Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Paul Yaffe 10" Monkees. 5 Hours total to Wire internally and Put bike back together from the time UPS dropped them off, about an hour prior to prep bike. I chose to cut connectors off and re-soder as didn't want to take the chance of breaking a pin and glad I did, this was no easy feat, I'm tired as hell. And everything worked on RGU. Local Mo-Co said I would be calling them to come pick up the bike by Wed. Damn it's going to feel good to ride in there tomorrow with bragging rights, They quoted 10 hours Start to finish if I brought them the bike and bars at $96.00 an hr, Labor.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Great job!! Not an easy task.

I really want to go up to 12, i went with the 10s thinking the 12s would be too much... but I am NOT going through all that ever again, so the 10s will stay on the bike lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't fool yourself, not easy but found out with the right side Contols in it's all in the prep work ,Left side went through pretty quick once I got a hang of it, Plus with an Ultra you wouldn't believe how many wires ther are, believe it was 36 I had to keep track of soldering. Want to thank NEANO62 whom I bought the bars from ,REAL STAND UP GUY!!!. Got them to me quick. Tough Job however " The feeling of not having to pay the MoCo 10 hrs labor to do it for me ,PRICELESS!!!!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
welcome to the D-I-Y yaffee bar club. Fun wasn't it. Now be sure to give yourself a pat on the back and gloat at the HD shop. rub it in real well because they would.
HRD

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
welcome to the D-I-Y yaffee bar club. Fun wasn't it. Now be sure to give yourself a pat on the back and gloat at the HD shop. rub it in real well because they would.
HRD

Trust me I was there at 9am this morning to GLOAT my butt off, You should of seen the look on their face when i asked them to step outside after what they told me yesterday, their Jaws dropped.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Don't fool yourself, not easy but found out with the right side Contols in it's all in the prep work ,Left side went through pretty quick once I got a hang of it, Plus with an Ultra you wouldn't believe how many wires ther are, believe it was 36 I had to keep track of soldering.
Ok now I get it! I just had no idea what it entailed. LOL Wow that's a lot of wires. I'm a patient man I'm not scared! :eek: LOL

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The feeling of not having to pay the MoCo 10 hrs labor to do it for me ,PRICELESS!!!!
That's it. This is my inspiration! I bought new bars almost 2 months ago and now it's time to get 'em on. I don't care if it takes me a week (it probably will) but I'm gonna give it hell. I ain't payin the MoCo either!

Great job Hamer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
16 Posts
congrats on doing it yourself!!! feels great doesnt it. the money saved is a great feeling as well! one piece of advice to folks going to attempt internal wiring i would suggest is dont be afraid to take the connectors apart and save yourself from having to solder. it really is a breeze and you wont break the pins, even if you do, you can just crimp a new one on, might save you 30 to 60 minutes. once again just a suggestion but if you can solder you can dissasemble the plugs

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya.. thought about just disassembling the plugs like in Donks Sticky which was tremendously helpful for the whole project, just didn't want to take the chance breaking the pins without the right tools, my buddy did it without cutting wires and soldering.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts