Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel like I've about to join AA ... but for over eaters!

My name is Kevin and I'm an over eater. GR8BIGDUDE (Joe) inspired me to get involved here. I'm 6'3" and a month ago I was 316 lbs. On Feb. 18th, one day before my 61st. birthday, I suffered a mild heart attack. This is the 6th one I've had since last October. They start with indigestion, then a strong belly ache, then pain that gets very strong between my shoulder blades. The pain then radiates over to the left shoulder and down the arm to my wrist. These usually last about 45-90 minutes. I say all this so that hopefully it helps someone here some day to identify it if they have the same or similar symptoms. Some people get severe chest pain, some like me get the pain between the shoulder blades.

I have 100% blockage of the circumflex artery that they tried to breach with a wire to install a stint, but the blockage is old and very calcified. The cardiac interventionist said it was like trying to push a wire through bone. I also am not a candidate for an arterial by-pass as that artery is itself calcified. The nurse practitioner said it would be like trying to sew cooked spaghetti to hard uncooked spaghetti. The chance of success is very dubious.

I am aware that both my dad and mom had heart blockage issues (father had by-pass, mother has stint) but I love food, particularly good tasting food. I've been heavy all my life but ballooned up to 290 plus after quitting smoking 18 years ago and having to be on some meds (Beta blockers) that made me gain weight. That and a decrease of exercise that just seems to come with age put me at 316.

Unlike others who are always waiting for a magic pill, I knew all along that I was going to have blockage at some point but rationalized my eating by thinking, what the hell, I can always have a stint - that's painless. And if for some reason I couldn't get a stint, my back up plan was that there's always by-pass surgery. I never considered the fact that I might not be able to get either. That was quite a shock.

By the way, my weight was also the primary factor for me having hypertension (high blood pressure), having to have a total replacement of my left knee 7 years ago, and various other issues.

I'm "coming clean" here because I hope this new sub-forum helps others to face up to the fact that if you're obese you're killing yourself with food. I eat a lot, but things get out of hand when I'm stressed with work or personal issues - which is way too often. I now have no choice but to pay the piper and start eating better, eating less, and start exercising. I guess walking upstairs to the fridge for a pint of Ben and Jerry's around 9:00 when I'm watching TV doesn't qualify as exercise!

I don't intend to go on a strict diet, I am instead just eating better (a container of greek yogurt and a banana for breakfast is replacing 2-3 donuts) and eating less (one burger instead of two burgers and a handful of chips. Hell, I even tried a turkey burger the other night!). It seems to be working because in 6 weeks I've lost 12 lbs.

I want to live to see my 2 grandkids play sports and graduate college and all those other special moments in one's life. Plus my wife is currently in remission from multiple myeloma cancer and I need to be around to help her when it comes back. For those reasons I'm determind to beat this thing and get healthy. Hopefully this new sub-forum section will allow all of us who struggle with these or other health issues to seek a little encouragement and find some satisfacation in helping others.

Thanks again to the Admins for creating this opportunity. This IS clearly the best 2 wheel website on the net.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Good luck to you. Something else to consider is eating "cleaner". Stay away from products that have high frotose corn syrup, partially-hydroginated oils and msg. This cuts out a lot of the crap. I feel that a lot of our country's weight problems started when this stuff was added to our foods.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Northwoods- Good luck to you on your journey back to good health. You have lots to be thankful for and your commitment to be there for your wife and family is inspirational. The first steps are always the hardest in any journey. With your fellow forum members helping you along the way, you will not be alone. Eat healthy, get out there and walk, and keep us in the loop. We are here for you should you need a nudge or two.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Good luck to you. Something else to consider is eating "cleaner". Stay away from products that have high frotose corn syrup, partially-hydroginated oils and msg. This cuts out a lot of the crap. I feel that a lot of our country's weight problems started when this stuff was added to our foods.
Exactly! All of this man made stuff is toxic. Also, while it is a good idea to stay away from trans fats, don't be afraid of good oils like coconut oil. It is really amazing stuff and can be used in countless ways and can aid in weight loss.

I try to remember this...JERF (Just Eat Real Food)...when it comes to diet.

Good luck Kevin. We're with you on this!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Exactly! All of this man made stuff is toxic. Also, while it is a good idea to stay away from trans fats, don't be afraid of good oils like coconut oil. It is really amazing stuff and can be used in countless ways and can aid in weight loss.

I try to remember this...JERF (Just Eat Real Food)...when it comes to diet.

Good luck Kevin. We're with you on this!
Good advise from both these guys! EAT REAL (unprocessed) food. I eat Paleo about 90% of the time (1 cheat day a week). I stay lean and mean and feel GREAT! Good luck brother.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Kevin your a stand up guy in my book. I wish you and Gr8bigdude all the best of luck.

I'm 33 years old, 6'2 330. I'm not fat, but I'm not a fitness model. I'm built like an offensive lineman. I'm trying as well to get under 300 pounds. I have no health issues and good BP but a terrible family history of cancer, heart problems etc. I've always worked out 3-4 days a week but never really took the eating part of it seriously since I was a college athlete. In the last 2 weeks I have taken out bread for lunch and dinners and replaced it with a salad with chicken for lunch, a protein shake when I get home from work, and I try to not eat pounds of food for dinner. It has worked thusfar losing about 15 pounds. I'm down to 330. I have my first daughter on the way in about 4 or so weeks and I wanna walk her down the aisle someday. You guys have really inspired me to get my ass in gear so I don't encounter the problems you guys are experiencing down the road. Best of luck, and when we meet someday we will have a low calorie beer. nah, some things you just can't go low calorie on..

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Kevin, thanks for sharing, and you have my support in this!

·
6,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
".... I have my first daughter on the way in about 4 or so weeks and I wanna walk her down the aisle someday. You guys have really inspired me to get my ass in gear so I don't encounter the problems you guys are experiencing down the road. Best of luck, and when we meet someday we will have a low calorie beer. nah, some things you just can't go low calorie on..
Scott, appreciate the kind words and the fact that all this is helping to motivate you to change your eating habits a bit. But I have to say that walking your daughter down the aisle should be all the motivation you need. I know that's many years from now so it's hard to use as motivation, but keep that thought in the back of your mind.

I got to walk my only daughter down the aisle about 9 years ago and it was without a doubt my proudest moment. Without warning that "Daddy's little girl" that's pictured in your mind's eye all of a sudden changes and she's now a beautiful grown woman. You'll never love her more than those last few minutes when you're about to give her away. Please make sure that you do whatever is necessary to insure you get to experience that moment. ;)

And you're right it definitely won't be a "less filling" beer!

·
6,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all of you for your dietary tips and good wishes. For the first time in my life I'm going to make a concerted effort to be successful in achieving this lifestyle change. Oh I've dieted before and lost as much as 45 lbs., but then quickly slip back into my old habits. I want different long term results this time so prefer to refer to it as a lifestyle change and not a diet. I have to learn how to eat better and yet still satisfy my craving for good tasting food. One day at a time.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Here's wishing you much luck and thank God you've been given another chance. You can't "Live to ride" if you're not...well, alive.

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction and has already been demonstrated, you'll find plenty of support around here. You have mine.

·
Registered
483 Posts
This can certainly be the start of your new journey. Good food tastes good, I agree, a motto I live by and has helped is eat 80% for your body and 20% for your soul. Good luck man!

·
6,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I just got home from my first post heart attack busines strip last night. 4 days in Indiana. I was doing well at home, but damned it's a lot harder to eat well on the road. Breakfast was easy, grab a yogurt and a banana off the hotel b'fast bar. Lunch was the big challenge. We were in a lot of small towns where we were eating at family restaurants, or bar and grill type places, many of which don't offer a lot of healthy eating options, other than a salad. I enjoy a salad, but not 3 days in a row! Fell off the wagon yesterday when I had mostaccioli with a hot sausage. Oh well, that's gonna happen from time to time when my salivating tastebuds over-rule my brain.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Thanks for sharing your personal struggle Northwood. I believe you've taken a big step to getting positive results by first identifying an area you want to change. Press forward and fight for the results you are wanting with small goals.

·
6,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, after losing the first 12 pounds I've struggled with going further. Have lost a couple more but I'm finding it really difficult to lose weight when traveling on business and eating our three meals a day. I know it can be done, I'm just struggling to find a routine that doesn't include eating too much of the wrong things. I find it easy to stay on task at home on the weekends but struggle Mon. thru Friday eating in restaurants. My will power gets challenged to often when I get to pick where and what I'm going to eat - especially at supper time.

Time to come up with a different strategy for eating out. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm in the same boat I do work after work so I eat on the road, this isn't a plug but a 6" subway loaded no chips no soda no cookies works well, change the flavor and toppings, I know it works because I did it first couple weeks but this week I are at restaurants all week and sucked a few down. Probably did not drop any because of it. Good luck

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
174 Posts
WOW I'm Blown Away!

Living in southern Ontario my ride has been away all winter. I have hardly been on the forum all winter too. I got my bike out last Sunday but still not clean enough or warm for me to ride. I signed on to check out whats happened and I'm so impressed with this new sub section. What a great forum that takes our life and its wows not only our rides into play. As a GlideGal my weight has been an issue since puberty. I loose and gain the same pounds over and over. But it seems that it is mostly gaining the pounds that I excell at.
What a inspiration you gentlemen have been, I don't usually hear that story from men. I really need to get out and and walk every day. Put less on my plate at meal time. Stop eating between meals an feel better about myself.
I hope all you members who are looking for change will find the strength to make it happen. It surely takes strength. I hope that I can help, and be helped in the journey.
All the best to the to those who want to make the journey.
Sandi

·
Registered
316 Posts
Kevin,
You are one of the very few members of this forum I've met personally. I know youre a great guy and an asset to this site. So I am pulling for you to reach your optimal health so you can meet others here so they can experience your humor, friendship and warmth.

I do have one additional suggestion ... And that is to mix in some form of aerobic exercise 3-4 times a week. A 30 minute walk or spin on an exercise bike should greatly aid weight loss and reducing blood pressure. But whatever you do, know that there are people pulling and praying for you. I know you will get a handle on this. I Look forward to seeing you in Daytona next year or at a Shark Week in the great northeast. God bless.

Fred

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Kevin,
You are one of the very few members of this forum I've met personally. I know youre a great guy and an asset to this site. So I am pulling for you to reach your optimal health so you can meet others here so they can experience your humor, friendship and warmth.

I do have one additional suggestion ... And that is to mix in some form of aerobic exercise 3-4 times a week. A 30 minute walk or spin on an exercise bike should greatly aid weight loss and reducing blood pressure. But whatever you do, know that there are people pulling and praying for you. I know you will get a handle on this. I Look forward to seeing you in Daytona next year or at a Shark Week in the great northeast. God bless.

Fred
+1 on that. Kevin your a great dude and I hope I get to meet a healthy version of you soon. Maybe SW4 in Maine. We will have a biggest loser prize!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 39 Posts