Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 Ultra Classic Electra Glide. Decided to change handle bars for a pair of 15's. Watched a few videos, only problem i had was taking the swicth out. Finally found that solution, pulled it, got everything changed out, used a flat head screw driver to unlock the forks, putting everything back together, switch seems to now have a mind of its own. It will turn in all positions, no power, nonstart. Finally got it to turn on, checked radio, lights, signals, all work, but wouldnt turn over. pulled switch back out, same results using a screw driver. finally found a point where power would come on, everything but start works, but couldnt turn it off with ignition or screw driver. Finally pulled main 40 amp fuse to kill the power.
suggestions?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Keep fucking with ignition switch till it's right. Harley has an alignment tool that you may be able to rent,borrow or ride to shop and have them align it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had my ignition pop out twice while attempting to unlock the forks. HD had no explanation, just lubed the switch and replaced it. Both times the forks were left locked and I had to pay HD to bring out a tool to unlock the forks. I said screw it and bought the Jim's alignment tool. I have changed bars twice since then and just to test it, intentionally pulled the ignition incorrectly and re-installed in the wrong position. all functions were jacked up. Used the jims tool and everything went back together perfectly. Some people make their own, but I paid for something I know would get me out of a bind. The tool is always on the bike.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
If you cannot get it realigned, pull the switch off and disassemble it to realign. Sometimes this is easier or at least it has been in my adventures. There is nothing difficult about it, if you can do bars you can reclock a switch. I do suggest to get or make a tool for this job and leave it in until the job is done that way it cuts down on the dicking around if the switch gets out of alignment. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the advice. Screwdriver option worked. That is one, seemingly EASY lock to pop off. Should I be concerned about theft issues? Seems like you could just pop one off and use a screw diver to start it.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
The lock should not just pop off easily. You need a barrel key with the same configuration as the lock in order to remove it from the switch. If yours is just coming off then I would recheck it as it's not in correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts