Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Illinois & Indiana Travel

MoRob, don't know whether this might apply to you or not, but if you don't already know Illinois does NOT have carry permits, does NOT honor permits from any other state and in Illinois carrying concealed is a felony.

I normally detour around Illinois.

Louisville Joe

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. But theres no way around Illinois for me, It would take me a day to go around.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I haven't ridden US-50 in Illinois, but US-50 through Indiana Is a nice ride.
They both are ok, but Indiana is way more OK than Illinois. On either end, highway 50 in Missouri and Ohio are not to bad either.

As a general rule, since they mostly parallel each other, US-50 is a nice alternative to I-70 anywhere.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
MoRob, don't know whether this might apply to you or not, but if you don't already know Illinois does NOT have carry permits, does NOT honor permits from any other state and in Illinois carrying concealed is a felony.

I normally detour around Illinois.

Louisville Joe
While concealed carry is not permitted, one can legally transport a weapon through Illinois if the proper steps are taken. Here is a link put out by the Illinois State Police showing the procedure. I would still recommend calling the State Police to verify to information on the brochure is up to date before proceeding.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
anybody ever travel this route. Im thinking about it but not sure what its like.
It goes through every town the interstate bypasses, and they all have stoplights. Not necessarily a bad thing, just the way it is. And this time of year expect to encounter your fair share of school busses, farm equipment, etc too. But being in a suburb of Frankenstein, you already know about that stuff.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
US-50 through Indiana Is a nice ride.
+1....50 through Indiana is a very nice ride east of Washington, which is in the western part of the state. From Washington to Bedford is particularly tasty, the limestone capital of America. The ride from Bedford on east to Cincinnati isn't bad either. The only place where red lights are bad are Seymour and over as you get near Cincy in Aurora and Lawrenceburg. Watch your speed between Seymour and Lawrenceburg, the state police post is in Versailles and they don't have much of a sense of humor.

50 through Illinois is flat and straight so flat and straight you could take a nap on your bike and not worry about running off the road....did I mention it was flat and straight?? LOL

·
Registered
720 Posts
I live just two miles off US50 in a burg called Dillsboro. It is about 9 miles west of that Auroar that was previously mentioned. It is four lane in this area, stay in the passing lane as much as possible on the four lane portion. The "Speed bumps" aren't as bad! The expansion and contraction thru this area makes those speed bumps.
If you want give me a shout and maybe we can break bread if the timing is right! I will PM you my cell number. I want to take US50 out to St. Louis to visit my brother before it gets too cold this Fall.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts