Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2015 Road Glide special, first touring bike. Today I was doing a little cleaning after a nice ride and decided to roll the bars forward a bit. I removed the ignition switch with no issue per the videos on the net and adjusted the bars. I put everything back together without issue (so I thought). I must have misaligned some of the internal lock tumblers or put the switch down too far.
1. Ignition turned to lock and bars are not locking
2. pressing the detent on the bottom of the switch no longer allows it to slide out of the barrel.
3. Looking at a friends new glide I see that his switch assembly doesn't sit down as low as mine

If I have the switch in the lock position I have to push in the detent on the bottom to get the assembly to rotate to the other positions otherwise its like its locked.

How do I reverse my screw up without taking it to the dealer?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sounds like the tab on the bottom that is supposed to be in the fork lock notch is below it. The wedge that comes out for the detent is not in the right groove. Have to push the detent and rotate the switch until the ignition notch (upper tab) and the fork lock notch (lower tab) align again. Had the same issue last time I had the switch out of mine and took a little patience to get it back out and then back in right.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that was my thought as well. tried rotating it around and lifting it for a while last night with no luck. Had to walk away. I'll try again tonight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok looking at it now the detent is in the lock groove when ignition is turned to lock position but the whole knob is too low to let the detent slide around in the groove. Maybe tumblers are out of sync holding the assembly down too low????
Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Yea, just keep messing with it. You will get it. It always takes me a few times too. Its all about alignment.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yea, just keep messing with it. You will get it. It always takes me a few times too. Its all about alignment.
++ on the advice. You can't mess it up. I practiced with mine after watching the video and never had a problem. Then I took the ignition switch and upper retainer off when I did my suspension upgrade. Exact same issue you have. Try and walk away. Try inserting with knob in off position (not locked position) pushing tab up ( key in) but not turning key to full left until you have knob full left and depressed, then turn key full left. There are only a few options. It is not F'd up - just a sequence / initial insert issue. I'd try on mine again to confirm but I'd F it up!

·
Registered
532 Posts
What really sucks is when you get it right the first two times you tear it out thinking you are the Jedi Master better than everyone else and then the third time you jack it up ..... after a few beers still jacked up ..... 24 hours later get it right. It's like a right of passage, you WILL jack it up

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, tried it a few times before this with no issue. Even did it on a friends bike while mine was jacked up just to make sure I wasnt missing something. Totally frustrating but happy its fixed. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts