Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2009 road glide cvo screamin eagle 110 with a stage one air cleaner, Vance and Hines X Pipe and CFR exhaust the bike also has a tune with Harleys race tuner, now I apolojize if I sound stupid about some of this but I am a novice when it comes to engines and the Harley dealer just wants to sell me a 120R and that isnt what I am looking for. From the homework I have done I have found out from Doc that the bike has 255 cams and they dont work well with CFR exhaust, I want more performance but nothing crazy or too expensive so I was just thinking to change the cams? any idea's? recently I rode with a couple of guys that had 09 road glides with 107's and they just left me behind, they said they were shifting at around 4k RPM or even higher and there bikes screamed, they were running d&d fatcats and with the cams it sounded unreal. Thank you for any help you can give.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Cams, big bore, or?

Sounds like you have a 96? Start with cams that you can build from for a big bore in the future. Bike maybe running lean too even though you have a tuner. Give Jamie at FM a call for advice you can trust.

Post edit: Okay after reading posts subsequent to mine I realized I have no idea how I missed the stated! My bad. I blame winter and no fresh air resultant from riding!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The 09 CVO was only offered with the 110 and 255 cams from the factory. Unless I've missed something..........

Asking cam questions will get you a million answers and questions back. I'm no expert so I won't offer advice. Curious, Do you know if your cats are still in the head pipes?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 09 CVO was only offered with the 110 and 255 cams from the factory. Unless I've missed something..........

Asking cam questions will get you a million answers and questions back. I'm no expert so I won't offer advice. Curious, Do you know if your cats are still in the head pipes?
Yes its a screamin eagle 110, the stock head pipe was replaced with the vance and hines x pipe.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The stock 110s are slow, from what I am able to gather, a cam change really perks them up.

I have a V&H x pipe and like it, the tuners that I have spoke with, say the x pipe is good to go with certain mufflers.

Personally, I am pretty much set on the SE stage III kit w/259e cams and the 10.5-1 pistons, and either PowerVision or TTS

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
A couple more things to consider -
You might get more out of the bike with head work as compared to swapping cams. Head work will help everything flow better and a lot of guys, that ride the CVOs, will tell you that is a must. The SE255 cam pulls hard in the low end to mid range. So depending on your riding style/needs it might be fine. I've never heard that they don't work well with the CFRs.
Also, you might simply have a bad tune.

Again, just my two cents and I'm definitely no mechanic.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Those V&H x-pipes are good performing pipes. Your cfr's are killing your low end and the 255's are low end cams that fall off early, so you're losing on both ends. If you were to get some different mufflers and cams like the Andrews 57 or the new Kuryakyn tc24d(should be available within a few weeks) with a good tune you would have a very strong running 110. Ask any tuner for their recommendations for good performing mufflers, you probably won't get any to suggest the cfr's. I understand they sound great, but if you really want to realize the most performance for the least money you will probably have to chose something different.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Those V&H x-pipes are good performing pipes. Your cfr's are killing your low end and the 255's are low end cams that fall off early, so you're losing on both ends. If you were to get some different mufflers and cams like the Andrews 57 or the new Kuryakyn tc24d(should be available within a few weeks) with a good tune you would have a very strong running 110. Ask any tuner for their recommendations for good performing mufflers, you probably won't get any to suggest the cfr's. I understand they sound great, but if you really want to realize the most performance for the least money you will probably have to chose something different.
What MyGlide has stated is correct, the CFR's are open so no low end back pressure to be found. You might look at the crusher mellows for mufflers and the 24d cam as a good starting point. From there compression / larger throttlebody, headwork.

Another decent combination is the Andrews 54, .030 headgasket, some headwork bring compression to 10 to 1, spin drop the heads to help the squish since your pistons are most likely in the hole or below cylinder deck height. exhaust recommendations remain the same or look into a good 2 -1 pipe which will only help further.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
There IS NOT, a cam out there, in the 10.0 cr range, that will stand toe to toe, with an S&S .570.
That, combined with head work will bring that engine to life.
Big, broad, cool running, power.:)
Scott

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Don't be surprised if your stock CVO gets left behind by a 107. A Screamin Wallet beats a Screamin Eagle 9 times out of ten.

A tad bit faster, is a thirst I can't seem to quench. Seems there is always room for more HP/TQ. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
My understanding about the cfr mufflers is they or for exhaust with the cat still in them head work or a higher compression pistons and a cam change.The 110 has a lower compression then the 103.You may be able to change the baffels on the cfrs that will help them

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The stock 110s are slow, from what I am able to gather, a cam change really perks them up.

I have a V&H x pipe and like it, the tuners that I have spoke with, say the x pipe is good to go with certain mufflers.

Personally, I am pretty much set on the SE stage III kit w/259e cams and the 10.5-1 pistons, and either PowerVision or TTS
'Rode Mitchdm's Skunk yesterday w/ the SE Stage III, it's settled for me.

'Just trying to settle on a tuner of some sort, I really want something that tunes while riding, to accomodate octane, altitude etc... without having to change maps
(our '09s came with wide bands)

Does anybody have any recommendations????

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Some thing simple and easy Thunder max does all......:D

'Just trying to settle on a tuner of some sort, I really want something that tunes while riding, to accomodate octane, altitude etc... without having to change maps

·
Registered
218 Posts

Your 09 did not come with wide bands they came with 2 wire narrow bands which fit into the same bung size as a wide band. The new 4 wire were moved down in the pipe to a 12mm bung instead of the original 18mm bung. The new 4 wire heated narrow band sensors came out in 2010 and support the Lambda tuning functionality and files. Once the VE's are in place with the Delphi, it will adjust to a certain extent for elevation and some for fuel, but that only goes so far.

Power Vision Wide Band With the screen can be worked on on the road
TTS Narrow Band
Direct Link Either depending on the tuner.
SESPT Narrow Band

For any of these the Dyno is still the best way to get the WOT data vs. bits and pieces of it.

Depending on how much you want to fool with it, it would seem that TTS or PowerVision are the leaders atm provided the limitations are understood as far as the narrow band capabilities and where they end for V-Tuning vs. Smoothing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts