Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy the stock speakers, they are ok. I am tired of maxing or near maxing the stereo volume in traffic or on windy days.:mad:

I am looking for advice on 4 speakers that replace the factory speakers in the factory locations. 4 speakers and tweeterpods would be fine too.

I want an amp to power the 4 speakers and use the factory head unit to feed the sound.

I would like everything to be plug and play. I have no desire to butcher my harness.:eek:

Does anyone have suggestions? J&M? Hogtunes?

Personal experiences of what DIDN'T work?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Look up Hawg Wired have had it now 4 years and it has seen every tpe of weather imangable and the sound far exceeds the ones you mentioned. There is better but for the money great product and Frank at Dragos has a sale on . :eek:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I want an amp to power the 4 speakers and use the factory head unit to feed the sound.

I would like everything to be plug and play. I have no desire to butcher my harness.:eek:

Does anyone have suggestions? J&M? Hogtunes?...
You already know the answer to your own request. I used J&M Rokker and loved it.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm very happy with the J&M stuff!!!

If you want much better sound out of the HK, send it to Iron Cross Audio for the preamp outs.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Hw amp and hertz speakers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
+1 on Hawg Wired. JMO, get a remote amp controller unless you just LOVE pulling your fairing off and on to ajust your amp:eek:. I added 4 speakers and an amp from HW last year and was pretty impressed with my sound but nerver quite satisfied. I pulled my fairing several times to adjust the freq and gain and couldnt seem to get it JUST right (in a garage, no wind, motor off/on). Also, for under $90 you can get a sweet media player (No CD) that powers your phone and allows pandora/sirius.......but then you have to get an adapter kit and other stuff to keep your thumb controls....it never ends:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
It isn't cheap, but Biketronics has an Ultimate Amp and Speaker Combo w/Pods for $1099.85. This will give you 7.1's front and rear with the BT4180 amp. I have the 7.1's in the front and the 6x9's in the lids with the BT4180 and I will guarantee you it jams. I also replaced the stock radio with the Jensen HD1BT. Not an absolute necessity, but I wanted a radio that accepts USB and Sirius/XM radio, this got me there.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i went with hawg wired speakers front and back,and a sound stream amp,100% better then the hog tunes speakers and amp that was in the bike when i got it.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Been running J&M's 500w amp with their Rokker speakers for 2 years now. Couldn't be happier. My last RG had J&M's for about 4 years and never an issue either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I posted above yesterday, but to reiterate, the J&M Performance kit was a breeze to install, and at $599 from Direct Cycle Parts, a bargain. I am very happy with the improvement.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I went from hogtunes to all hertz. HDP4 amp and 6 speakers, and never looked back lol.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Kappa Speakers and JL amp 400/4. I couldn't resist.. :cool:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
You'll be amazed at how well those kappas sound with a stronger amp. I just replaced my xd400/4 with a soundstream tn4.900d. Instead of 100 watts per channel at 2 ohms from the JL, this soundstream sends them 225 watts per channel (which is their max rating). In all honesty the speakers are seeing about 210-215 watts each and there is almost ZERO gain adjustment necessary.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I enjoy the stock speakers, they are ok. I am tired of maxing or near maxing the stereo volume in traffic or on windy days.:mad:

I am looking for advice on 4 speakers that replace the factory speakers in the factory locations. 4 speakers and tweeterpods would be fine too.

Does anyone have suggestions? J&M? Hogtunes?

Personal experiences of what DIDN'T work?
I've been trying to find the same solution as you for my FLHTCU. I also added some criteria to my search. The speakers have to be specifically built for motorcycle applications or at minimum marine grade.

As far as drop in speakers/amp that are in a kit and plug and play, Hogtunes, J&M and HD Boom are the ones I know of. Personally, I'm thinking of HD Boom speakers with the Hogtunes amp.

I like the Hogtunes amp because it allows you to keep the AVC and is a four channel, plug and play solution.

I now see Rockford Fosgate has a drop in, four speaker kit with a plug and play amp that I may check out.

A few have mentioned Hawg-Wired. I have their stuff in my RGC. Good stuff but I don't think it meets your criteria. HW doesn't have a drop in speaker for the rear speaker pods. Also all of HW amps are two channel, not four, so to power up front and rear speakers you need two amps or give up your front to rear fade. All this means they don't have a drop in kit solution for us.

Some one above mentioned the HW four in the face kit. I have really thought about that kit but it doesn't use the rear speakers in the stock location. Also, its only a two channel system. If I went two channel in my Ultra, I may go with this kit but I really want to keep four speakers in the stock locations and keep the front to rear fade.

I think J&M stuff is OK. Its loud, but I think its expensive for what you get. I've heard it but have never really been impressed for what they are asking for it. I really can't say much else about it. My goal isn't see how loud I can make my stereo.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Personally, I'm thinking of HD Boom speakers......
Do yourself a favor and stop thinking. You're willing to spend money, dont spend it on that crap.

I think J&M stuff is OK. Its loud, but I think its expensive for what you get. I've heard it but have never really been impressed for what they are asking for it. I really can't say much else about it. My goal isn't see how loud I can make my stereo...
Again, you're willing to throw money away at that boom crap but you think J&M is overpriced? I had the Rokker system for a few years and loved it. Yeah it was a little pricey at first, but it was well worth it after the initial buyers remorse wore off. If it were me, i think I would go with ANY other complete plug and play over the boom crap.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Do yourself a favor and stop thinking. You're willing to spend money, dont spend it on that crap.

Again, you're willing to throw money away at that boom crap but you think J&M is overpriced? I had the Rokker system for a few years and loved it. Yeah it was a little pricey at first, but it was well worth it after the initial buyers remorse wore off. If it were me, i think I would go with ANY other complete plug and play over the boom crap.
What makes the HD Boom speakers "crap"? At 70 mph how can you tell a difference?

I have the HW "Double Shot" system in my RGC. Its fine sounding on the kick stand, and I can hear it just fine at 70 MPH but I'd be hard pressed to get any real sound quality at 70 MPH with the wind noise, exhaust noise, ect...

I'm not understanding how HD Boom is any worse (or better) than any other speaker at 70 MPH, other than louder.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'd go with focals and a jl amp. Nothing special about the motorcycle "brand" speakers except the price. JM amp is the same as the arc just rebranded. Get a good head unit. I have biketronics 2180 now with 7.1s in the fairing and 6.5s in the lowers. Its loud but bright. I got a screaming deal so i bought it and it has a good warranty. I need a head unit. I had better quality sound out of my arc amp and polks. I dont care for the sound of JM and I think they're over priced but sound is subjective. Go to some bike nights and listen to systems. Talk to the owners. Just remember most people think waht they spent their money on is great. I am being honest and not recommending biketronics unless you go with a head unit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
336 Posts
I keep reading about those "Kappa Speakers", Does anybody know if they fit in the Inner Fairing WITHOUT cutting into the Glove boxes? I got the Polks in there now but Feel its time for a change...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts