Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been looking into windshields for my '10 RGC as the stock one offers little protection.

A friend gave me his old 12" KW to try out. Its in pretty rough shape but it was free so I thought id try it.

I have kinda read a little about these "wellnuts" but I didn't think much of it. I figured Harley wouldn't put something that bad on a $20k+ bike, right?............. WRONG! WRONG WRONG WRRRRRRONG with a capitol R!

What the heck is this crap?!?!?!

2 out of 5 of them literally ripped. They popped right out of the fairing. I had to use vise grips to get the little screw out of the mini-nut thing and it tore right off the rubber. I tried using glue and electric tape to hold it together. I should not need to use glue and electric tape to try to fix 1-time removed stock parts on a $20k dollar motorcycle!

So now I essentially have only 3 bolts holding my shield on. And on Friday I need to ride it at 65 mph for an hour to get to the HD dealer for an apt to try to fix a mystery leak. Wishng I woulda just left this alone :mad::mad::mad:

Not pleased with HD right now.

What do you guys do to fix this and does it really work? I read about the no wellnut fix but I don't want to take the outer fairing off to change a windshield, especially since I may be putting another one fairly shortly.

What I want:

The very easiest, smartest, safest way to fix this issue. I don't really understand these well nuts or how they held my stock shield on at all.

Educate me please. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I now understand how its suppose to work. Thanks. Boy mine weren't even close.

I see why they shouldn't be reused.

My next concern is the holes in my outer fairing. I think they are oval or egg shaped, and I bet they aren't suppose to be. Do these well nuts come in a longer size to make the rubber expand larger to fill a larger hole?

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
My next concern is the holes in my outer fairing. I think they are oval or egg shaped, and I bet they aren't suppose to be. Do these well nuts come in a longer size to make the rubber expand larger to fill a larger hole?
yes, they are supposed to be. and yes, you can use different sized wellnuts, up to your liking. i've bought some from a local hardware store that have a larger diameter and thicker head on them so i don't need to use the second piece, the rubber washer that is used on the stock.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do like Chainsaw's method to install there, I will use that. I will never take a shield off again without having new well nuts.

·
Registered
654 Posts
L.M.A.O. You used electrical tape and glue? Silly. Your should use duct tape. As Red Green (the Canadian duct tape king) says, 'if the women don't find ya handsome, they will find ya handy'. :D

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, they are supposed to be. and yes, you can use different sized wellnuts, up to your liking. i've bought some from a local hardware store that have a larger diameter and thicker head on them so i don't need to use the second piece, the rubber washer that is used on the stock.
Ok good. Do most of you guys get yours from a hardware store or do you order them online? Are there better ones online that cant be gotten at a general hardware store? I may take a screw with me tomorrow to see if I can find any at a hardware store.

I also just ordered a set of black Spiked windshield bolts that do not need a screw driver. I hope these work good with well nuts.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Actually, I have to go get some fresh well nuts. On my last windshield install a couple looked to be in poor condition, and now that I think back, I think I put one in upside down.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
L.M.A.O. You used electrical tape and glue? Silly. Your should use duct tape. As Red Green (the Canadian duct tape king) says, 'if the women don't find ya handsome, they will find ya handy'. :D
I gotta admit, I did consider duct tape haha. I was hoping to glue and tape the well nut back together :eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Whenever I remove my windshield, and as long as the well nuts are in decent shape (no rips, tears, etc) I boil them in water for 10 minutes, they go right back to like new shape and can be reused over and over.

I find that the main cause of ruined wellnuts is overtightening, I use my small torque wrench and always tighten to factory specs of 6-13 inch lbs. (They feel like they really should be tightened more, but I've never had a problem tightening to these specs.)

·
Registered
480 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts