Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 14" Gangster Apes sitting in the box at my house waiting to be installed. I am out of town for work and I am doing some research for my install. I watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_rXjTnnvjY and now I am second guessing my ability to pull this off seems like alot of work especially the clutch and brake lines they pulled the seat and gas tank. Does anybody know of any shops in the salt lake city to ogden area? I have called a few dealerships and they want between 500-700 to install bars...Ouch seems kinda high for professionals with all the know how and tools.

·
Super Moderator
12,349 Posts
What year bike do you have? If it's 08-13 pulling the tank and seat are too simple, still pretty easy on the older models also. The hardest part to changing bars IMO is getting the wiring through the bars, the rest is pretty easy. Do you have a service manual? The manual will help with this and many other projects, if you have a little patience and any kind of skill you can do the bar swap, unless you have money to throw away it's not worth the kind of $$$ some shops want for the install.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year bike do you have? If it's 08-13 pulling the tank and seat are too simple, still pretty easy on the older models also. The hardest part to changing bars IMO is getting the wiring through the bars, the rest is pretty easy. Do you have a service manual? The manual will help with this and many other projects, if you have a little patience and any kind of skill you can do the bar swap, unless you have money to throw away it's not worth the kind of $$$ some shops want for the install.

I have a 2013 and I bought the 1.5" gangsters I figured the wires would slide through pretty easy.

·
Super Moderator
12,349 Posts
The wires will go through easy except where there are sharp angles or curves. When I wire bars I usually pull them through with a steel wire, and some kind of lubricant, the lubricant makes the job so much easier. Also sometimes you may have to make the opening slightly larger on th handle bars, it goes on a case by case basis.

·
Registered
836 Posts
It took me all of ten minutes to slide the wires through on my gangsters. I have 16" and did not extend the wiring. The clutch and brake lines are easy. Get a mightyvac to bleed the brakes. The hardest part about the clutch is the monster snap ring for the ball ramp assembly and then threading the new cable into the clutch cover just because it wants to be a whore.

You can do it. It took me and my buddy a day to do it and we really had no clue. Just take your time label if you need to and if you get stuck pm me and I'll give you my number and you can call if you get stuck.

I hate seeing people spend that much money to get something bolted on. The dealer quoted my buddy 400 to install his harley heated grips. We had them installed in 30 minutes. Always check this forum somebody has usually done the mod already and has had trouble at some point so the answers are hear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It took me all of ten minutes to slide the wires through on my gangsters. I have 16" and did not extend the wiring. The clutch and brake lines are easy. Get a mightyvac to bleed the brakes. The hardest part about the clutch is the monster snap ring for the ball ramp assembly and then threading the new cable into the clutch cover just because it wants to be a whore.

You can do it. It took me and my buddy a day to do it and we really had no clue. Just take your time label if you need to and if you get stuck pm me and I'll give you my number and you can call if you get stuck.

I hate seeing people spend that much money to get something bolted on. The dealer quoted my buddy 400 to install his harley heated grips. We had them installed in 30 minutes. Always check this forum somebody has usually done the mod already and has had trouble at some point so the answers are hear.
Your electrical wires were long enough with 16"? Where did you get your cable kit? I saw the one from La choppers made for 12-14" apes is this a good kit? What about your 1.5" riser where did you get yours? I appreciate your offer to help maybe I can tackle this.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Your electrical wires were long enough with 16"? Where did you get your cable kit? I saw the one from La choppers made for 12-14" apes is this a good kit? What about your 1.5" riser where did you get yours? I appreciate your offer to help maybe I can tackle this.

Zoom alot of people have said you don't need wiring extensions for these apes. Also you can get the riser from La Choppers for around a 100 bucks there is one rfor a road king and on for the Road glide the road king one has been reported to work fine, and is 20 dollars cheaper.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have any problems with those cables not being clipped down in the fairing rattling around in there?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Redneckmedic I am gonna give it hell this set of days off. Wish me luck! I have the 14" carlini Gangster apes, La chopper clutch and brake line, La choppers 1.5" bar clamp, Arlen Ness deep cut comfort grips, Dragos True duals, Thundermax Tuner and a performance machine air cleaner to install. I may take you up your offer to give you a shout if I get stuck.

·
Registered
490 Posts
post pics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts