Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my ignition switch and gages off my 15 RGS to remove the handle bar pin. Got everything off and started putting back together but guess something got misaligned when I went to put the switch back in. Now it is stuck in and I can not get it out. All the switch does is spin. I got the key in and the detent is up so not sure what else I need to do to get it out. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I read on another forum that they needed to pry it out, I tried but damned if I can get it out. Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Good luck , had it happen to me when i first started tearing it down, i just keep making sure the release button was depressed and kept wiggling the key once i got it out i was forced to order the correct alignment tool cause i tear it apart alot

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks maddmoe. This thing is a real pain. I know what to do now once I get the switch back out, it is just a matter of getting the switch back out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It does take some fiddling while pressing the release button. I ran into that couple times on my first time working on it when I was doing handle bar swap. Just because when I forgot to chuck a piece of wood block between then forks and frame, the steering would lock to the left. So I had to get key back in to unlock it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got the switch out and the tumblers lined up. Everything back together and seemingly working fine. Thanks to all for the assistance.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
For future reference, you don’t have to pull the ignition on the newer bikes to get the gauge cluster off. Pop off the ignition cover and then just turn the cluster cover and off it comes

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Well i got it out. but I'll need to but a new chrome bezel for under the switch. I broke the little tab.
Yea mine broke off as well. I just ride without it. Some people use 2 sided tape to hold it in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts