Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just double checking myself as I have not actually removed a switch yet and getting ready to install a new black switch. For those who have removed the ignition switch and installed the switch on the newer road glides. I have watched the YouTube videos on the newer street glides, I'm assuming the road glides are the same thing. Handlebars all the way to the left, ignition to the locked position and push the tab underneath move the Key slightly more counterclockwise and the switch kinds of pops up.

Ensure the key is in the new switch is fully to the counterclockwise position after the key is inserted and the tab pushed up. Insert switch, turn key slightly clockwise, a click is heard, turn the switch clockwise to off position. All should be good, have I missed anything, better ask than be sorry?

Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sounds right to me. I just did it when I put my new bars on and I've put it in and taken it out numerous times without issue.
I even messed up the tumblers but info from this forum got me straightened out.
Don't over think it. You got this.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok.. I did a shithead thing and went off the reservation. I took the switch out, easy, with instruction. from some f*cked up reason, I went to put it in... without instruction. Yes I have the manual... Always use them... f*ck.

So the knob is not coming off and the forks are locked. I have tinkered with it a few times.

Any suggestions. Insults, which would be justified are welcomed.

·
Registered
666 Posts
What isnt it doing if I may? Not go in or not unlocking or?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
The forks will not unlock. The switch will remain in the locked position unless i depress the release button. If I depress the release button, I can rotate the switch, turn the key past the locked position, while pressing down, take pressure off the forks and try to remove it, but no joy.

I found another thread related to this and read it all. The gent said he ended up prying it off and all was fine.

Everyone has gotten it off with persistence... Sooooo.. no beer till I'm done for the day. or close to being done.

I have worked the switch, rotation it, trying to get it off as well.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thanks for the explanation.

Sounds like the tumblers inside are out of wack to me and might need realigned. You can make a tool to do that. I used a big flat screwdriver. Next time I am making the tool.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yea... I saw that in the video.

If I can get the switch off before the warranty is over next year.... I"ll do the same.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Grab one of them ignition alignment tools after you get it out. I’ve got the H-D Kent-Moore one for 06-13 and JIM’s for 14 and up, handy to have on hand for when having to remove ignition.

·
Registered
666 Posts
^^^ also saw somewhere that a peice of 1/2" copper tubing beat flat is the perfect width as well.

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you don't have time to wait for the tool, This video gives a good way to take it apart and realign things.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Righton. Gents. I saw the Video where the guy made his own tool. I'll go one way or another. Currently as it goes, I am going on day 3 or no joy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The forks will not unlock. The switch will remain in the locked position unless i depress the release button. If I depress the release button, I can rotate the switch, turn the key past the locked position, while pressing down, take pressure off the forks and try to remove it, but no joy.

I found another thread related to this and read it all. The gent said he ended up prying it off and all was fine.

Everyone has gotten it off with persistence... Sooooo.. no beer till I'm done for the day. or close to being done.

I have worked the switch, rotation it, trying to get it off as well.
Just so you don't feel alone with this, I had the same problem a year or so back. Until I read this thread, I didn't know they made a special tool for this nor was I aware of so many posts about solving the problem.

As has been said, on mine the tumblers were not lined up correctly. I used a screw driver to get things correct. When it happened, I was realy concerned I was screwed. The dealer is an hour away and with the bars locked there was no way I'd ever get it onto the trailer.

Keep at it. Don't give up. You'll get it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Righton. I appreciate that... I am balancing out the time spent on it with other project. There are only so many combinations to yank that bad boy out, and after an hour I get .....

Thanks again.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Righton. Gents. I saw the Video where the guy made his own tool. I'll go one way or another. Currently as it goes, I am going on day 3 or no joy.
I watched the video while I was doing the disassembly. It took me about 30 minutes to get it off, disassemble the ignition and realign.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yea.... I’m getting that picture..

I popped it off with the manual in 5. Then for some reason took the mentality of my first wife. Now it’s back on and laughing at me.

Learning experience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts