Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving for a cross-country ride in two weeks and then this.....

I have needed to push my bars forward since buying the bike. I knew it meant pulling the pin so I did what most everyone else here has done and took out the ignition switch. (I read after the fact that there is a way around it.) I had to adjust the bars several times to get them where I wanted, each time I re-assembled the whole process, including the ignition. After finally getting the bars right, somewhere around the third or fourth time of adjustment, I apparently didn't get the ignition seated all the way and got the tumblers out of line. When turning the ignition on, attempting to unlock the fork, I noticed the dash try to power up and then go off a couple of times, and the fork was still locked. That's when I realized the switch was not seated all of the way, but the switch would still rotate. I unhooked the battery, again, and took the switch out. I had watched a video about keeping it aligned and aligning it so I used a flat screwdriver to re-align the tumblers. After several attempts I finally got the ignition back in with everything working. After putting everything back together and re-attaching the battery, I started the bike.... all normal...the ignition switch rotates normal, the security works, and the fork locks and unlocks.

Except now my digital odometer is not working and the check lights are lit in my gauges. See Pic.

I can't find any wires pinched and I have checked all of the fuses, all good. I have checked the cluster connections, all good. The pic of the cluster is with the ignition on. It looks like this with the engine running too.

Question: Did I short out my gauges or did I mess up the ignition switch?? Or both??

Any ideas? This is frustrating!! Leaving in two weeks....

Thanks for any help!!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’m going to go back through the fuses again. Any idea which one controls the instrument cluster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Instrument Panel Fuse #13 (see attached diagram).
My fuse box doesn't look like the diagram. Mine looks like this... that's from the owner's manual.

I don't have a service manual for this bike but could there be another fuse box on the 2016 Road Glide Ultras? Besides the main fuse, this fuse box only has 5 fuses and 2 relays.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Go back and pull the cluster back out. Check for a pin in the plug that might have slipped back into the plug a little causing the no connection issue. Also look at the plug on the gauge cluster itself to make sure nothing there is out of whack.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
IF fuse, might be #2. Don't have the electrical service manual, but looking in the Service Manual diagrams, I think that might be the one?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I would think the lights would be off if it's a fuse. More likely the plug isn't seated. Unplug and replug it in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would think the lights would be off if it's a fuse. More likely the plug isn't seated. Unplug and replug it in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I'd say either the plug isn't completely connected or one of the pins is not making good connection.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
My fuse box doesn't look like the diagram. Mine looks like this... that's from the owner's manual.

I don't have a service manual for this bike but could there be another fuse box on the 2016 Road Glide Ultras? Besides the main fuse, this fuse box only has 5 fuses and 2 relays.
Sorry about that Peyton. I knew the diagram looked different than my 2015 or 2018, but mine are just RGS, not the Ultra. I thought that maybe with all the extra bells and whistles on the Ultra the fuse panel was more complicated.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
As a quick note, you dont have to remove the ignition switch to get the bars off...just take off the horseshoe, turn to full lock, and with a little jiggling you can get the speedo cluster off...hopefully the plugs arent seated..the tach side one is a little funny...oh and before you start, cover your infotainment screen with a rag or something, otherwise you may scratch it..ask me how I know..lolol

Reactions: wevsspot

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry about that Peyton. I knew the diagram looked different than my 2015 or 2018, but mine are just RGS, not the Ultra. I thought that maybe with all the extra bells and whistles on the Ultra the fuse panel was more complicated.

It really doesn’t make sense to me that the fuse boxes are so different. You would think the Ultra would have the same or larger box. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem solved. Out of frustration, I took off today and hauled my bike to the dealer. They found the problem very quickly and had a test cluster they plugged in to ensure everything worked.

There was a pin bent on the cluster that wasn’t making contact. It took a magnifying glass and a flashlight to really see it. Got it straightened out and everything works!!

Now to get ready for a trip.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Problem solved. Out of frustration, I took off today and hauled my bike to the dealer. They found the problem very quickly and had a test cluster they plugged in to ensure everything worked.

There was a pin bent on the cluster that wasn’t making contact. It took a magnifying glass and a flashlight to really see it. Got it straightened out and everything works!!

Now to get ready for a trip.

Thanks for all the help!

Glad you're all back together. Thought I read something about that in this thread already

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts