Road Glide banner

Hydraulic clutch master cylinder sight glass

9K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  CSS899 
#1 ·
There isn't one on my 2018 Road Glide Special.

I guess the only way to check the fluid level is to remove the cover and gasket. That sucks. The FM is strangely quiet on checking the fluid level. Is there something in the reservoir that would tell me where the level should be?

#6 ·
On my ‘16 RGU I have a spyglass on the right side of the reseivor. Because the clutch oil gets very dirty though usage it can look as black as the reseirvor itself and get masked
To see the level, with the bike upright, turn the steering all to the right to level the reseirvor and you should see the level just in the middle of spyglass.

#10 ·
"If it is not leaking the level is fine don't open it needlessly."

I know this is an older thread, but the lack of a "window" on the clutch side is definitely a bummer (I love my bike, but really HD?). I had some shifting issues when I rode last week; it seemed like the clutch wasn't completely disengaging. Fortunately, it didn't really affect my long ride (250-300 miles). Just a noticeable difference. Then the scooter sat in the garage for a week. Yesterday, however, I went to go on a much shorter ride and lo-and-behold, the clutch would definitely not disengage completely. All the way pulled in clutch handle and the bike was still moving (had to hold the front brake to keep it from taking me down the road when I didn't want to; finding N was pretty much impossible). Holy crap! Called a local buddy (MJsdouble on the forum; thanks for stopping by at the drop of a hat Kenny) and we checked to see if there might be fluid transfer into the primary (as I am aware this can cause issues). There was some overfill, so I may have to deal with that. But when we checked the clutch reservoir, fluid was WAAY down. Sure enough, air also got into the line. Bled the clutch line; problem SOLVED. Still concerned about how the level got to be low, but wouldn't know that was the case without opening it up.
Now, I don't know how this happened as I couldn't see any evidence of leaking in the line (I do have an AIM replacement slave cylinder); could be that there might be leaking on the backside (into the tranny). But how would you know if you can't check the reservoir without opening it?
Bottom line; I'm gonna periodically check the reservoir by opening it up. Whether that is "needless" or not, I can't say. But not having a window rules out any other option. I presume that the brake fluid shouldn't drop significantly either, but at least you can look at that without opening up the reservoir.

Also, if you have some clutch disengagement issues I would suggest checking the fluid level (friendly FYI suggestion). My bike is a 2018 RG Special with no prior issues.

#11 ·
Now, I don't know how this happened as I couldn't see any evidence of leaking in the line (I do have an AIM replacement slave cylinder); could be that there might be leaking on the backside (into the tranny). But how would you know if you can't check the reservoir without opening it?
Exact same thing was happening with me, 2017 RGS with the AIM cylinder gen 2. I called AIM and they said it could be a faulty seal inside the unit, but I would have to send it back to them to be sure and to get it replaced..... That wasn't really an option for me at the time so when I start to feel the tension in shifting, I just take off the lid and refill the reservoir.

I just picked up a new head pipe, so while the pipe is off, I'm replacing the AIM with a Rekluse slave cylinder. It's probably beyond the warrantee period now but will call Aim and see if they can/will rebuild it. fingers crossed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.