Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes: I am happy that I had my wheels changed 18 rear/21 front, but I noticed the ride has changed a little. Can't turn as much and some what of a little strain on the hands/arms when turning. Although I love the ride/look. When I got up this morning to admire/rub the RoadHog, I noticed the outer front wheel spacers can move. I moved them left to right about 1/16th of an inch on both sides, is that normal :confused: ? I also noticed that when I turn the handlebars to the ultimate left or right, the discs rub more. Can that be from the wheel not having the proper spacers?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Spacers moving is NOT normal. You need to get that corrected ASAP!.

Did you use stock spacers or did the new wheel have included?
Did you measure the width of teh new hub & compair w/ the old hub?

·
Registered
828 Posts
the 18" rear and 200 mm tire is not a good combo. If you are having a weird shimmy in the bike, that could be the cause.

·
878 Posts
+1 on Jetman's response. And he was being nice...moving wheel spacers can do things on the road/street that will kill you. And no I don't work for the MoCo legal song and dance department...

Nino...I would seriously consider trailering that bike to the people that did the changeover for ya...seriously!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the quick response, I kind of figured that :mad: .

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Thanx for the quick response, I kind of figured that :mad: .
When I cut the neck off my Honda Sabre & installed a Harley WG style F/E, I fought w/ spacers for days. I finally took off the American suspension POS & ordered an Ultima F/E. It came w/ the correct spacers & I was golden after that.
If you know how to use & read a caliper & are certain you can get true & proper measurments w/ the wheel centered, great. If not, PLEASE do as
BLKNCr6 suggests & let someone who knows what to do, do.
Looks are great man, but ain't worth a shit when your on your side........

·
878 Posts
"I got a Wheel problem! "

Well dats what fwends are for...:D
That's hilarious. Now I''m going to be hearing Elmer Fudd all day long. Thanks a bunch...grin.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a wheel problem

Last week, I was sooooooo happy to have my ride back :) and that the wheel bearings where defective and seized up on the axle causing a lock-up. Luckily I did not wipe-out or get hurt ;) They replaced it and off I went. The next day, I was off and went for another ride and it did the same thing, bearing couldn't handle the load :confused: . I got it towed back to the shop and couldn't understand what is going on :mad: . The bike is back at the shop due to the axle spinning and turning the cam lock to make the rear wheel loose :eek: . I had it....I'm changing techy!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay..here it goes...My techi stated that when the wheel was installed, the bearings could not seat properly due to the incorrect crush-tube, that inturn threw off the preload of the bearings :confused:. Did that sound alright? Anyways...I kind of had it, I am shoping around for another techi. Its going to take a while due to solidarity between shops and not wanting to step on eachothers toes :eek:. So far so good, my wheels are holding up, I went for a ride on a road that had alot of bumps and is uneven. :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Okay..here it goes...My techi stated that when the wheel was installed, the bearings could not seat properly due to the incorrect crush-tube, that inturn threw off the preload of the bearings :confused:. Did that sound alright? Anyways...I kind of had it, I am shoping around for another techi. Its going to take a while due to solidarity between shops and not wanting to step on eachothers toes :eek:. So far so good, my wheels are holding up, I went for a ride on a road that had alot of bumps and is uneven. :D
When I read your post before this one, the first thing that came to mind was that the spacer that goes between the bearings in the wheel is either missing or the wrong size. I don't know if I'd call it a "crush tube", it's not supposed to crush.

And yes, you'll lose a bunch of handling going to a 21" front wheel. Surprised the hell out of me too the first time I switch a bike from a 16" to a 21".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts