Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I am in the process of installing new bars and when I went to put everything back on, the ignition switch seems to be misaligned or broken. I've done a search and found that it's easy to fix on the pre-Rushmore models, but mine is a 2016. Do I need to buy the expensive tool or can I still fiddle with it with a screw driver or copper pipe? It will turn and click like normal but nothing happens, but if I push it further down then everything works as it should, but it doesn't click and it's not easy to turn. Hopefully it's not stripped or something if that's possible.

Also, when I was reinstalling everything I noticed some brake fluid leaking from the reservoir by the lever, is this normal since it was hanging or do I need to replace all that stuff now too :(

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Hello, I am in the process of installing new bars and when I went to put everything back on, the ignition switch seems to be misaligned or broken. I've done a search and found that it's easy on the pre-Rushmore models, but mine is a 2016. Do I need to buy the expensive tool or can I still fiddle with it with a screw driver or copper pipe? It will turn and click like normal but nothing happens, but if I push it further down then everything works as it should, but it doesn't click and it's not easy to turn. Hopefully it's not stripped or something if that's possible.

Also, when I was reinstalling everything I noticed some brake fluid leaking from the reservoir by the lever, is this normal since it was hanging or do I need to replace all that stuff now too :(
It's just as easy to get it mis-aligned on a 2016 as it is on a 2010. There are YouTube videos on how to make a tool out if copper tubing or you can try the flat blade screwdriver.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just as easy to get it mis-aligned on a 2016 as it is on a 2010. There are YouTube videos on how to make a tool out if copper tubing or you can try the flat blade screwdriver.
Oops sorry I just meant it seemed easier to fix on the pre-Rushmore. I read somewhere that someone thought they changed it for the 2015+ models to where you couldn't use the screwdriver trick anymore. Hopefully that's fake news I really don't wanna spend near $100 on a tool lol

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
If it isn't working out to get it realigned, just remove the switch completely and disassemble it, align it and reassemble. I personally have found it easier to just do that than to fight with it on the bike. It's easier than you might think, just pay attention when you do it and all will be good and it will go back together without an issue.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I have also had success looking down through the switch with a flashlight and could tell where the gaps were on each section. Then look at the stem that is out and used a screwdriver to as closely as possible match each section to the stem. Then put the stem back in and Wala. That was on my 2012 so not sure if you can on a 2016. Don't really see why you can't because the stem goes in the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well no matter how I spun it with the screwdriver, it still will not work no matter what I do. I feel like something is broken. I guess i'm gonna have to get it towed to the dealership :|

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Well no matter how I spun it with the screwdriver, it still will not work no matter what I do. I feel like something is broken. I guess i'm gonna have to get it towed to the dealership :|
Or, just remove the switch, split it and realign it. If it helps you out you are not too far from Chicago. Take the switch out and send it to me. I'll get it realigned for you no problem. Happy to help if I can.

·
Registered
899 Posts
take it out and do it on the bench before the stealership has a crack at ya bro......

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or, just remove the switch, split it and realign it. If it helps you out you are not too far from Chicago. Take the switch out and send it to me. I'll get it realigned for you no problem. Happy to help if I can.
That's awesome thank you I appreciate it! Is that something that is hard to do? I ordered the stupid tool for the hell of it just to see if it makes a difference. I can't even get the switch to lock into place anymore though lol

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
That's awesome thank you I appreciate it! Is that something that is hard to do? I ordered the stupid tool for the hell of it just to see if it makes a difference. I can't even get the switch to lock into place anymore though lol
I cannot tell you for sure if the tool will help at this point. The tool is meant to keep it aligned, not too sure about realigning.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cannot tell you for sure if the tool will help at this point. The tool is meant to keep it aligned, not too sure about realigning.
Ahh gotcha yeah good point. How hard is it to realign it? I would love to learn how to do it

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Ahh gotcha yeah good point. How hard is it to realign it? I would love to learn how to do it

Since you already ordered the tool I would try that first just to save yourself the hassle. If it doesn't work out and you have a manual, start with removing the switch. Then let me know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since you already ordered the tool I would try that first just to save yourself the hassle. If it doesn't work out and you have a manual, start with removing the switch. Then let me know.
Okay, I just got an e-mail that it's backordered for a couple weeks anyways so I may try and see if I can realign it myself because even though it's Winter i'm impatient lol

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I hear ya man. You have a manual for the procedure on removing the switch from the bike? If not, I can make a copy and post it later on today.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hear ya man. You have a manual for the procedure on removing the switch from the bike? If not, I can make a copy and post it later on today.
I do not have the manual, I should probably invest in one. Unless it's in the Owners Manual which I doubt lol. That would be awesome if you could copy that part for me

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I do not have the manual, I should probably invest in one. Unless it's in the Owners Manual which I doubt lol. That would be awesome if you could copy that part for me
Here ya go, this is just to remove and install the ignition switch. Unfortunately there are no directions for disassembling and realigning the switch. If I can one day soon get out to the garage for some quality bike time I may pull my switch off to do a little tutorial if that is something people want to see. This is where trial and error comes into play if you decide to do it yourself but all in all it is not too complicated. Or you could take the switch to the dealer and see if they will realign it off the bike. If they say it can't be done then kick the person in the face and walk.

I take that back, don't kick anyone in the face, it'll only get you in trouble!

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here ya go, this is just to remove and install the ignition switch. Unfortunately there are no directions for disassembling and realigning the switch. If I can one day soon get out to the garage for some quality bike time I may pull my switch off to do a little tutorial if that is something people want to see. This is where trial and error comes into play if you decide to do it yourself but all in all it is not too complicated. Or you could take the switch to the dealer and see if they will realign it off the bike. If they say it can't be done then kick the person in the face and walk.

I take that back, don't kick anyone in the face, it'll only get you in trouble!
Thanks dude! Yeah if you get around to it let me know! I just tried to get the switch back in again for an hour and tried spinning the tumblers every which way with a screwdriver, still no luck. That video would be a hit because I can't seem to find a single one on re-aligning everything

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Make sure that the chrome horseshoe is fully seated, otherwise it can interfere with the ignition switch

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks dude! Yeah if you get around to it let me know! I just tried to get the switch back in again for an hour and tried spinning the tumblers every which way with a screwdriver, still no luck. That video would be a hit because I can't seem to find a single one on re-aligning everything
Did you find the (several) you tube videos on it? I got in a similar situation and was frustrated as crap, but made a tool out of copper pipe and finally got it aligned. It gets off several notches and plays havoc. I was able to figure mine out finally by figuring out which position locked the forks, switched the ignition on, etc. I know it’s frustrating but stick with it. Dealer probably have you taking out a loan??

·
Registered
494 Posts
I made a tool out of coat hanger, it's what I had, don't judge, and fiddled with it till it lined up. Worked way better than a screwdriver.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts