Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't care for the paint graphics on my 06....to me....it appears dated and I'm thinking it's time for a change. I've been thinking about just respraying it all black.

Or, does anyone have any ideas of something I could do OVER the existing paint to make it less dated looking? The tank doesn't bother me....I just don't like the graphics on the fairing and bags.

I have a local auto body guy......who will respray all the painted parts solid black for about $800....it's either that or unless someone here has a better idea that costs less...

·
Registered
498 Posts
$800 is a really good price for the whole bike. But it looks like if you're staying with black then you only need to repaint the outer fairing, bag lowers, and the tank. Should be less than half of your original quote. You could have some pinstripes or graphics done with the rest of the money

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you want to keep the cost down you could just have the graphic on the fairing redone to something more modern that still matches the rest.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$800 would cover the rear tail, tank, side covers, fairing, front fender and bags. Same guy did my 03 Kawi ZRX front fender, tank, tail piece, 1/4 fairing and two side covers in black for $400. The RG is a bit more work.
I've been using him for about 15 years so maybe I get a extra good deal....

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Just an idea but what about that plasti-coat which is removable if you do not like the look. There has been a few guys on this forum who have used it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have the same year, same color as you. I also think the RG needs a new suite. I have to wait a couple years, but I am thinking a large flake metallic would look good. I kind of like the new gold/black metallic the MOCO has for 2016 is interesting. I think it might cost a little more than 800.00.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Lots of stock bikes with paint / graphics that become blah with each new release. New paint is like an addiction bug - once you start it is all over (paint, powder coat,....). My '08 had the swoosh graphics that had to go. The base paint was a good base to work from. Like others have mentioned - make it your own. A nice pearl black with pin stripes or air brush would look nice. Here is my '08 after a seasonal break from my mod addiction. If you care to see the transformation pics check my photo albums. Interestingly the new '16 have a paint scheme similar to your '06. Guess they ran out of original ideas, again.

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
When I repainted mine I opted to go with something other than a factory color. I didn't see much point in paying extra to make it look like it came off a showroom floor. If your guy will do the whole thing for that price then there's a ton of colors in the ppg book that he can mix up for the same money.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
All black is always in style.

800 is pretty much covering the paint materials and a couple lunches

The 06 was a goofy design and they made no attempt at all to line up the fairing and tank stripes.

A 2010 I did a couple years ago,

All black is also the fastest way to lose your bike in the crowd....

The paint job on that 2010 is SWEET Roadhawg! Tastefully done! I like that a lot!

I agree with the guys that say save up a little more and make it one off.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, imo, MOST attempts to "black out" a bike fall short. Only some stuff is blacked out...forks, cans and maybe some chrome....and that's fine...but when I see a properly, fully blacked out bike? Mmmmm, that's the one for me.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Lol. Yeah I wonder who that guy was that "stole" this look :D
Well we know for sure it was not the mother ship! All that creativity can only mean it happen after the check was signed and the bell was rung! When MOCO puts those out Pigs will fly, and those will be some expensive Pigs! Nice machine!

·
Registered
639 Posts
All black is always in style.

800 is pretty much covering the paint materials and a couple lunches

The 06 was a goofy design and they made no attempt at all to line up the fairing and tank stripes.

A 2010 I did a couple years ago,

Thought I was losing it for a minute. While I'm not a painter, I do work at a large body shop, and 800 is a freaking steal if it's someone that does good quality work. I would love to have a custom graphic job done on mine, but I can't yet part with that kind of money. LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts