty.
under her breath, she gave me and I told you so, when the generator fired right off!!!
my spirits are better this afternoon we actually have a game plan, and when the anxiety takes over, I go to my bedroom start reading various threads from this fourm. That allows me to put my happy face back on, and not see the concern by the lines on my face. We are old hands at this, and I've been through many storms. But anxiety just has away of missing your brain up, too many what is.
well I guess I won't be seeing FedEx or UPS today, my stuff has been out for delivery since yesterday🤣🤣
keep my political views to myself, but fighting has to be the worst president ever!!! I feel like he's taking money from the people that do work oh, and giving it to those who don't work, I see our economy tanking in the future, because of him. He insulted our servicemen to protect our country. He needs to change his way of thinking, and you was right for the American people, as you can tell he is not well received in Texas!!!! You will not see texans asking feeling to help, Texans roll up their sleeves and get the job done, way before FEMA makes there evaluations. Okay I'm done with my political rant. Time to go check on a couple of briskets. Give my wife a break. Thank you'll again

and tomorrow is a new day......

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Great to hear y'all came through without bad damage. Y'all hang in there and if you can keep us up to date on the situation. Prayers and thoughts to all there!

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Glad to hear you made it through with just minor damage. Material things can be fixed or replaced. Keep your head up and keep moving forward.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to take a minute, to say thank you to All our servicemen, regardless of what branch, or where you server, you are greatly appreciated, and I thank you for my freedom. And we live were the flag still means something. And don't take too kindly for someone who does disrespect the flag, and I promise you, I will use my First Amendment right, to put somebody straight who disrespects the flag dealing with. Although I am a Texan first, I am also a very Proud American!!!
And with the direction that America is going, is more important than ever to acknowledge our servicemen.

Regardless of how I feel about our president, still have a strong admiration for our military, and what they do for our country hats off to you. And thank you for what you do.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Good luck to you and your family. Stay strong Brother.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today is a new day,
Even though there is still no power, with the help of my crew, (working on there own time) we were able to repair or fix many houses, that can be repaired correctly at a later date, the main part is they are ok and there houses won't be damaged the weather in the future,
We are at this time we are repairing my roof, and putting the shed back together,
We used a 5,000 lbd winch, wich is mounted to the front of my golf cart, to straighten my oak tree back up, and stake it down, I still have an elm tree that needs straighting and restaked, my wife has been working on the hot tub, and i gave her permission to plug into the generator, when it is cleaned and ready to go,
Water is back on, so we are good to go in that respect.
My wife and i got into a pretty heated discussion over the Generac, she wanted a little one from home Depot, and I wanted a big one, so I bought the Generac behind her back, and took a serous ass chewing, but after the second time, it fired up the whole house, and not just the freezers.
She finally let up, it is and older model gas only, Not dual like the ones they have today. Wich can run on propane and gas.
I guess the next big fight will be when we switch over to solor, my luck a storm would take the solor panels and be gone with the wind, like my roof.......
Ok Ok nothing wrong with that good old Generac.
And to tonight we will be serving bbq venison, with flounder, red beans and cornbread, and homemade mash potoes..
1 Freezer emptied, and bow season right around the corner, we won't have to make room. My daughter out did us all last year with a 10 pointer by bow. She puts both my boys to shame, and can gut and clean a deer faster than my friends, she uses a little 2" knife that my dad gave her. And sharpens it as needed She works like a surgen
Point is......were eatin good round here....
My daughter.....

Wheel Tire Smile Plant Hood

·
Registered
522 Posts
nice rack........and don't cut her short......pretty sure thats an 11 point.................

·
Registered
4 Posts
The best news is health is intact. Material things can repaired/ replaced, but family can't ! Two days before my 640 mile trip to Friendswood, my daughter waved me off. I can't ride to Houston without rain, but flooding is a whole different ballgame . If the Good Lords willin and Houston don't flood, I'll get another chance to watch my grandson play ⚾. I honestly don't know how y'all do it🤔 God bless ya and GOD BLESS TEXAS

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She had my 308 with her, we pace it off at about 65 yards, from were she took the shot, she borrowed my $850 PSE compound bow 5 years ago, and I aint seen it since, Now she trying for the 308,
And it's not happin....🤣🤣🤣
Biggest Buck i ever shot was in Potter County Pennsylvania,
The best news is health is intact. Material things can repaired/ replaced, but family can't ! Two days before my 640 mile trip to Friendswood, my daughter waved me off. I can't ride to Houston without rain, but flooding is a whole different ballgame . If the Good Lords willin and Houston don't flood, I'll get another chance to watch my grandson play ⚾. I honestly don't know how y'all do it🤔 God bless ya and GOD BLESS TEXAS
I love living on the beach, always have, the first time I lived on the beach with Virginia Beach, the second place I was with Myrtle Beach, third place I live with Daytona Beach, 4th place I live with Cocoa Beach oh, this place I live with in Jacksonville close to the beach, now I live in Galveston, as far as features go it's on the bottom of the list, as far as the lifestyle goes, and the people that live on the island, the best place I've ever lived!!!!!
Friendswood it's about 45 miles away, when you make it, hit me up for a Coke and a smile, and I've also been known to drink a Mexican beer or two, where are you running from? be safe when you make that Journey okay.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
She had my 308 with her, we pace it off at about 65 yards, from were she took the shot, she borrowed my $850 PSE compound bow 5 years ago, and I aint seen it since, Now she trying for the 308,
And it's not happin....🤣🤣🤣
Biggest Buck i ever shot was in Potter County Pennsylvania,

I love living on the beach, always have, the first time I lived on the beach with Virginia Beach, the second place I was with Myrtle Beach, third place I live with Daytona Beach, 4th place I live with Cocoa Beach oh, this place I live with in Jacksonville close to the beach, now I live in Galveston, as far as features go it's on the bottom of the list, as far as the lifestyle goes, and the people that live on the island, the best place I've ever lived!!!!!
Friendswood it's about 45 miles away, when you make it, hit me up for a Coke and a smile, and I've also been known to drink a Mexican beer or two, where are you running from? be safe when you make that Journey okay.....
I’d enjoy taking you up on the offer! Nick really bummed me out because it looks like it could be two months before my next chance to head south. Home is the little panhandle town of Canadian, 100 miles NE of Amarillo

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just thought I'd give you an update, things are back to normal, with the exception of lots of work, when we had no power, and only a half a bar, for the phone.
This forum was a blessing, I read hundreds of threads, and these threads eased my mind, I actually did a few mods to the bike as well during my downtime, I did the $6 tank lift, I did the $15 siren, I ordered a set of progressive shocks off of Mike U, ( special shout-out to Mike as well, gave me a great deal on a pair of shocks, and allowed me to do away with the factory air shocks after 11 years.)

I a humble man saying thank you!!!
Oh yeah, and one other thing, this form rocks!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts