Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took the scoot out for a little ride. It was 39 degrees when I left and it never got above 41. I rode for 250 miles and it felt great. I have heated gear and it makes me feel so loose. After 120 miles I stopped for fuel and wasn't stiff at all. The bike loves that cold air too. Another great thing, when I got home not a single bug hit my bike LOL. I remember one year leaving for Daytona and it was 31 out and when I got down there it was 81. That was nuts.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'd do it to. If it wasn't for all the salt. My Wrangler looked white today. Its burgandy. lol
Thing is with salt, we drive our cars & trucks ALL winter long, through snow, slush, salt and it takes YEARS for rust to develop. So a ride or two on a road that has some salt on it...meh, clean the damn bike and you'll be fine. Most likely you're gonna trade that bitch in on something newer WAY before any rust occurs anyway.

Wade

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd do it to. If it wasn't for all the salt. My Wrangler looked white today. Its burgandy. lol
They never salt down here. They put sand down which is awful because it lasts forever. If we get a storm I have to ride in the tire tracks for months after it's gone. Intersections have a very high ass pucker factor if you have to turn LOL.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Thing is with salt, we drive our cars & trucks ALL winter long, through snow, slush, salt and it takes YEARS for rust to develop. So a ride or two on a road that has some salt on it...meh, clean the damn bike and you'll be fine. Most likely you're gonna trade that bitch in on something newer WAY before any rust occurs anyway.

Wade
They never salt down here. They put sand down which is awful because it lasts forever. If we get a storm I have to ride in the tire tracks for months after it's gone. Intersections have a very high ass pucker factor if you have to turn LOL.
I live in what's called the Snow Belt. Also known as the Rust Belt. It's not just salt but a brine spray with beets juice I believe in it. It's harsh. The 1 year old rock sliders and body mounted tire carrier are both turning orange from rust. I cant do it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

Wade
I live in what's called the Snow Belt. Also known as the Rust Belt. It's not just salt but a brine spray with beets juice I believe in it. It's harsh. The 1 year old rock sliders and body mounted tire carrier are both turning orange from rust. I cant do it.
We use a synthetic liquid spray on our roads (not beet juice) that is extremely harsh on paint and chrome. Seeing as how I am most likely to never trade my RG, it will stay off the roads while the brine is on it.

That being said, I was riding up to the end of Oct, where the temps were -3c when I left for work in the morning. Didn't bother to get my heated gear hooked up for those few weeks, only rode 120 miles per day.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can only imagine being right off the lake. I had chrome wheels on my old truck and 1 trip through WVA ruined them. That stuff is no joke. I wouldn't do it there either. Some of the guys I ride with down here in VA park their bikes all winter. I'm a transplanted NYer so the cold doesn't bother me. As long as there is no black ice.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Cold riding is great. I use Salt Away on the bike to prevent rust, and I've never had an issue. The Night Train is almost 15 years old, and it's got zero rust.
?... what is this "salt-away" that you speak of?..... sounds like I may need some with a testimonial like that!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
?... what is this "salt-away" that you speak of?..... sounds like I may need some with a testimonial like that!
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/SA32M-Concentrate-Mixing-Removing-Cleanser/dp/B0000AXNJO/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIusCK1JP05QIVzZyzCh0FzgYwEAAYASAAEgJR-_D_BwE&hvadid=241641316755&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=200511&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7593600411533275302&hvtargid=kwd-1610084369&hydadcr=26614_9892224&keywords=salt+away&qid=1574093617&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNTZRNVlRV0g1UkZHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTg0MTk4M1I0N1M5S1dDRzRETyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTkzNDk1MjBQSFhGTjlJSTdHUCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=[/ame]

Best stuff in the world.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Curiousity got the better of me, so I had to look up what the heck it is that they spray on our roads, because it will cut channels into snow banks. Our road crews spray Magnesium Chloride onto our highways and roads to prevent icing. Not only does this stuff like to corrode metals, it will pit aluminum and can sometimes leave black motors with white spots all over the block. Basically, if you value your bike, you shelf it around here through the winter months and wait until the roads are washed clear of the brine in the spring.

A little light reading for those curious (there are pictures further down) ;)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S221450951730030X

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Curiousity got the better of me, so I had to look up what the heck it is that they spray on our roads, because it will cut channels into snow banks. Our road crews spray Magnesium Chloride onto our highways and roads to prevent icing. Not only does this stuff like to corrode metals, it will pit aluminum and can sometimes leave black motors with white spots all over the block. Basically, if you value your bike, you shelf it around here through the winter months and wait until the roads are washed clear of the brine in the spring.

A little light reading for those curious (there are pictures further down) ;)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S221450951730030X
I fell asleep 8 times trying to read that. lol

I can't believe that use such a corrosive formula on roads. How long do your cars last in Canada?!?

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
My 2012 RG Custom and I love the colder temps for riding.
I just make sure before the cold season that all my Heated Gear is working properly.
I've been caught in snow and ice storms while travelling home from work when in NYC and luckily always made it home safe.
I usually don't ride after the first big snowstorm unless we get a nice rain shower to clean the roads.
Otherwise, I will hibernate until Spring Time.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I fell asleep 8 times trying to read that. lol

I can't believe that use such a corrosive formula on roads. How long do your cars last in Canada?!?
Just skip to the pictures and conclusion, then! lol Justification for using the brine is cost vs effectiveness at preventing fatal car accidents. The gov doesn't worry about peoples' vehicles, the studies are done to see what is happening to their bridges and infrastructure - as this stuff makes aluminum fragile.

Paint can last a long time if you wax/seal the paint twice per year. The undercarriage gets rusty real quick. If you are doing suspension replacement, everyone soaks the bolts the night before or you are going to have a real fun time trying to break them without heat.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts