Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure a touring tire will be harder. But if it works......................:grin:

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks to easy! I bust my ass on my rear 180 tire using a no-mar tire changer.
]
I agree, to easy.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

That's why I'm going to try it next time I need a tire........ Probably late fall. I just changed them just before Sturgis last year.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
When I watched this I first thought, that is easy! Then I thought, wait... you have to get the old tire off first in order to do this. I then watch the video following of the guy that uses this zip tie method to take the tire off the rim and it took a little while and effort on his sport bike tire.

I bet that if you were planning to do this and purchased your own tire and removed the wheel yourself, that you could just take it to a local Indy shop and have them change them out for around $25 and that's with balancing it. If you don't have a shop that can then this might be the option.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
When I watched this I first thought, that is easy! Then I thought, wait... you have to get the old tire off first in order to do this. I then watch the video following of the guy that uses this zip tie method to take the tire off the rim and it took a little while and effort on his sport bike tire.

I bet that if you were planning to do this and purchased your own tire and removed the wheel yourself, that you could just take it to a local Indy shop and have them change them out for around $25 and that's with balancing it. If you don't have a shop that can then this might be the option.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I couldn't remove my rear tire myself. I only had hand tools and a tire spoon. Played with it for an hour then took it to the indy. Best $20 I've ever spent. :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
What you didn't see is the video of him fighting to get the bead seated. I change my own with spoons, not hard BUT I have 3 pieces of wood cut about 1/2 wider than my rim which I put across the bead inside the tire and put it in the sun while I work on the old tire. I put the new tire on, bead is tight against the rim and takes air...no problem.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What you didn't see is the video of him fighting to get the bead seated. I change my own with spoons, not hard BUT I have 3 pieces of wood cut about 1/2 wider than my rim which I put across the bead inside the tire and put it in the sun while I work on the old tire. I put the new tire on, bead is tight against the rim and takes air...no problem.

I use a tie down ratchet strap around the tread of the tire. Tighten it as tight as I can get it, then hit it with 160 psi for a second or two with the valve out of the stem. Beads seat with a nice pop. Old school.... why..... because I'm old :wink:

·
Registered
374 Posts
this is why I pay for convenience, sometimes it is Just worth the money than the time and raised blood pressure!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts