Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm riding a 2012 FLTRU and am looking at replacing the stock speakers with the J&M performance series audio kit with 6 speakers and amp
SKU: JHAK-HRU11-3606SP , I am looking to replace the head unit as well but would like to keep the handlebar control functions. What radio would sound best with this setup based on your experiences?
Thanks for chiming in

·
Registered
376 Posts
I ended up going with an Alpine CDE-164BT with a Biketronics Retro Radio kit to keep the stock functions of the handle bar controls. Alpine makes great head units in my opinion and this one in particular you can change all the display colors to match anything, plus it's really tune-able with Bluetooth.

·
Registered
758 Posts
As always, "best" is a relative term. You can't go wrong with an upper end Kenwood or Sony and they offer plenty of adjustability. I'm not a JM fan and think the sound is way too tinny at higher volumes, but that's just my opinion. If you did a blind test of your amp/speakers with multiple different upper end HUs I'm willing to bet most people couldn't tell the difference one from the other. Maybe one sounds a little better with one source than the other and maybe one has an extra feature or 2, but you can't really go wrong.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Hi
I'm riding a 2012 FLTRU and am looking at replacing the stock speakers with the J&M performance series audio kit with 6 speakers and amp
SKU: JHAK-HRU11-3606SP , I am looking to replace the head unit as well but would like to keep the handlebar control functions. What radio would sound best with this setup based on your experiences?
Thanks for chiming in

I have that setup, except just 4 speakers. I went with the Jensen HD1BT. That combination is seriously loud and clean.... and all of the hand controls work. It's plug and play. There are other options out there. But for me WATERPROOF is a must. A lot of aftermarket head units are not even close. Aquatic also makes a nice waterproof radio.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this something I could do myself? I'm Good with straight forward instructions but drilling and cutting and splicing is beyond my current skill set, so the simpler the better

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Is this something I could do myself? I'm Good with straight forward instructions but drilling and cutting and splicing is beyond my current skill set, so the simpler the better

My setup was pretty much plug and play. The instructions were very good. But when things are either color coded, or keyed to different size plugs, even a caveman could do it. The radio was 4 bolts, and plug it in. Doesn't get any easier than that. The speaker blade connectors are different sizes, so you can't plug them in wrong, unless you really try :surprise:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just picked up a head unit (Kenwood) from Crutchfield. They gave a huge discount on the additional mounting things I needed. I only had to hookup 3 wires.. However I'm using an AMP with RCA connections.

Took five minutes, and had the handlebar controls working as well! Nice package, and to my door in 3 business days.

-G

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I went with the Alpine 149BT and Hawg Wired control kit and V-Twin Audio mount kit. Very happy and YES you can do the install yourself. Very easy and both Hawg Wired, Alpine and V-Twin Tech support are very helpful

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am running the Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5UBT headunit. Direct plug and play no additional equipment. Retain handlebar controls. It's a GREAT unit.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Like already mentioned, the "best" is very subjective. For the most part, any radio will work. Find one with the options YOU like and require and go from there. Alpine and Sony are probably the most popular brands. I went with a Pioneer HU, vtwin audio install kit, pac controller with the scosche harness, a single 4 channel amp in the fairing, 6.5 polks in the fairing and 6x9 polks in the saddlebag lids. Are any of my choices "the best"? Absolutely not, but everything worked out great for me and my budget.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I have a 2012 RGU and went with the Alpine 149BT, Biketronics handlebar control kit and V-Twin Audio mount kit. I have the J&M Rokker XT speakers (4) and J&M 500W amp. I'm very happy with this setup and don't feel the need for 6 speakers. I've been running this setup for 2 years now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2012 RGU and went with the Alpine 149BT, Biketronics handlebar control kit and V-Twin Audio mount kit. I have the J&M Rokker XT speakers (4) and J&M 500W amp. I'm very happy with this setup and don't feel the need for 6 speakers. I've been running this setup for 2 years now.
Where are your speakers? Does this head unit require the biketronics handlebar kit or can you use the stock handlebar controls? Did you do the install yourself?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Where are your speakers? Does this head unit require the biketronics handlebar kit or can you use the stock handlebar controls? Did you do the install yourself?
My speakers are in the stock location for a RGU, Fairing and tourpak. I did use biketronics which allows you to use your stock handle bar controls. Any after market head unit will require biketronics or some other type kit to use your stock handle bar controls. I did the install myself. Both the biketronics and v-twin install kit have very good instructions and great customer service. With any mechanical ability it's not difficult to do yourself. You will need both items or another brand of your choosing. Below are links for the stuff I chose to use. Many others on the forum use the same stuff with no complaints.

V-Twin install kit: Motorcycle Audio Accessories | V-Twin Audio & More » VTURCR, Combo! VTURA dash adapter, VTWCR water cover splash guard for 1998 to 2013 Harley FLTR Models

Biketronics Radio Control Module: BT1005X 1998-2013 Multi-Brand Radio Control Module Only - Biketronics Inc

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H is what I am running which is the less expensive unit I got mine for $199 the 5UBT is in the $300 range and it has a few more features.
I only have front upper and lower fairing speakers but the Aquatic unit puts out 288 watt or 72 watts a channel so it sounds great without a amp. I did put in the J&M 500 watt amp and there really wasn't much difference without the amp and with the amp IMO.
Plug and play and totally waterproof and there is no need to buy any kits for mounting or wiring and you don't need a splash guard either.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H is what I am running which is the less expensive unit I got mine for $199 the 5UBT is in the $300 range and it has a few more features.
I only have front upper and lower fairing speakers but the Aquatic unit puts out 288 watt or 72 watts a channel so it sounds great without a amp. I did put in the J&M 500 watt amp and there really wasn't much difference without the amp and with the amp IMO.
Plug and play and totally waterproof and there is no need to buy any kits for mounting or wiring and you don't need a splash guard either.

Can you hook up more than one amp to the HU?

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Can you hook up more than one amp to the HU?
I imagine that you could, using the RCA outputs you could install a amp on each output if you wanted too. It would seem that too many amps would be hard on the bikes charging system.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am running Polk DB651.
I will prob change them this year or next.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts