Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I met you cats with the Gray '16 RG that was slightly done up but had a ton I wanted to do to it - Then I found the '15 with everything done to it that I wanted - Then I got even OLDER and made the jump to the M8 (for reasons already stated) that was again, slightly done and I told myself I would not be an idiot and spend $$ where it was not needed........that lasted less than (1) month

So the bike came with Edge Cut Mirrors and Levers and I snagged the Edge Cut Shift Linkage Arm off the '15 before I traded her in - Well, it just bothered me that I only had "partial edge cut" components on my bike.....so I split the Edge Cut Gear Lever (I took toe, my neighbor took heel) and added the Edge Cut Shifter Peg too - Then I added the Edge Cut Boards and Brake Pedal......with the Brake Lever being the last piece - Now, I just could not bring myself to spend $172 on a Brake Lever when the Shift Lever came with (2) for about $40 less - I will admit, I kept the Part # for the Brake Lever on my phone and would check with the Parts Desk at every dealer we stopped at - So much that, just like you fucks.....my buddies made fun of me....and rightfully so - Fuck, I'll do it someday - For some unknown reason and a force that I cannot explain.....I grabbed the morning coffee, let the dog out and walked down to the office, logged on my Laptop, went to HDs site where the fucking lever was already in my "cart".........added a shirt and bought the fucking thing.

What is it about HD and their overpriced crap that compels me (us) to buy shit that I (we) do not even need? Our dishwasher is on its last leg, I think only 2 of the 4 burners on the stove still work, our Mattress is like a canyon......and my dumb ass buys stupid shit for a motorcycle - God Bless my OL for putting up with my fucked up reasoning and way of thinking and FU HD for making shit that I love.........Fucking Wisconsin!!!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
What is it about HD and their overpriced crap that compels me (us) to buy shit that I (we) do not even need?
I have no answer for you, only to say that you're not alone. I've owned Harleys for only three years and 1/3rd of my wardrobe is H-D T-shirts. As for the (now two plus the one I traded in last year) bikes, I can't tell you how much I've already spent on stuff for them and my wishlist is still a mile long!

I saw a meme on Facespace once that went something like, "Buy your son a motorcycle and he'll never have any money to buy drugs"

·
Registered
481 Posts
God Bless my OL for putting up with my fucked up reasoning and way of thinking and FU HD for making shit that I love.........Fucking Wisconsin!!!!!

Hey HEY HEY HEY HEEEYYYY. Don't be bad mouthing Wisconsin you FIB!! Hate the game, don't hate the player!!!

:kiss:

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey HEY HEY HEY HEEEYYYY. Don't be bad mouthing Wisconsin you FIB!! Hate the game, don't hate the player!!!
I tried to get "FIB" on my License Plates but the State said they were already taken

For those who don't know, that is what the residents of Illinois Largest State Park aka Wisconsin call folks from Illinois........Fucking Illinois Bastards aka FIBS

I do love that state though.......beautiful in so many parts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Understand you completely. Keep buying and changing stuff on the bike until a new bike is bought. Been doing it forever and know I always will even if it makes no sense to everyone that doesn't own a Harley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I hear that.

House needs windows... trip to Sturgis needs to be saved for... yet I keep buy parts, driving the my Girl nuts looking at parts, weather HD or aftermarket.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I, on the other hand, have a hard time replacing perfectly good parts that provide the function I need. The only changes I have made to the RGU have been functional.

- Quick release kit for tour pack
- long floorboards
- remove heel shifter
- highway boards
- LED running lights in the front turn signals
- LRS thresher
- Heated Grips
- Heated Seat
- Solo touring seat

The shiny bits are nice, but I just don't typically keep a bike long enough to spend the money on shiny bits.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
What is it about HD and their overpriced crap that compels me (us) to buy shit that I (we) do not even need? Our dishwasher is on its last leg, I think only 2 of the 4 burners on the stove still work, our Mattress is like a canyon......and my dumb ass buys stupid shit for a motorcycle - God Bless my OL for putting up with my fucked up reasoning and way of thinking and FU HD for making shit that I love.........Fucking Wisconsin!!!!!
Don't need? of course you need it. Get your priorities straight, you can always get a used dishwasher & stove on craigslist. :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
I too have that bug, but i pride myself on strategically finding what i want without paying full price. Here's just an example of my latest purchases. I've been wanting new shocks for my 15RGS. So i troll ebay and craigslist and my local dealers for months hoping to find a bargain. A month ago on my local craigslist i find a set of Progressive 944s brand new for $375. New in the box, the guy sold the bike before he put them on.
Now i need front monotubes. I find a set of the Progressive Monotubes 31-400 on ebay. It was incomplete, missing the install tools and metal disk. I called Progressive to see if i could purchase the parts seperately. $45 for the parts thru progressive and $99 for the monotubes on ebay. Whole new suspension cost me $520 front and rear. My local dealer had these Custom RT levers that a customer bought for a 17RG not knowing they were for a 15 and 16 only RG. They wanted $129 for them. I offered them $50 because they were on their take off parts bin. The wife would kill me if i paid full price for stuff for my bike. The house needs a new AC unit eventually and a new roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I, on the other hand, have a hard time replacing perfectly good parts that provide the function I need. The only changes I have made to the RGU have been functional.

+1; except for maybe the FL XiED 10 fuel management contraption I installed today, but I'm hoping that turns into a "functional" item as I cannot afford to do a stage 1 but I "need" this thing to run better, & cooler which is what I have been told this thing will accomplish;(justified?) ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
So I met you cats with the Gray '16 RG that was slightly done up but had a ton I wanted to do to it - Then I found the '15 with everything done to it that I wanted - Then I got even OLDER and made the jump to the M8 (for reasons already stated) that was again, slightly done and I told myself I would not be an idiot and spend $$ where it was not needed........that lasted less than (1) month

So the bike came with Edge Cut Mirrors and Levers and I snagged the Edge Cut Shift Linkage Arm off the '15 before I traded her in - Well, it just bothered me that I only had "partial edge cut" components on my bike.....so I split the Edge Cut Gear Lever (I took toe, my neighbor took heel) and added the Edge Cut Shifter Peg too - Then I added the Edge Cut Boards and Brake Pedal......with the Brake Lever being the last piece - Now, I just could not bring myself to spend $172 on a Brake Lever when the Shift Lever came with (2) for about $40 less - I will admit, I kept the Part # for the Brake Lever on my phone and would check with the Parts Desk at every dealer we stopped at - So much that, just like you fucks.....my buddies made fun of me....and rightfully so - Fuck, I'll do it someday - For some unknown reason and a force that I cannot explain.....I grabbed the morning coffee, let the dog out and walked down to the office, logged on my Laptop, went to HDs site where the fucking lever was already in my "cart".........added a shirt and bought the fucking thing.

Funny s**t Eddie ... couldn't be summed up any better!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Guilty on all the above.

My wife just told me the price for getting the new M8 will be a new bathroom for her(us), sounds like a fair deal. She followed up by telling me "with all new fixtures". When the contracter was over she asked about a second light over the vanity, when I questioned she just said a new $25k motorcycle in the garage=a second light fixture in new bathroom. I got the last word in, I said "yes dear".

·
Registered
188 Posts
Eddie,
We all have the same affliction when it comes to personalizing our Harleys, but you have it severely. I mostly tempered down my cravings for Chrome goodies and stage 1 upgrades with my 03 RKC. I think I bought every chrome add on that Harley had for that bike. Twelve years of cleaning all that cured me. I swore I would only buy performance, safety and convenience add ons for my 15 RGS. I almost kept that promise by only doing stage 1 upgrades, detachable accessories, windshield and speaker upgrades except for the Harley Chrome additional rear run-stop-brake light that sits above the stock bullet lights, this I considered a safety item, and I discovered it didn't fit well with the stock "ugly" plastic licence plate bracket due to how thick it was, so I had to get the Curved Licence plate bracket. Sadly, the 15 RGS sits in a junk yard totalled by an careless cager. Fortunately, I survived the crash and as I heal up I am looking forward to a new M8 when the insurance company settles. Harley has temporarily solved the problem of what to add to the new M8 since I will keep it Stock until the warranty expires, with the exception of the accessories I was able to take off the 15 RGS.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts