Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering getting into the motor finally after owning my 2011 RGU since it was new in July 2011 when I bought it. I ride pretty mild most of the time as its my daily driver but i notice the power loss when my wife rides with me. We probably have 550 between us rider and passenger. Im also considering towing a trailer with the bike for longer excursions. I like to shift it around 3200 rpm. 4000 on occasion when im riding with the fellas but day in and out Im taking it easy. So id like a cam that produces a lot of torque in the low range. The stock 5000 rpm redline is fine with me. Im not looking to blow it apart. Thanks. NORM

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think I would look at all the manufactures offering and see what they have to offer.
There are some great cams out there and we all have our favorites.
I would also consider new lifters and push rods as well.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
I've got SE 255's in mine. I ride some what like you do and they suit me fine. As far as H_D the se 254e is another good cam.:D
Check with Jon @ horny toad H_D he gave me a good deal on my cams, lifters, bearings ans push rods.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The 255 se cams run hotter but do produce nice torque.I had them in my old bike but switched to the tman 555 torquer cams.the tman pull just as well and run cooler. better on hot starting too.the differences are in the valve overlap.good luck.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Im considering getting into the motor finally after owning my 2011 RGU since it was new in July 2011 when I bought it. I ride pretty mild most of the time as its my daily driver but i notice the power loss when my wife rides with me. We probably have 550 between us rider and passenger. Im also considering towing a trailer with the bike for longer excursions. I like to shift it around 3200 rpm. 4000 on occasion when im riding with the fellas but day in and out Im taking it easy. So id like a cam that produces a lot of torque in the low range. The stock 5000 rpm redline is fine with me. Im not looking to blow it apart. Thanks. NORM

Andrews 48 or a Wood 222.
Scott

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Im running a feuling 525 reaper cams pulls hard on the low end love em, I never shift higher than 5k ,noticeable low end pull especially when riding two up with my tour bag, good luck.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
The Woods TW 222 is a real stump puller, it has great torque from 2000 to 5000 rpm. I run the SE 255 before and the TW 222 beats the SE 255 cam hands down. JMO

·
Registered
454 Posts
What's your current exhaust setup? The cams should match it. Otherwise you could pick the wrong cams and not get the increase your looking for. Best thing is to find someone your comfortable with and trust. Once you start with cams don't forget the other essentials like pushrods, gaskets, oil pump,etc.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Derrick at Star Racing is testing that cam with our new 2:1 exhaust on stock 103.
He is saying it's the best pipe cam combo he has seen so far and they will share Dyno sheet with me next week.
Thanks
FD

On a brighter note, Scott have you installed any of the S&S MR103 cams yet. Curious to see how well this cam performs.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Cam Advice - stick with 255s = better motor reliability - JMO

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow. I didnt see a shit flinging contest coming when I posted this. So far I see the TW222, SE 255, or S&S 103. Was it the TW222 cam the one that got things spinning here? Which should i go with. The factory grins seems the safe bet but I'd like to go with what works best. Thanks. NORM

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm running TMan Performance 555 TQ cams from Drago's. They pull like a train from 2400 up. Great for riding around and getting 40+ MPG at 80 MPH. Even better two up. Plenty of power in all bands. No downshifting to pass. I'm running Dragula 2:1 exhaust, Zippers max flow breather and Thunder Max tuner. It's a great combination.

I'd also look at the S&S MR103 if Frank likes them. Give Frank a call. You won't be disappointed. www.dragosbikeworks.com. Good luck.

·
Registered
572 Posts
255 run too hot and have no overlap..poor hot start!.get the Tman 555 torquer cams.learn from more than one of us that tried the 255 and took them out!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will the tman 555 work well by itself or is other work required? Im imagining cam shafts, push rods, and a tune. I have been researching tuners as well. I currently have a rhinehart 2 into one and an intake (i forget which one). I used the street tuner and have not been impressed with all the pinging on hot days or under load on an incline.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts