Road Glide banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over this last week there was an event in Erie called Roar on the Shore.

The big HD dealer there also does a bikefest at the same time only 10 mins away with tons of vendors, food, etc.

They had almost every 2015 HD there for demo rides. All you had to do was have a license, pants, boots, and wear a helmet (they had loaner helmets) and sign a waiver.

My wife and I rode the CVO RG and my buddy rode a Vrod.

My thoughts:

* Handling was GREAT! There were 3 road captains in the small group that were employees so we were able to just focus on the ride and not a route. They took us through a mix of city/highway riding for about 25 miles. For a big heavy bike it turned real nice.

* Brakes were the best I've ever felt.

* The stereo was TERRIBLE! I couldn't hear it over 40 mph. I adjusted the vents, still nothing. Would need a full re-do on that for me.

* Love the '14+ saddle bags.

* Hate the bars. Not just because they are way to low but the wrist angle was just painful. Felt like my left wrist was cranked to the left. It made my arm hurt clear to my elbow. I had to put the bike in neutral at stop lights.

* I did not like the rear floorboards. They come too far forward and make it difficult to back the beast up without my short legs hitting them too much.

* The horn is much louder than my 2010's.

* And for the 110" engine...... I gotta admit, I was let down. I expected to be pushed back into my seat. It has no more torque than my 96". It really was a let down. It also ran HOTTTTT. Felt like it was burning my leg! Granted it was 90 degrees and sunny outside so that didn't help. I suspect these 2 issues are related. I really think the Cat is holding back the 110" and running it hot. It felt like it had potential but the poor thing was all corked up. I bet an intake/exhaust/tune would really liven it up and cool it down.

Overall.... It is ok.

I guess it's the price. I expected a little more for $40k, but it'd be a great bike for $20k haha. I am not in the market. However, even if I could afford it I cannot personally justify $40k for it. I was hoping it was going to blow me away with passion and desire, but it was just "good" not mind blowing for me.

There's my thoughts on it. I'm very glad I was able to ride such a beautiful machine. It's nice to be able to just tinker around with it. I got 0 sales pressure so it really was just a demo ride. If I ever am looking at one of these I will refer back to this post for review.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I demo rode one at the local dealer here a month or so ago. I also was expecting more I guess too. The stereo was no better than my '10 with J&M setup... I also thought the same thing that the bike wasn't as powerful as I thought, and the bars are awful! Can't see spending 40k on that bike!

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I believe you could buy a regular ultra (lets hope one comes out for the '16 lineup), customize it exactly the way you want it, including engine mods, have a faster bike, and have money in your pocket compared to the price of a CVO.

A 103 with no more than 5 miles on it would net a nice sum. Not as much as the S&S 124 I'd put in it, but you could definitely do better cost wise than a CVO.

No insult to the CVO owners. :) <slinking....>

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you didn't tell us what was broken when you got off of it?

come on we know you had to have broken something!!!!!
All I know is that I'd hate to be the guy to buy it now! Haha. It'll leak 5 gallons on it's first ride! Poor thing only had 300 miles on it when I got to it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I was pretty much the same myself. Nice bike, but not nicer than what I currently ride. Just wasn't worth my bike and $25K for chrome and paint. Had no more power and wasn't more comfortable, mine is set up for me now and it just works.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
It is absolutely a shame to spend $40K for a bike that you cannot have delivered with the theme YOU want for grips, floorboards, pegs, etc. Not to mention that you have to spend another $3-4K to get it to rum right.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
'Rode my Bud's '15 CVORGU back in March, I was pretty impressed all around for a stock effort. A well sorted touring platform.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Thanks for the review Kyle. I spent more than a few extra bucks setting up my '13 RGC just the way I (and the Mrs) wanted it when I bought it. I love the the look of the burgandy/maroon '15 CVO and she keeps telling me to go for it. But as you stated I would be dumping another 3 - 4k into it to make it perfect for me. I just can't see spending that kind of money for something I can only ride 7 months out of the year. Like everyone else, I'm waiting to see if there's a RGU coming out in '16 that I'm sure will tease the H**L out of me.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
As many here know, we traded up to a 2015 CVO while attending SWV in Texas, bought a slightly used model with just 1080 miles on it, all stock with the exception of a set of Rinehart duals and the stage 1 download.
Our previous bike was an '11 RGU.

I'll throw in some comments..........

* Handling was GREAT! There were 3 road captains in the small group that were employees so we were able to just focus on the ride and not a route. They took us through a mix of city/highway riding for about 25 miles. For a big heavy bike it turned real nice.

Agreed, I'm not super thrilled with the suspension, seems soft in the front and typically crappy in the rear. This would be the same no matter what model Harley you bought.

* Brakes were the best I've ever felt.
Agreed, the linked brake system works and works well, I like it overall.
There's one small hiccup that takes some getting used to. If you're on the rear brake it also applies some front pressure. Because of this, when you grab the front brake there's already some pressure there, essentially the "slack" is already taken up so it's firmer and a bit touchier than we're used to. After a few stops you get over it.

* The stereo was TERRIBLE! I couldn't hear it over 40 mph. I adjusted the vents, still nothing. Would need a full re-do on that for me.
I don't understand this at all unless you had a helmet on that really blocks external noise. At only half volume the stereo on this bike is FAR easier to hear and much clearer at speed than our old one. The only complaint I have is the bass starts to turn the speaker cones into wet washrags a little earlier than it should, but hey, at least it's got bass which is more than we've had before.

* Love the '14+ saddle bags.
YES!! The old design was just a joke. Too bad they didn't fix the fastening system........

* Hate the bars. Not just because they are way to low but the wrist angle was just painful. Felt like my left wrist was cranked to the left. It made my arm hurt clear to my elbow. I had to put the bike in neutral at stop lights.

Bars are very personal. IMO, the bars are high enough, but feel narrow, probably because of the wrist angle. They're tolerable for me, but will be on my list of potential changes. Again, something that many people will change no matter which model they buy.

* I did not like the rear floorboards. They come too far forward and make it difficult to back the beast up without my short legs hitting them too much.
I noticed this the first time I got on the bike, and having short legs makes it worse. Problem is, they made a lame attempt at making the rear boards more height adjustable. However, the design also moves them 2-3" forward in the mid-height position, which is exactly where they didn't need to go.
Fortunately my wife hated them also
(boards far smaller than the old ones) and requested that we swap the stock floorboards and Kuryakyn adjustable pegs off our old bike which was easy enough to do so we did.

* The horn is much louder than my 2010's.
Horn?? Hmmm?? haven't even tried that yet, I tend to prefer hand signals I guess.......

* And for the 110" engine...... I gotta admit, I was let down. I expected to be pushed back into my seat. It has no more torque than my 96". It really was a let down. It also ran HOTTTTT. Felt like it was burning my leg! Granted it was 90 degrees and sunny outside so that didn't help. I suspect these 2 issues are related. I really think the Cat is holding back the 110" and running it hot. It felt like it had potential but the poor thing was all corked up. I bet an intake/exhaust/tune would really liven it up and cool it down.
(Again, my bike came to me with a full Rinehart system, dual head pipes with a small cross-over and 4" slip-ons as well as the stage 1 download. It has the stock air cleaner which is as open as most aftermarket intakes. The tune isn't spot-on, has some decel pop etc that I'll deal with with my Power Vision tuner form the old bike)
It's a personal preference and riding style thing. IMO the 110 is the touring engine I've always wanted. I always said, if I managed to trash a motor I'd build a max cubic inch combo that made all it's power between 2500 and 4500 rpm. The 110 is as close as I've been in a stock motor. I've poo-poo'd the 255 cams in the past as crap stock emissions cams, but In this combo they work well. I'm sure there's better though......:)
IMO, the Twin Cooled motor runs MUCH cooler than the 103 in our old bike. I know for a fact, based on readings from the Power Vision, that the head temps are consistently 50-60* cooler than they were on the air cooled motor. I used to see 260* degrees head temp at highway speeds in 80* ambient temps. I now see 200-210* in the some conditions. The heat on my legs and seat is much less than I felt before, and I feel NO heat from the radiators/fans in the lowers.

I LIKE the motor package.

Overall.... It is ok.
I guess it's the price. I expected a little more for $40k, but it'd be a great bike for $20k haha. I am not in the market. However, even if I could afford it I cannot personally justify $40k for it. I was hoping it was going to blow me away with passion and desire, but it was just "good" not mind blowing for me.

There's my thoughts on it. I'm very glad I was able to ride such a beautiful machine. It's nice to be able to just tinker around with it. I got 0 sales pressure so it really was just a demo ride. If I ever am looking at one of these I will refer back to this post for review.
Overall.... I like mine,

Can I justify a $40,000 motorcycle??
Sure can, just like the guy that has a $70,000 F150(yes, I've seen one), or a $70,000 Dodge Hellcat.

But you know what??
I don't HAVE to justify it to anyone but myself, deal with it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Great review! Good to hear from an owner.

The helmet they gave me was constricting, maybe that was the stereo issue or maybe I'm just used to aftermarket stereos, not sure.

As for horn, that was an accident, I missed the turn signal haha.

My wife actually told me she liked the rear pegs better we have on our custom. I was surprised. Said the heel on her boots aren't comfortable on the tiny boards.

I did also notice the front brakes being super touchy. I quickly adapted and actually like it a lot. Wish my '10's brakes were half as nice.

As for suspension, I actually didn't mind it. We're not real light either, but I thought it was better than expected anyway. Realize I only rode it for 25 miles haha.

I understand the justification thing. I would have an F-150 platinum edition if I could afford it and that truck pushes $70k haha.

Looks like overall we feel the same about most of the review. I gotta ask, if ya wanna share that is, how much did you get one with only 1000 miles for?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I gotta ask, if ya wanna share that is, how much did you get one with only 1000 miles for?
All things considered, I think I saved a couple thousand $$$ over riding the same bike out the door brand new.
The pipes alone installed at the dealer with download were likely over $1500. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but they are good quality pipes.
The dealer clowns sure made a big deal about the fact that I was getting the 1000mi service for FREE!!
Whooptie--shit, 6 quarts of crappy oil +filter, and they checked off the boxes on the sheet. Big deal.

Stereo note, after writing the previous reply I took the bike out for a short spin to try a new Power Vision map.
The volume display goes to 17 bars(I know, why not 15 or 20?? No idea??). Anyway, 8 bars is about the max I'd consider a "normal" listening level for any length of time, and even that might be a bit loud for some, but it's crystal clear. I did notice that I can hear the rear speakers much better on this bike than the old Ultra.

I love the fact that this bike is dead stable and buffet free at 90+ mph.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did forget to mention that the wind management was great! I rode a '15 fltrxs a couple months ago and it was terrible. Sheild was way to short I think. The cvo is good to go stock as far as wind management goes for me.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
My guess is some of your disappointment was due to the group follow leader type ride. I rode one of them last Sept at the York Open House and they let you go with no one and followed no one. I was quite impressed with the bike's power and handling and braking. Loved the vents, but agree the radio needed help for a $40K bike, it shouldn't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.