Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so here is the long drawn out story. I ordered bars so I removed wires installed in new bars they didn't fit so I removed wires got another set installed wires they fit. in the middle of pulling and installing there was a one wire clip that is grey with a black stripe the connector broke off so I soldered the wires together. plugged everything in and BAM it all worked so I installed the gauges and bolted it all down. once I did that the right side went to shit I cant get the switch to do anything no blinker, no 4 way flashers, and no start. bought a new switch still the same issues I have checked every fuse and every connection still nothing what the hell can I do now. its a 2015 road glide ($25,000 paper weight) also now the check ingine light and the security system light are on.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Ok so here is the long drawn out story. I ordered bars so I removed wires installed in new bars they didn't fit so I removed wires got another set installed wires they fit. in the middle of pulling and installing there was a one wire clip that is grey with a black stripe the connector broke off so I soldered the wires together. plugged everything in and BAM it all worked so I installed the gauges and bolted it all down. once I did that the right side went to shit I cant get the switch to do anything no blinker, no 4 way flashers, and no start. bought a new switch still the same issues I have checked every fuse and every connection still nothing what the hell can I do now. its a 2015 road glide ($25,000 paper weight) also now the check ingine light and the security system light are on.
Start over and take your time. I'd bet something came loose or is grounding out. Probably came loose ,since your fuses are not pooped. The best of us had to do it twice. :)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I created my own nightmare installing bars on my 15 RGS. After de-pinning the plug and running the wires I managed to put them back wrong TWICE. I bet that's your problem. Unplug everything. Pull the
bars,leaving the switches attached, and closely examine the plug. There's pictures and a video on the Road 6 Customs website.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have taken it all apart and slowly put it all back together triple checking every connection. I have even walked away and came back the next day this has been gong on for 2 weeks and I just can seem to figure out what it is.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I have taken it all apart and slowly put it all back together triple checking every connection. I have even walked away and came back the next day this has been gong on for 2 weeks and I just can seem to figure out what it is.
Pull back apart any connectors and make sure you didn't bend any of the pins. It's very easy to do and hard to see.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Idid the same thing when I installed my first set of bars on my 15. Pull back the black sheathing on your wires near the controls. I pinched and cut the red wire on mine and had to solder it back together. I had the same symptoms,it was tough to see so really look for marks or nicks in the insulation. Hopefully its an easy fix.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Pull back apart any connectors and make sure you didn't bend any of the pins. It's very easy to do and hard to see.
Good advice Gary. Just talked to him on the phone and said the same thing. Also, sounded like he had a really hard time pulling them thru so asked him to check the wires behind the connectors too.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Talk to Rock103

I believe he wore this situation out and became the authority.

·
Registered
365 Posts
just buy end to end wires from namz and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts

I hate to see you give up...... But 2 weeks in, with no ride? I'm with Khaotic on this one- Cut bait, take your losses, and replace the wires.

I've butchered my share of wires in the past. I've gone to the trouble of de-pinning, and re-pinning. Cutting and splicing. Cutting, extending, and splicing. Cutting, shortening, and splicing. And of course- getting new wires. New wires are BY FAR the easiest, but not the most cost effective method.

I used to justify having 2 bikes by saying one was to ride, the other is to work on. Now, with 3- I try to keep them all road-ready. Winter is down time for me. I don't tear into anything that can potentially have me down for more than a few hours during riding season.

Good luck with your repair.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You all are amazing

Smarty Thank you ssooo much for the telephonic help last night...all of you kick ass for being so helpful. I pulled the wire covers off and check every wire and sure enough there were 3 breaks I soldered them back together and installed it and BAMMMM she is alive again. Now for a LONG test ride... thank you all again this site is the best I have been on so far...

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Smarty Thank you ssooo much for the telephonic help last night...all of you kick ass for being so helpful. I pulled the wire covers off and check every wire and sure enough there were 3 breaks I soldered them back together and installed it and BAMMMM she is alive again. Now for a LONG test ride... thank you all again this site is the best I have been on so far...
Congrats!!! It's a nice feeling to know you win!!! >:)>:)>:)

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Man, glad to help, but really, you solved it yourself. i just gave you a pep talk! Glad to hear it all worked out. Now ride and come down and lets have a beer a Strokers!

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Sometimes the 4th time is the Charm.:grin::surprise::grin:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
This... especially if you are installing bars with sharp 90 degree angles or peaks. I used all factory wiring on my 2015 RG when I installed the Road6 standard apes (all curves at every angle change). Pulling the wires was fairly easy.

But my riding buddy decided to go with the FMB Mayhem 1 1/4" apes on his 2015 RG. He special ordered 13" tall bars and after he fiddled with the wire pull for hours decided to give me a call and enlist my help.

We finally got the wires pulled but managed to booger up one or more wires or connectors in the process. The thing that really sucked is that we functionally tested every button and function on both the left and right hand side controls before locking everything down. However, after we tightened everything up we experienced the exact same symptoms that the OP reported in his original post.

After messing with that for another three hours I recommended that he gave in and go buy an end to end wire extension kit so that we could cut and solder everything. We went up to the local Indy and ordered the LA Choppers wire extension kit. Total cost of $37.99.

So much easier....................

1 - 18 of 18 Posts