Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions and pics. I have an 8" KW shield. I love it! Wouldn't change it for anything. For what I use my bike for, it works. However, we're planning on riding 700 miles to sturgis and back and on the interstate at 80 mph, I'll be deaf when we get there.

I need some suggestions for a good shield that will still look good. For my height (6'3") I know I should be ordering a 16" shield, but that's not gonna happen. However, i did ride my dad's '15 CVO on sunday and realized what it was like to year the radio on the interstate for the first time.

Items I'm considering:
- I WANT the black 10" windvest but i'm sure that is no more protection than my KW
- I'm considering a dark smoke 12" or 14" Windvest
- Also intrigued by the Freedom Shield in the dark tint, also 12" or 14".
- Installing a used 12" KW Flare that I already have but have never installed.
- Buying a fullface helmet and saying f#ck it.

Concerns are if the 12" is pointless because the wind will still hit me in the forhead? Is the 14" too tall for the 16" carlini apes?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Put your empty beer can 50 feet in front of your bike, on level ground (never use a full one, you might spill it). Sit on your bike. Figure out how high you can go with your windshield, and just see the can over the top of where the shield would be. Having someone help measure comes in handy.

For me at 5'10" that's a WindVest 12. Funny thing is, when I get on my bike first thing, I sit a little taller, until my spine compresses and I relax. A 14" would be good then. But after I relax, the 12" is perfect.

Keep in mind that if you get caught in rain, you want to be looking over the top of the shield. But you want it high enough to protect you from a majority of the grasshoppers in the grasslands. With all that said. My suggestion is a 12" Windvest..... AND ...... buy a set of Matazu vented lowers. You will be happy with the lack of buffeting....... and you'll be surprised at how nice your stereo sounds.

Here's a WindVest 12 Gunsmoke

You know your windshield and lowers are working when you can ride like this. I usually wear a ball cap, but sometimes you just have to cowboy up at 60mph.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Two things here I have the 8 KW and have put thousands of miles on with it. But I always put the foam deci damp plugs in always. But when cruising and the bugs are bad the full face comes out and or a thunder storm . Nothing like a full face in driving rain or Critters

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I'm 6'1" and have the 10" Windvest. They are sending me a 12". The 10" is too short and hits me right above the eyes with wind. With a full face it's fine but with the long rides I do it is not enough. The 12" should be just right.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a Freedom 12". Probably better off with a 13", but 12 is workable.

There is a thread on here about Freedom, suggest you take a look. Also, I think their web site has a measurement method.

C ya in Strugis

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My $.02
Go with the 14' Freedom Shield. I started there, but it was too short for me.

I'm 6'5", I have 14" apes and a 16" Freedom Shield on a '13 RGC. I look right over the top of it. My '07 had 16" apes and a tall (?) windshield. No problems with handle bar clearence on either one.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Go Madstad 13" best choice IMO adjust low for solo riding, raised for 2 up. Or raised for long highway rides, better wind management. Had three other shields no one beat Madstad, best wind buffering on the market.
Good luck...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Items I'm considering:
- I WANT the black 10" windvest but i'm sure that is no more protection than my KW It will protect better since it lacks hips that do nothing other than look cool.
- I'm considering a dark smoke 12" or 14" Windvest Choose the size that you can see over.
- Also intrigued by the Freedom Shield in the dark tint, also 12" or 14". Another pretender to the Windvest but if you want to look through the windshield choose a Clearview instead.
- Installing a used 12" KW Flare that I already have but have never installed. Only if you can see over it, otherwise enjoy the distortion or wall-eye vision.
- Buying a fullface helmet and saying f#ck it. Not only will you enjoy worse buffeting get some Advil for a full day of wind slap coming off the Klock Werks!

An 11in Madstad is perfect for me on long trips but I take from what your saying it's looks aren't for you.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I run a 14" LRS ( Long Ride Shield) I also have 16" apes. This is perfect for me I'm 6' but more torso then leg. If your only concern is your hearing go with ear plugs. If you go with a taller shield chances are after your trip it stays on after you realize the comfort benefits versus looking cool trust me we all have been there.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all. Appreciate the responses. Any good pics of a roadglide with a 14" shield on? Any difference between Freedom and Windvest?

Also, i've been using ear plugs but appreciate everyones comments there. Great for around town or up to about 55MPH. But even with some expensive shooting rang plugs I bought, it's still brutal at 75MPH for anything more than 50 miles. And maybe it's not so much the wind noise as the turbulence creating pressure in your ears. I don't know. I'll probably still continue to use plugs.

Question between the 12" and 14"... I'm getting a second seat that will change my rider position from my DG Buttcrack I usually use. Curious if with a 12", does it clean up the air even if you go a size down? or if it's too short, is it no different than my KW? If that makes sense... probably not. I notice even with my KW, there is a defined line you can slouch below where you get clean quiet air. Didn't know if it was the same with the WV and Freedom.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm riding to Sturgis as well.....decided to take the plunge and get a Madstad 16" for the trip. (6'5") As many times as I've heard how ugly it is, i'm not as dissapointed as I thought I would be. Seems to work great so far, and I don't even hate the look.
Nice Glide Red Ryder! Can you tell me about your seat. Looks comfy-Otis

·
Registered
491 Posts
That's a long way to ride to be worried about sacrificing comfort over looks. Just put on something that is going to make it an enjoyable ride, no need to get the shit beat out of you because of "Form over Function". Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I need a trip shield

Halstem1

I just returned from a cross country run. 6700 miles in 14 days. That said I debated upon the same issue prior to taking off. In the end i bit the bullet and went with the KW 12 dark. During the entire trip I only had to clean my glasses one time. I don't care for the look of the taller shield, but I can't complain about the extra protection that it gave me.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did a 300 mile, 1 day trip this weekend. Made some mods to the bike for a bit of a test run. Swapped out my 8" KW for a plain ol' 12" HD windshield. Actually a big difference. I think I needed 2 more inches on the shield to get out of the wind completely. I could hear my stereo. Didn't feel beat up. Still ran ear plugs which I still don't love because I can't hear cars come up behind me and such. I think i'm going to try the 14" Freedom and order it. I don't know how much difference there is to the windvest but reviews suggest Freedom offers a little more protection.

I will say, the taller shield does act a little more like a sail on the front. I'm not saying the KW "hips" do anything spectacular under 100MPH but it did feel more effected by wind gust and passing semis. Just my opinion on the taller shield.

Taller shield didn't help my back pain after 200 miles but that is another story... :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts