Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1 car garage that belongs to the Road Glide and my automotive tools and accessories. Its a lot to fit in 1 bay. I already have a Craftsman work table with matching tool chest underneath, storage closet, shelf, and overhead cabinets. Then another 25 year old tool chest. The shelves are full of cleaning products, and maintenance stuff like oil/lubricant bottles, oil filters, air filters, plugs, hand cleaner, etc.

Then other automotive stuff like air compressor, oil drainage pans/funnels/siphons, motorcycle jacks, automotive hydraulic jacks, jack-stands, and a gas generator in there.

Then for motorcycle accessories I've got I've got 3 different seats, 2 different size sissy bars, a spare set of tires mounted on spare wheels, a spare 8" windshield, etc. Then I've got a bunch of take-off parts, such as mirrors, hand levers, handlebars, mufflers, footpegs, shocks, etc.

I need some ideas on good storage solutions, especially for the seats, sissy bars and tires/wheels. What do you guys do to store your stuff efficiently in the garage. I always dreamed of having the nice tiles on the floor, and a few signs on the walls. My seats are hanging on hooks on the wall, but its not ideal.

Appreciate ideas and better yet, pics of your garage. Maybe I'll go out and photo mine after a little bit of cleanup. Someday I'll lay rubberized garage tiles on the floor, and a few Harley signs on the wall :) Thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Look into over head storage if you have at least an 8' ceiling

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Actually, I have a small opening about 30" square in the ceiling. I could put plywood floors down for some space, and hang a ladder on the wall. The take off parts should go up there. The tires on wheels might fit, I'm not sure. Not very convenient for quick access to seats and sissy bars which get changed out often.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I installed one of those drop down ladders flush with the ceiling. Store alot of things up overhead. I've got a 10/12 pitch roof so there is alot of head room. I now have everything in steel cabinets. It's nice to just close the doors and not see all the clutter.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've got two extra seats to store. I used to ha e them on top of a shelf but other stuff would get on top of them and they weren't easy access. I have cabinets and put hooks underneath. Good for seat and jackets and helmets ect.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,816 Posts
I probably shouldn't get involved in this thread.

Hope you got a good fence around the place because if a bull ever gets loose in there......

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've got two extra seats to store. I used to ha e them on top of a shelf but other stuff would get on top of them and they weren't easy access. I have cabinets and put hooks underneath. Good for seat and jackets and helmets ect.

That works pretty good. My cabinets are metal, and don't have much space because the work table is there.

Right now I've got an area of the wall with peg board. I have a few hooks in there that hold up the seats. I don't like it because the hooks come out when I take the seats off. A nice strong hook that is small enough to slip through the hole on the end of the seat, yet is mounted pretty deep in a stud in the wall is what I'm looking for.

I also have my touring bag that needs to be stored somewhere. Another candidate for above the ceiling, but would like to put it on a shelf or wall somewhere accessible.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Good luck, my garage is no example of how it should be. I'm sure some others will chime in here who have touched up theres.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good luck

I'll be watching for pics , I'm in the process of trying to figure out my garage, and organizing it.

Google garage pics and that will give you some ideas .. That is what I did for ideas

·
Registered
5,039 Posts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Just fabbed up this tour pak/backrest holder. Used steel from the shop. And a little wrinkle black. $6 invested.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just fabbed up this tour pak/backrest holder. Used steel from the shop. And a little wrinkle black. $6 invested.
That looks a lot like hells foundries. Wheelie was making those (but had some nice add ons, search detatchable tour pack racks) but no one knows where he is. At least I don,t. I am going thru this also, but I have a 4 car.

Toby

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Just some 3" flat stock and hardened rods that weren't being used. But the Hells foundry is where I got the idea.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just build a bigger garage:D. I had do that.

I'm going to get some quotes on this. My 220 panel is on the wall that would have to come down, so that will add to the cost. How would a contractor deal with the existing garage floor? Seems like it wouldn't be able to bond with the new slab.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
it's tough, I've maxxed out a 30x30 garage with 10ft ceilings, an adjoining engine room, and two outdoor sheds, at some point, you have to cut bait

and once again as usual, it's still never enough

home depot has some 3/4" 4x4 rubber mats for $25/ea down here, for under the work bench, I park my bike on wood so the tires don't get lop sided over the winter, every bolt dipped in T9

I save all my boxes, especially harley boxes, which makes it worse, but better in the end

plywood and 2x4 rafter shelves might be good, for bigger long term items

or make a whole section of a wall a diy shelf

1 - 20 of 21 Posts