Road Glide banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
The plain black Harley ones. Installed them when I did the bars.
I have the same ones on My 12 Custom and they work just fine.
They're good to have when You go out on a nice day and it turns cold and You don't have Your Heated Gear with You.
Just turn on the Heated Grips to keep Your hands warm.
Mike U.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Speaking of riding in the cold, what are some good heated grips that you guys recommend?
The plain black Harley ones. Installed them when I did the bars.
Yes, The plain rubber Harley ones are the best. They get hot really fast unlike grips with metal on them. Word of advice always wash sunblock off your hands in the summer or it breaks down the rubber on the grips and they get sticky, also your hands get all black.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I live in what's called the Snow Belt. Also known as the Rust Belt. It's not just salt but a brine spray with beets juice I believe in it. It's harsh. The 1 year old rock sliders and body mounted tire carrier are both turning orange from rust. I cant do it.
Thats a no-sh!tter. That brine is no joke and it will flat eat your bike up, and they put it down days before it snows. I ride in winter but not unless its rained between the time they treat the roads and I ride. I rode one time days after they salted the roads and the naked eye couldn't see any salt on the road but it was there and I was the white knight by the time I got back.

Some say just wash it. Thats a good idea but oddly enough sometimes its warm enough to get a ride in, but not warm enough to wash it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Back in 1974 when I took a loan on my first bike (1974 XLCH Sportster @ $2,600) it was my sole means of transportation, and I rode it about 12 miles each way, back and forth to work, right through the year.

Being an AMF the kick-start broke after a few months and I didn't have the money to fix it, so I was running along side holding in the clutch in 2nd, and then jumping on it and releasing the clutch. I smoked back then and would be sucking air like a old broken bellows. I remember not being able to open my fingers for 10 minutes or so, after some of the colder rides.

Fast forward to today--if it goes below 50, I'ma in my heated truck.

....oh and it was uphill both ways back in the old days!

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Looks like I need to add heated water the list for the current shop build.
Now if only I could get rid of the snow/ice between the garage and highway, I'll be set. Stupid gravel roads.
When I built my house I ran hot water to the garage just for washing bikes in the winter. Doesn't work so well. Rags freeze to the bike.

The only way it works is to have a drain in the garage, which is against EPA rules because of pollution.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I get that! Can't decide if heated grips makes me a wimp, or highlights my ability to adapt and overcome...
I went to a friends one night and some of my riding buddies were there. I rode there and I was the only one who rode. It was about 45 out that night. A friend was checking out my bike. He noticed my heated grips and seat and started busting my balls. I said where's your bike tonight? He said home. I said "who's the wuss now"? He shut right up. Wisdom is the reward you get for surviving on this planet for a while. I've rode many years without heated gear and it wasn't a lot of fun and it's also unsafe because you get really stiff and don't react as fast. I like not wearing 5 layers of clothes. A long sleeve tshirt, heated jacket liner and my leather jacket without the liner in it. I don't use my heated gloves unless it's bitter cold because of my grips, just my fall gloves mostly. Down low, heated pant liner and my leather pants, heated socks if it's a long cold ride. I have a wireless 2 zone heat troller that's mounted under my left switches so I can adjust my upper and lower zones separately on the fly very easily. Having all that makes me ride all year long and I didn't by my bike to watch it hibernate in the winter when it runs the best in that cold dense air.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I too don't mind the cold rides, with the right gear that is. I live at 5500' in southern Utah and to get to a little warmer climate in the dead of winter is a 45 minute run then down in southern Nevada, Northern Arizona and much warmer. in our younger days, we would leave here two up at around 10 degrees and icy road in January to make the Las Vegas Harley "Frosty Balls" rides. Buuuurrrr!

Have a good ride

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
i will usually ride down to 40°F with heated vest.
bought it 2 years ago and was amazed at how well it works.
the cold air running down my back always got to me, but the vest cured that.
lowers go on in the late fall and long johns keep my legs comfortable.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
This southern boy must be a wimp, I hate cold weather (mid 40s and below)!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I live in what's called the Snow Belt. Also known as the Rust Belt. It's not just salt but a brine spray with beets juice I believe in it. It's harsh. The 1 year old rock sliders and body mounted tire carrier are both turning orange from rust. I cant do it.
Yea they use that brine every time they mention chance of snow here. Its the salt dust sometimes they put so much down looks like you're riding on a dirt road.That dust gets in places you can never wash out,pits the shit out aluminum in nothing flat. Luckily no salt yet here!

·
Registered
196 Posts
When I built my house I ran hot water to the garage just for washing bikes in the winter. Doesn't work so well. Rags freeze to the bike.

The only way it works is to have a drain in the garage, which is against EPA rules because of pollution.

Drainage is taken care. Furnace is up and running. It's getting running water to the building, either run it 100' from house or I drop a sand point in.

Unfortunately living on a gravel road with gravel driveway, you can never get all the snow and ice completely off.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Drainage is taken care.
Lucky you. My garage is attached to the house. Inspectors wouldn't give me occupancy with a drain in my garage.
I've been considering drilling one in now that we are all settled.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 06's 95 cu in absolutely loves the cold. I moved to my new house a few years back in Jan and the temperature was barely 0°F and she was a whole different beast. Just an absolute screamer. We went out for a ride first week in January here in WY and it was 49. That is a tropical heatwave compared to the single digits and low teens we've been having lately. Still had to ride two up down the icy alley to get it to the relatively dry pavement that still have ice patches on it. We put on a solid 60 mi that afternoon. Good times for sure!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts