Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I mentioned this in my other post about doing my bars and I've gone out and toyed with it and I can't get it to go away, so I'm reaching out to the brilliant minds on this forum.

I put the ignition switch back in and everything works, BUT when I turn it all the way counterclockwise, just before it gets to "Fork Lock" it makes a loud Ping sound. It still locks the forks, but that sound is irking me!

I've pulled it out and re inserted it a few times and it still does it.....any ideas??

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Go to a dealer and check a couple two three other bikes for the same noise. I think I know the noise you are hearing. Like a metallic ching/clunk noise? I'm pretty sure all of them do it, some just more pronounced. You can always pull the whole switch assembly out for a closer look. They are very easy to disassemble and reassemble if you are paying attention. Is there resistance when you turn it?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is just that, like a metallic ching. I noticed if I turned it really slow, sometimes it wouldn't make the noise at all.
Very strange. I'm just wondering if I'm damaging anything by doing it.

I'll try to get a video of it later tonight.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
You are only a blast down the highway from me. Let me know if you need a hand, an extra eye or even my scoot to compare it to. I had the noise I am describing on my 2012 and even on my '15. The '12 was quite a bit more pronounced.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Much appreciated BH. It never made the noise before so that's why it's such a thorn in my side, lol.

I haven't spent time on it as I was out working all night when those storms came through Tuesday night.

I've done everything but slide a screwdriver down there and turn it counterclockwise.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Almost sounds like the spring maybe catching. I have had mine out several times and I think If I remember correctly one end of the spring is flatter.. if that makes since? Maybe try flipping the spring over could be catching and twisting.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Almost sounds like the spring maybe catching. I have had mine out several times and I think If I remember correctly one end of the spring is flatter.. if that makes since? Maybe try flipping the spring over could be catching and twisting.
I will definitely look at that, easy enough to check. Thanks for the heads up, I didn't really scope out the spring edges.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts