Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Administrator
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, you could always wait 10 years, than look back and say “I wish I had retired 10 years ago”. 😇
Thats what I don't want to do , " wait and wish I had " , I have to do sumpthin' and actually don't mind working , I have a setup where as long as I come in when I'm sposed to and do what they ask , they leave me alone .. But getting kinda tired of it also ..

JtB

·
Registered
2012 big blue pearl r.g. custom,chris rivas 574 cams. Rinehart extreme 4" RSD air cleaner barrnett c
258 Posts
Congrats Mr. Bagger! I was kind of forced into retirement my Dr. would not sign my medical card for my C.D.L
I was 58 not looking to retire so early but shit happens So i took the easy way out. Never looked back i'm so glad I made the choice to get out.My wife works for insurance. We bought a new house that my S.S. pays for in arizona
and can't wait to bail out of cali. Two more years !! Hoping you enjoy your retirement like i have mine I want to make sure S.S.is still around

Glenn

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
That is the balance, isn't it. I have met elderly people working in Dollar General, and Walmart that wished they had kept working in their careers a little longer. Especially when their retirement income was determined by both them and their spouse not dying.
Survivor benefits are a big deal and lot of though plays into it. In our case. Wife gets 80% of what I bring in if I die first (Non SS stuff). Plus all assets. However it was wise for me to wave those same benefits against what she brings in. The amounts she would have had to give up to leave me even at 50% were not worth it. If she dies first what I am left with is plenty and of course all assets.
It requires some serious discussion and research between a couple.

·
Administrator
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Congrats Mr. Bagger! I was kind of forced into retirement my Dr. would not sign my medical card for my C.D.L
I was 58 not looking to retire so early but shit happens So i took the easy way out. Never looked back i'm so glad I made the choice to get out.My wife works for insurance. We bought a new house that my S.S. pays for in arizona
and can't wait to bail out of cali. Two more years !! Hoping you enjoy your retirement like i have mine I want to make sure S.S.is still around

Glenn
My CDL medical card expires March 20, so one more physical , guy who does ours is a piece of cake , last physical we talked Navy for forty five minutes and then he signed me off and said I was fine ..

JtB

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Dive right on in JTB the waters fine!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Good luck - I predict you'll enjoy! I always say just do the math, and it sounds like you have. When I retired I was surprised that most of my planned expenses turned out to be lower than what I planned. Takes some adjusting to not having a schedule, but retirement is great having the freedom to do what you want when you want. You'll be glad you did!

Reactions: Roadglide glenn

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
i don't think that's correct smitty. retired military still has to sign up for medicare. you're signed up for tricare for life automatically at 65 though.

View attachment 435513
Of course you have to have part B. The point is that They sign you up for medicare automatically when you hit 65. The card shows up in the mail a bit before your birthday.
It becomes an issue when someone signs up on their own a little early then . Gets signed up automatically and get double billed. Then it is a pain to fix it..

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Sounds like you got it figured out. It's time now to relax a d enjoy the rest of your life peacefully. Congratulations and good luck

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
1,070 Posts
I been threatnin' to retire for a couple years now and after running the numbers Friday night and last night , I found that actually I will make a little more than I do working , on paper anyways ..

So the BIG PLAN is to start my SS in September and use the money to clean up a few small bills , and bank the rest .. Quit/Retire on December 30th , start drawing company pension January 1st ..

Use the VA for healthcare for a spell to see how the money plays out before maybe starting medicare or some other scam ..

We will see ..

JtB
First, Congratulations I was sent home March of 2020 due to the virus. Was told we would return in June did not pass the smell test as a union worker of 44 years All my alarms were going off called for my papers filled them out and waited I was just 63.When they pushed back the return date I mailed my papers and never looked back.Pulled my SS as well.take a close look at Medicare there are some real benefits that are glaring you’ll be glad you did.There is nothing better than being “ Off Duty.”

·
Registered
458 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm in the process now. Retiring March 2nd. Started collecting SS in July, 21 at my 66 & 2 months. That and my pension will get me by without having to take anything from my 401K rollover. I will be looking into the healthcare part starting this week. I signed up with AARP so I have their United Healthcare option too.
I will miss the security of a weekly paycheck, but I'm looking forward to working on my own shit.
...and I've got to say it, "What a great, helpful, supportive bunch of guys here" [I see you blushing]
Bob

·
Registered
2020 FLTRXS Scorched Orange/Silver Flux
146 Posts
Go for it! I did it 4 years ago at 55 years old when the Post Office offered up an "early out". I'm single so the numbers were easier to pin down. My healthcare is with the Chickasaw Tribe so I have no insurance. They will force me sign up for Medicare when I hit 65. I NEVER liked working for a living so simply NOT having to be somewhere on someone else's schedule is great. Other than a few unwanted pounds I have gained there are no drawbacks.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts