Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have passed the 40 mile mark with my 2011 ultra. The stock speakers are wore out and it is becoming more noticeable all the time. The ultra is my daily driver so whatever I replace them with needs to be durable and sound good. Hopefully for another 40k. I am all stock so I am just looking to replace the speakers. Your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
516 Posts
In my opinion if you're going through all the trouble to replace the stock speakers, I'd spend the extra 30$ and buy speaker adapters and move up to 6.5" speakers... You can buy Infinity or Polk entry level speakers for around 50$...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I have passed the 40 mile mark with my 2011 ultra. The stock speakers are wore out and it is becoming more noticeable all the time. The ultra is my daily driver so whatever I replace them with needs to be durable and sound good. Hopefully for another 40k. I am all stock so I am just looking to replace the speakers. Your help is appreciated.

If you're keeping everything else stock, you may want to consider just upgrading to the "boom" audio speakers. May cost a bit more than "cheap", but you won't have to worry about ohms or fitment or adapters.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
209 Posts
Don't know what your definition of cheap is but.. keep in mind anything larger than 5.25" aftermarket speakers are going to require adapter rings.

You want to make sure if you're not adding an aftermarket amp also that you use 2 ohm speakers otherwise you'll lose about 1/4 or more of your output on that stock head unit using 4 ohm speakers. Most car audio speakers are 4 ohm.

Just some more info for you to think about.

·
Registered
177 Posts
In my opinion if you're going through all the trouble to replace the stock speakers, I'd spend the extra 30$ and buy speaker adapters and move up to 6.5" speakers... You can buy Infinity or Polk entry level speakers for around 50$...
+1 on the 6.5 upgrade. My bike came with an aftermarket amp and 5.25s. I only swapped the speakers to the same brand 6.5s and I still can't believe the increase in sound quality.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Upsizing speakers

Ok guys shoot me for hijacking if need b, I upgraded from stock by going with a clarion 300 watt amp n INFINITY 5 1/4's r u telling me by cracking open the fairing n using adapter rings n going with 6.5 that I am going to b just overwhelmed by the quality of the sound? Help me make the decision, but no BS .:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ok guys shoot me for hijacking if need b, I upgraded from stock by going with a clarion 300 watt amp n INFINITY 5 1/4's r u telling me by cracking open the fairing n using adapter rings n going with 6.5 that I am going to b just overwhelmed by the quality of the sound? Help me make the decision, but no BS .
I was. My RG had Hawgwired 5.25s and a Hawgwired amp. Upgraded to the same brand and style, just went up in size (and power handling) and it has made all the difference. I have a video of my speakers playing at half volume. Not sure where I can post it. It's on my phone, I could text it if you PM me your number or I can email it.

I'd say the power handling is the biggest key to the quality and clarity difference.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
the actual connectors for stock speakers are .250 and .183

while most aftermarket speaker connectors are .183 and .110

harman makes infinity, so the 5.25 would be the cheapest easiest fit

very possibly something low profile for the TP pods, or 5.25 ring spacers

when you under drive a speaker, it can cause pre-mature wear of the speaker

SPL rankings would be the to go to numbers irregardless, a speaker rated at 88db will produce much less sound than a speaker rated at 93.5db

those two numbers correspond to a rockford 6.5 coaxial and an Infinity 6.5 coaxial

6.5 adaptors can be a chore, and quickly become adding an amp, second and third set of speakers, replacing the head unit, $1500 later

but 6.5 is the standard, but still a small speaker, even amped, mostly high-mids, requires more than one set to get the desired effect, you want a peak power of 250w per speaker and 100w RMS, but that's amped with 80-100w RMS

think of it like this, even though the dealer shouldn't, they'll take your money and sell you a mess, JM, hawgwired, hogtunes all have kits, even rockford does now, and bazooka had one, the newer micro amps are better, class D, or G(BR)

if you have the money, hawg wired is the best place to look, to start, then if you spend the time you can break each piece down, to absolute performance v. dollars and cents

and hit the wall at best buy, to listen before you buy, some speakers are so brash and harsh, they'd cause hearing loss or headaches, brash, not loud

good luck

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I am now interested in 6.5s when I didn't even know it was an option. What is the best option cost/durability/ sound wise. I know how to hook up a stereo but all the tech talk has me nervous. I would like a system that includes the front and rear speakers for my rgu. I'm also interested in speakers for my stock lower fairing pockets since I hardly use those. I know it's not going to be cheap per se but I'm not looking to go nuts either. Durability is important since my bike is outside 12 hours a day in heat, cold, dust, ect. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What would be a good match to the j&m fronts for the rear speakers?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Sparkomatics, no I'm just playing. Idk anything about these stereos. Lol I started going cheap with the Booms at first, then somehow....????.....???? I ended up putting just about $4 g's in my system. And that's me doing ALL the work.

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts
Sparkomatics, no I'm just playing. Idk anything about these stereos. Lol I started going cheap with the Booms at first, then somehow....????.....???? I ended up putting just about $4 g's in my system. And that's me doing ALL the work.
Yeah, it usually goes that way. I have absolutely no idea how much I've spent, but I got rid of a lot of stuff, and probably still have enough to go on two bikes. I can think of ways to still improve my system, but I'm calling it quits for now, there's always going to be one better, and I like to ride more than sit in a lot with the loudest system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts