Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blessing of The Bikes today at Bald Knob Cross.

Got blessed and had the first long ride today with some great people. I have to give a special thanks to the wifey. She doesn't like riding in overcast, cold weather and that's exactly what we had today. But, she was a trooper and we logged quite a few miles. Road from Mount Vernon, Il down to the Cross at Bald Knob, got blessed, rode over to Great Boars of Fire and ate lunch, over to Grand Tower, IL and stood by the Mississippi River for a bit, then wandered our way around and back up to Mount Vernon. If you haven't ridden in Southern Illinois we have some great riding and NO helmet laws. Can't beat that :)
Took a couple of pics -
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
931 Posts
Passed that cross many times, never knew it was called bald knob cross! too funny, i'm gonna giggle now evertime i pass from hear on out!! :D

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Passed that cross many times, never knew it was called bald knob cross! too funny, i'm gonna giggle now evertime i pass from hear on out!! :D
You sure it's this Cross? This one is out in the boonies and just outside Bald Knob, IL. It is on a road that leads, and dead ends, at the Cross. So it would be almost impossible to drive by it without knowing the name.
There is another cross that is located right on interstate 57 up near Effingham, IL. Maybe that's the one you are thinking of.

Anyhow, it is a funny name for sure. I often think of Beevis and Butthead when someone says the name.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you were blessed. got to ride that some time !! You got you a trooper for a wife.Take care Brother
Thanks Qksift. She is a trooper for sure. It got up to 60 degrees but was overcast and the humidity was at 89% so it felt much cooler and was damp which never helps. We didn't see the sun all day but thankfully it never rained either. You, and the wife need to plan a weekend this way and we'll hit all of Southern Illinois' beauty.

We can ride along the Ohio River and take in some neat places such as Cave in Rock which is a large cave overlooking the Ohio river and was used by pirates. Then Garden of The Gods, Fern Clyffe State park, Giant City State park and over to the Mississippi. Some unbelievable scenery and riding. I'll even buy you all dinner!

Google it. It's worth a google.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
You guys get this way we will get some real KC BBQ and I will buy fore sure!! But we will head south and ride My RG,Booby backrest and a curvy country road don't get better than that!!!

·
Registered
988 Posts
That is a great area to ride. I have been to all the places you mentioned Pacfan on a bike and on a horse. I was born in Anna. I will be down there in June for a family reunion. Planning on riding down.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a great area to ride. I have been to all the places you mentioned Pacfan on a bike and on a horse. I was born in Anna. I will be down there in June for a family reunion. Planning on riding down.
Anna has some great roads, and scenery, around it. PM me when you get down this way and we can do some riding.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
We have a Bald Knob, AR just south of where we live. I have been to Mt. Vernon 1/2 dozen times but always just freeway to Dale's HD and freeway back to Arkansas. Would be great to get a guided tour of the great riding you described someday. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
931 Posts
You sure it's this Cross? This one is out in the boonies and just outside Bald Knob, IL. It is on a road that leads, and dead ends, at the Cross. So it would be almost impossible to drive by it without knowing the name.
There is another cross that is located right on interstate 57 up near Effingham, IL. Maybe that's the one you are thinking of.

Anyhow, it is a funny name for sure. I often think of Beevis and Butthead when someone says the name.
Yup, thats probably the case.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have a Bald Knob, AR just south of where we live. I have been to Mt. Vernon 1/2 dozen times but always just freeway to Dale's HD and freeway back to Arkansas. Would be great to get a guided tour of the great riding you described someday. Thanks for posting!
I'm not from Mt Vernon but I have lived here for the past 13 years or so. I'm from further down south in Illinois. I'd be glad to host an event and give you all a guided tour of the Shawnee National Forest areas that I call home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts