Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I call my buddy up last night and ask him to take a ride to the Dragon's Tail this weekend. Its about a 460 mile one way trip, so it is a good full 3 day ride. Great time, I have done it twice now. He hasn't been to the Dragon yet and talks about going all the time. Well me and this buddy have talked about doing the ride for awhile now and this weekend I thought was the perfect opportunity, weather is great, nothing really going on.
This guy gave me every excuse in the world why he couldn't make it this weekend. His main reasoning was that I didn't give him enough notice.
What the hell? What ever happened to just getting on the bike and just going for the sake of just going?
I think I need a new riding buddy...

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
That sucks... I don't mind riding by myself, but it is nice to go on an adventure with the fellas now and again. Sorry your buddy isn't onboard with what sounds like a great time.
I had never heard of the Dragon until I joined this forum, now I would jump at the chance to ride it. I'd hook up with ya for a ride, but I am on the wrong coast. :D

Rowdy

·
Registered
401 Posts
I am in the same boat is your buddy. Wifey lets me get my riding in but normally is planned in advance. Day rides are not a problem. I will b at the dragon's tail in 2 weeks.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DannyBoy,
Might see you there, it might be another week or two before I get there.

I would ride this myself, but the wife doesn't like me to take long trips by myself on the bike. The whole safety in numbers thing, I can understand her concerns and the smarter part of my brain agrees, but it still sucks that I am stuck if no one else wants to go.

This is going to be a long frustrating weekend. Hope everyone else out there has a great one.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You can always take the wife with you and do it with her?? My wife would love that as long as she can stretch her legs every 125-150 miles.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Patience grasshopper - you don't know what his real issue is. The question to ask yourself is "Do I have so many friends that I can start discarding some of them?" Just saying...:)

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can always take the wife with you and do it with her?? My wife would love that as long as she can stretch her legs every 125-150 miles.
The wife likes her 30 to 45 minute rides on Wednesday afternoon, but that is about it. Anything more and she is ready to jump off from boredom. I am glad to get her on at all though. Thanks for trying to help, I already tried it though and got the "are you stupid" look.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Patience grasshopper - you don't know what his real issue is. The question to ask yourself is "Do I have so many friends that I can start discarding some of them?" Just saying...:)
Joke, I wouldn't discard him as a friend or a riding buddy, its just frustrating at times dealing with this certain person and his excuses.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I can't do any last minute rides either because of family things going on. I normally have to plan an event like that. Our kids always have something going on.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I can't do any last minute rides either because of family things going on. I normally have to plan an event like that. Our kids always have something going on.
Same here. I am on the tail end of my child rearing days, so I am trying to spend quality time with them before they are both grown and gone. My oldest leaves for Europe for two months next Friday and my "baby" turns 20 this month. I'll have time to ride at my leisure soon enough. But a weekend long trip does usually require some advance planning for us old, married with children type guys.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You could always borrow my wife for the trip. He he

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Leave wife at home, leave buddy at home
pickup girl along route looking for some adventure
get out on the highway,
whatever comes your way.

born to be mild! LOL

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I once had buddies that would talk you out of riding more so than actually riding. I dont hang around them anymore. Actually I dont ride with anyone other than my wife too much. Normally my cross-country trips are two-up on the glide, just puttin down miles. Life is to short to wait out commitments from friends. Most people are more in love with the idea of the freedom and experience of riding two wheels, more so than actually doing it. If you want to go, then go.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I once had buddies that would talk you out of riding more so than actually riding. I dont hang around them anymore. Actually I dont ride with anyone other than my wife too much. Normally my cross-country trips are two-up on the glide, just puttin down miles. Life is to short to wait out commitments from friends. Most people are more in love with the idea of the freedom and experience of riding two wheels, more so than actually doing it. If you want to go, then go.
SinceCrazy, that thought is what inspired me to put down almost 3k miles 2 years ago by myself. The gal I was dating at the time could never seem to get the time off, and my riding buddy's had family vacations to contend with. So, I pointed the bike south (that year), and headed out on an adventure. It was a freakin blast. I had a great time. :D

Rowdy

W

·
0 Posts
YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT EXCUSES and some are BIGGER THAN OTHERS. Lol

That's what's nice about finally being fully retired, not owing people money, the kids are long gone and the wife said this is your year to just ride. Got all kinds of kitchen patches for all the remodel work I got done this winter, including building her a new big quilting room.

I have some retired friends but they don't ride much and they have their share of excuses. My wife ride every once in awhile with me but can't do the long rides any more. I don't mind a 600 miler by myself now and again.

I JUST WANT TO RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hang in there!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts