Road Glide banner

I'm an idiot so learn from me !!!!

15K views 52 replies 36 participants last post by  macked 
#1 · (Edited)
yesterday morning I backed out of garage and started bike threw my foot up on floorboard and realized I needed to shut garage so as I reached up to hit garage door opener I accidentally slapped bike in gear without clutch engaged and you all know what happened then

, the bike jumped forward and died, in the middle of my small rant to myself I recycled the ignition just like I always do when bike happens to die on start up, I noticed that when I recycled this time the fuel pump did not come on like normal and I thought well that's strange and just like I figured the bike wouldn't start ( who woulda thunk no fuel no start hmmm ) so as I started to panic and thinking of what the hell just happened

I immediately thought fuel pump fuse has blown , so as I started taking bike apart to look at fuses I pulled fuel pump fuse and to my amazement it was good and I thought well hmmm again , I then pulled system relay fuse and thought maybe that was bad and once again it was fine so then I thought wow wtf is going on , I started turning ignition on and off seeing if the bike gods were gonna send me a miracle ( no such luck on that ) and the last time I turned it on

I started running threw odometer readings and noticed that my remaining fuel info wasn't coming up it just went from overall mileage to A then B and back to overall now by this time I'm frustrated and pissed , I then unhook TMAX and battery and start checking connections everywhere and after 30 minutes of freaking out and everything looking good I had checked I was so frustrated I just told myself I wasn't gonna trip anymore and I would get it to dealer so it could be there problem ,

After getting to dealer and talking with HMIC I picked up a RG ULTRA to ride while I was down ( my dealer offers a bike to you if you had purchased it there ) so I left and as I was riding I thought about fuses again and decided to take this ultra to the house and swap some more fuses out with the two bikes and see if I could dwindle it down more before the dealer came to trailer my bike to there shop ,

so another hour and half later checking several fuses and swapping out between the 2 bikes I had given up again and decide to walk away , so I jumped on the loaner ultra and needed to get wind in my face to calm me ( now I started all this at 730 am and it's now 3 PM ) so as I rode I went by a friends shop that he used to work at my dealer for 20 years and got fired for fighting with new owner and just now got his place up and running so I stopped by there and was telling him about my very strange weird stupid problem on the new bike and we were talking diagnostics amongst each other he said do you want me to come fix it for you and I said dude you know I'm good with my bikes and if I can't figure it out no sense in you jacking with it when it's under warranty and he said

well then they wouldn't have to trailer it and they wouldn't get paid for easy work they don't deserve ( now remember he is disgruntled ) so I said sure come on over , so once again I'm headed back to house with him in tow to try and figure this SOB out , now if your actually staying with this sorry ass stupid story I will tell you he was there for 5 minutes and the bike was running so before I divulge what the problem was

why don't you try and tell me what your diagnosis would or might be and now remember everything on bike was coming on and working ( lights radio starter etc etc except fuel pump and remaining miles on odometer of fuel ) so take a few guesses at it and if nobody gets it right I will tell you before day is out !!!! I will tell you this I sure felt stupid after all this

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

See less See more
#4 ·
you hit the stop button??

And Dood, Please!!! Paragraphs!!! I have a headache after reading that!! lol

#15 ·
Well looking back on the story, the remaining miles was not displayed. Would this happen because of no neutral? I'm leaning towards the kill switch for sure now. Only thing I just can't test that theory right now.

#17 ·
I'm going with not in neutral, I've spent about an hour in the parking lot testing, checking fuses, and replacing the battery in my key fob before I realized I was not in neutral.

Also, when I did the lights on my gauges, my remaining miles didn't show up either. It came back as soon as I went for a ride. It seems if power is lost to the speedo, it won't show remaining miles until it can calculate again, so that was because you pulled the fuses, and I don't think it had anything to do with your not starting.

#20 ·
my money is on kill switch, had a buddy dismantle most of his chopper he built himself because he couldnt figure it out it actually died going down the road. i walked up and flipped the switch it started right up, I still give him a hard time about it.

#28 ·
that was my other guess! I left mine on the table next to the bike the other day. Got to my destination and figured it out when I went to lock the bags! Thank goodness I had done this one other time and had read on THIS FORUM that there was an override.

#24 ·
Sorry fellas I just tried the "not in neutral and clutch not pulled in" theory and its debunked! My fuel pump cycled with bike in gear and clutch not pulled in.

Also tested the key FOB theory and also debunked. Key FOB was far away, fuel pump cycled but couldn't start bike. And damn Radio Shack alarm blew my ears out!!!

I still say NO FUEL! Or not enough to prime the pump. That's maybe why miles to zero not displaying. It can't tell!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.