Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard mixed things, If I lower the rear 2" do I need to lower the front at all? This is on a 2009 with 13" shocks. Also Im pullin off the forks for powdercoat and im wondering about these monotubes I hear so much about.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mono tunes are the single best ride improvement you can make. Do yourself a favor and change it all out while you have it all apart. You wont regret it. But to answer your question... lol. You don't have to lower the front, but it will ride a lot better if you do. I rode around for a year with my back lowered and my front stock. I caught a ton of wind noise from under the fairing and it made the front feel like it was dancing on the front wheel. It felt real light. What sucks about it all is a didn't realize it till I did put the Mono tubes in. now my bike feels like a sport bike. I can drive hard in and off. I love it.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Based on what I found while lowering my bike, I would say lower both ends the same amount, at the same time.

I lowered the front 1" right after I got it. I could barely get on my tip-toes with it stock. It rode ok, and my feet were flatter on the ground. After about a year, I swapped out the rear shocks for Progressive 940's. They also sit 1" lower. The ride difference was amazing. Not because of the shocks, but the geometry of the bike was back to "normal", just 1" lower. The relationship between the front and rear wheels was restored. I cannot explain it any other way, it just handled way better, and I noticed it right away. Took me a while to dial in the shocks, and that caused the ride to be a bit harsh, but the improvement in handling in the curves was awesome.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I did the same with my 09. Lowered 1" front and rear. I would think that if you left the front stock it should/would be no different than if you put a 21+" wheel on the front. The geometry changes but I didn't do well in Geometry so I don't know how the ride is affected. Some of you big wheel riders chime in here...

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
Lowering just the front or just the rear will affect your trail number. While is why some people says it feels off or different.......you can easily go 1" in either direction, but, the more you deviate the "worse" it gets....it's not bad, most can't feel it til it's corrected. ultimently you want to keep your lower frame rails parallel with the ground

If you have your front end apart already, lower it also :thumbup: even if your paying to have it done, there's not additional labor cost since your front end is already apart. If you choose not to lower the front, you will not die LOL so don't worry

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Lowering just the front or just the rear will affect your trail number. While is why some people says it feels off or different.......you can easily go 1" in either direction, but, the more you deviate the "worse" it gets....it's not bad, most can't feel it til it's corrected. ultimently you want to keep your lower frame rails parallel with the ground

If you have your front end apart already, lower it also :thumbup: even if your paying to have it done, there's not additional labor cost since your front end is already apart. If you choose not to lower the front, you will not die LOL so don't worry
This is correct my bike takes the monster truck approach.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So what is the progressive part number for the 1 to 2" drop kit? Cause I just ordered a 31-2501 kit, I think that is the correct one...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I definitely agree with the masses here, you do want to drop the front. With 1" difference it ain't too bad but 2" is a bit much. Plus your gas mileage will be better since you won't be going uphill all the time!:D

·
Registered
330 Posts
When the Road Glide Custom came out, it had 1" shorter shocks from the factory, and a different Road Glide fairing support to correct the fairing angle and headlight angle.
Compensate for that if you decide to lower only the rear.

·
Registered
528 Posts
According to Harley, don't lower your front end more than you lower your rear. Has to do with handling/liability according to my stealer.

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
You lost me at....according to Harley..... :confused:

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
The dealer where I bought the bike...Harley Dealer. They said the spiel about not lowering the front more than the rear per liability reasons per Harley what ever. I was going to go the full length of lowering ( I think it was 2 inches) on the front, but they would only go 1 inch. I have the Progressive Mono's up front and the 11.5 444's progressive on the rear. Personally I don't think the 0.5 inch would have mattered, but what do I know? I am 1 inch lower in the front and 1.5 inch lower in the rear. LOVE IT!!!! (maybe I should just lower the front tire air pressure to 5 psi like my quads to get the extra 0.5 inch lowering??? NOT!!! lol)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Talked to Progressive and the person I talked to said he liked the 944s and the monotube standard with the preloads left out. Lowers the bike half inch in front and keeps max travel. I think that is what I am going to do to my 07.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts