Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Inner Fairing Speakers......I need a little......

Help/Balls.............haha. So here goes, I have 2 h-donut amp mounts, I will only use one now, but im installing both so that its there and not going to get lost in my misc HD parts, 1 RF PBR300x4, 4 RF power T165's 6.5", speaker reducers, and misc amp and speaker wires. I am having my buddy color match the speaker grills from the RF, and the speaker grills from hawg wired. The help I need is in regards to the "inner fairing" speaker install.... Any guys running the power T165 in the inner fairing??? what are your measurements on the cuts you made to the fairing, I don't want to lose my pockets.....Man am i nervous about cutting into my fairing.... I have included a few pics of my own bike, then a PYO bike that is close to mine and will give you an example of what im going for in my speaker install..... When i get started ill take some pics and post as well......Since its winter i have some time and i can bounce from the shark to the ShovelHead Wide Glide(engine rebuild with some minor "tweaks")....

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Dbell sent me the PYO pics, but ...... are there supposed to be some sort of measurments with them?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
There are no measurements with them, but they do show a good location for the cutouts, I used the same RF speakers that you are using, and didn't loose the boxes, but if you use the RF grills, the upper bolt on each side of the fork tubes wil need to be changed out for a little added clearence, I used chrome hex button head, and gained the extra little I needed.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
StripClub.....The pictures do help, Does anyone else have any pics, or measurments on this kind of install..... Again i am wanting to cut inner fairing for RF T165 power series..... What size hole do you cut?.....I just quickly flipped through the RF speaker book , but i did not see a "template" I will check again after work.....I should have the rest of my goodies when i get home,,,,, Then i am shipping the grills off to paint, when i get them back look out..... Is it easier just to remove the inner fairing? how hard is this to do???? I have removed the outer fairing a few times but i have never removed the inner........

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I did mine on the bike, I removed the outer fairing, and the gas tank, tapped the inner fairing up where I wanted to put the holes. I made my own templets up out of cardboard, I used the speaker grill as my outer diameter, and cut the center hole of the cardboard out so the speaker would just fit inside, and used that to marked out the holes, and used a Dremel with cutoff wheels to cut "actually more like burn/cut the plastic" for the speaker holes, it wasn't easy but can be done, the smaller tweeter holes in the front, I used a holesaw. I know it is hard to make the first cut, but once it is done, it is so worth it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats a good idea to use the cardboard, how do you get the 4 screw holes in there working around the glove boxes, also did you cut from the inside or out? Do you think the "burn" will affect my painted inner?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Post some pics as you do this. I'm going to do the same upgrade when it is a little warmer out. I'm debating on cutting the holes with the inner fairing in place or pulling it off and cutting. Wondering how much work pulling the inner is.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thats a good idea to use the cardboard, how do you get the 4 screw holes in there working around the glove boxes, also did you cut from the inside or out? Do you think the "burn" will affect my painted inner?
I drilled the holes using a short bit and angle drill from the fork side towards the glove boxes. I cut the holes also from that side. The cut/burn should not get that hot to damage the painted area around, it just kind of melts the plastic at the cut, the speakers, and grills cover that area up well.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will post pics, When i get the grills back from paint, they should get in the painters hands by friday and i can expect them in about a week or soo.... Im very nervous but after talking to a few of you guys i have a bit more confidence measure 20 times cut once!!!! haha lots of blue painters tape!!!!!! go slow!!!!!! haha

·
Registered
272 Posts
I will post pics, When i get the grills back from paint, they should get in the painters hands by friday and i can expect them in about a week or soo.... Im very nervous but after talking to a few of you guys i have a bit more confidence measure 20 times cut once!!!! haha lots of blue painters tape!!!!!! go slow!!!!!! haha

I did a write up when I did mine, it "might" help. I used different speakers but you will get the idea. If my inner was painted I would have done it the exact same way.

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=58777

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I read your post before starting this thread, the main difference is that i want to retain my factory glove boxes. But your thread will also be viewed for encouragment when i start mine!! haha

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am just waiting on my painted parts now..... I am going to post pics as i go... here is the first one of all the goodies!!

I am using 2 of the h-donut amp mounts that I got off of Garvin90..
Rockford Fosgate 300x4 amp
Rockford Fosgate Power T165 6.5" coax x (4)
5.25" to 6.5" speaker adapters
8 ga amp wiring kit from Wally World
Speaker wire from HD Dealer......My OCD required me to get the same color wires!! haha

The painted parts are the RF speaker grills and hawg wired metal grills....

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PYO likes using the rockford fosgate head unit.... If you go to either bagger nation or RF website you can view it.... Its a pretty slick system... no cd but appearently that is a thing of the past.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts