Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of 6.5 speaker adapters from YAFFE (made by dragonfly). The adapters came with terrible instructions and the included pictures are too dark to see correctly. I also noticed that the directions seem to be for a batwing. Anyway.... I cant get these the adapters to fit! I played with them for over an hour flipping them every which way and i cant figure them out.

Anybody have any suggestions or pictures of installed adapters?

Could YAFFE have given me batwing adapters by mistake or are they all the same?

I know it should be simple but i feel like im trying to put a round peg in a square hole

Thanks!

·
Registered
324 Posts
The small side goes towards the factory grill but you will need to modify the factory grill mounting spots by making the area at the 3 mounting screws smaller then they will it properly. they are the same ones for the street glide and not made from dragon fly hope this helps

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Im still having some trouble understanding...:confused:

Do i reuse the entire factory "speaker pod" to include the mesh grill and the original plastic speaker mount or should i peel the mesh grill off and trash the factory plastic?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
277 Posts
You have to modify the adaptors to fit the grills. There are fins on the adaptors that need to be snipped off to make them fit. I used a dremel to grind down the fins.

Call Dragonfly and they will send you a copy of the instructions.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not impressed w/ Dragonfly stuff...

FYI...Dragonfly's adapters are $hitty. The Focal 6-1/2" speakers don't fit completely inside...hampering the speaker's ability to move correctly for best sound quality and performance. If I had it to do all over again, I would have gone with another set of adapters...and likely a completely different system altogether.

I'm underwhelmed to say the least....I got caught up in all the hype...my bad I guess. :eek:

·
Registered
324 Posts
The adapters I have had no issues installimg them they fit well, but I do add material to make the adapters resonate less so there are no frequences cancelled out and then grind a small amount of material from the adapters then, if I have cone clearence problems I modify the adapters so all is perfect.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree that these adapters are sh*t!! I finally got the adapters and the 6.5 rockfords installed but when I tried to put the outer fairing back on it was hitting the speaker magnets on both sides. I most likely could have tried repositioning the adapters but it would have been a huge pita. I pulled the whole setup and order some JM 7.25's. Thanks Yaffe! Terrible instructions and cheap plastic adapters that didnt work after I had to make them fit

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dragonfly adapters

The adapters I have had no issues installimg them they fit well, but I do add material to make the adapters resonate less so there are no frequences cancelled out and then grind a small amount of material from the adapters then, if I have cone clearence problems I modify the adapters so all is perfect.
Carisma, Wondering if you took a pic of the install. I also got sent the poor directions from yaffe. Having a problem on exactly how to mount/remove material if needed. BTW what material do you use for resonance and where does it get installed? Thanks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Should bolt up maybe clip a fin or two to help rotate. Here are the only pictures I had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
659 Posts
At three on the right and six on the left side (bike left and right not as facing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Nice Set up!! What is the name of your amp?

Here are the only pictures I had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
349 Posts
that video did nothing for me when i tried to put my adaptors on they didnt fit at all. and i had to cut way more then this video just said.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You're welcome none-the-less.
how rude of me! what i mean to say is i found this video a while before your post and it still did nothing for me if your gonna buy adaptors buy hawg wired ones! not arc audio or the ones yaffe sells cuz they suck1!!! just saying. i know from experience

·
Registered
349 Posts
HawgWired adapters mount up with zero effort at all. Highly recommend them.
question on this. if i ad a deck and two more speakers....do you think it is smart to change out my adaptors to the hawg wired one? is it more stable or reduce the gap so my speakers will sound better??

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
question on this. if i ad a deck and two more speakers....do you think it is smart to change out my adaptors to the hawg wired one? is it more stable or reduce the gap so my speakers will sound better??
Well, if you got everything mounted up solid, prob not worth messing with them. But if not tight and you aren't happy with that set up, then hell yeah replace em. Side comment, in that pic it seems the adapters are on wrong, relative to HW versions. HW on my ride are pointed with the offset mounted about 45 deg toward lower outside. HW speaker magnets just barely touch the outer fairing, keeps evrything nice and solid.

Regarding sound, overall sound from 6.5s is only going to sound so good, not to mention wind noise is always going to win at highway speeds. I am happy with my HawgWire setup regardless, but not willing to install more speakers and affect luggage space to improve sound.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts