Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 RGS, I removed the switch and used a screwdriver to hold alignment, but, apparently the alignment shifted, I have the switch back in, but nothing works as it should, for awhile nothing would turn on, the as I was trying to remove it (which I am unable to do) all of a sudden the radio came on, then I wasn't able to turn it off, then with more fiddling the headlights came on and they wouldn't shut off. Right now the switch is in the bike and I unplugged the ignition. My problem is I can't get it to come back off, and then how do I align it correctly

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
You should be able to push up on that tab underneath and pull it out. You just need to align all the tumblers in the lock position to reinstall.

Check out some of the video's on utube .

·
Super Moderator
9,460 Posts
You will need to have the key in the ignition while holding the little button underneath the switch in the up position.
Then turn the key all the way to the left and the ignition should pop right up.
Best of luck.
Mike U.

·
Registered
787 Posts
This link is for an 09. I don't know much about the rushmore models, but it should be pretty close. I have a 13 and there are many threads about homemade tools. I used some flattened out copper tubing (flattens real easy with a hammer) and it will move the ignition to any position you want. If your tumblers aren't lined up like you described, it takes some patience but keep tweaking and you'll get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-QBH1SFyzo

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did the same thing and eventually got it sorted out. I was about to give up and go get some copper tubing and I got it all lined up. It was a real pita there for a bit. I'm not going to pull it back out of there without the tool... :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem right now is I can't get it to release the switch, I have done it with the key in, turn to fork lock, push button up and turn key to left, it just won't come off, the first time I took it off it came right off, but now it won't, I guess I'll just keep at it until it releases unless someone has a little trick

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Did you get it?

Were you pushing the little button in while pulling up?

·
Registered
120 Posts
the tubing don't do crap on the RGS 15's. The tubing will turn it and you will hear the clicks but it does not unlock. I had to take mine off and then remove the housing then reinstall the switch while I worked on installing my bars then vs. versa. the copper tubing doesn't work on the 15's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
the tubing don't do crap on the RGS 15's. The tubing will turn it and you will hear the clicks but it does not unlock. I had to take mine off and then remove the housing then reinstall the switch while I worked on installing my bars then vs. versa. the copper tubing doesn't work on the 15's.
I got it to work with copper tubing. The copper tubes come in 2' segments from lowes. I used 1/4" OD. The first one I made I hammered it completely flat and it was too wide. The second one I made was slightly oval, and it worked perfectly. Dropped it into the hole and with a few 1/4 turns, clicks, it went further down into the hole. it was all aligned in a matter of seconds, I was able to put my lock back in per directions and it worked no problem!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ignition/Fork lock alignment tool

This link is for an 09. I don't know much about the rushmore models, but it should be pretty close. I have a 13 and there are many threads about homemade tools. I used some flattened out copper tubing (flattens real easy with a hammer) and it will move the ignition to any position you want. If your tumblers aren't lined up like you described, it takes some patience but keep tweaking and you'll get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-QBH1SFyzo
While replacing my handlebars on my 15 RGS, I got the tumblers/barrel switch out of alignment. I was in the locked position and nothing would work (couldn't unlock the forks, no power to the ignition etc). I watched the video on this and had it all squared away in 20 minutes. This is a EXCELLENT technique with a piece of 1/4" OD copper tubing flattened out as the alignment tool. It was cheap, and saved me a tow and dealer bill.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts