Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to do a 21" up front with monotones. I'm looking at these 3 different companies, wheels are very similar black contrast:

Southern MC Elite 3D Jackpot, available in 21x3.25 & 21x3.5 . is there any noticeable difference in 3.25 vs 3.5?

Also looking into SMT Machining Simply Sinisterr, only available in 21x3.25
&
FTD Custom wheels 3 Shot, also only comes in 21x3.25

Any suggestions & info will be appreciated.

first pic is the Southern MC Jackpot

Attachments

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
IDK if you saw my issues with FTD, but I am sure if you ensure they ship the rotor mounting bolts they will perhaps take more care in ensuring that they are shipped with the wheel. Other than that, I really like the wheel. I looked into SMT's Simply Sinister wheel as well. Nice quality and customer service. I chose the FTD because they had smaller hole cutouts in the spoke and were significantly cheaper for pretty much the same wheel. I do like SMT's rotors better though. And SMT's rotors cost less than FTD's as well. Not familiar with Southern MC as I didn't consider them due to shape of cutouts in the spokes. Best of luck and great choice of wheel designs! >:)

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IDK if you saw my issues with FTD, but I am sure if you ensure they ship the rotor mounting bolts they will perhaps take more care in ensuring that they are shipped with the wheel. Other than that, I really like the wheel. I looked into SMT's Simply Sinister wheel as well. Nice quality and customer service. I chose the FTD because they had smaller hole cutouts in the spoke and were significantly cheaper for pretty much the same wheel. I do like SMT's rotors better though. And SMT's rotors cost less than FTD's as well. Not familiar with Southern MC as I didn't consider them due to shape of cutouts in the spokes. Best of luck and great choice of wheel designs! >:)
thanks just realized you have the chrome version of the FTD, your bike is looking awesome. I like all 3 but like floating rotors Southern offers. just wondering if there's a noticeable difference in a 3.25 vs a 3.5?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
thanks just realized you have the chrome version of the FTD, your bike is looking awesome. I like all 3 but like floating rotors Southern offers. just wondering if there's a noticeable difference in a 3.25 vs a 3.5?
Thanks! Southern's are pretty cool too, I just when with the round because it will match better with other part's pattern like JH Choppers. You won't notice the thickness difference in the rim much I don't think. It will matter most with tire options you may have. But 130 plus tires are somewhat limited in availability. I stuck with a 120 Avon myself.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I remember chatting with SMT Machining when I was wheel shopping, I didn't like the fact that I had to buy rotors specifically for their wheels and if you are planning on matching the rear rim the Harley pulley won't bolt up to their rear rim either. I went with Renegade Lincoln wheels instead. I run their matching rotors but if I'm out riding and something happens I can run a Harley rotor to get myself home and the Harley pulley bolts right up to their rear rim. Buy what you love the most, the quarter inch difference in front rim is something you'll never notice and will be taken up by spacers they will send you. Let us know which ones you pick
:grin:

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember chatting with SMT Machining when I was wheel shopping, I didn't like the fact that I had to buy rotors specifically for their wheels and if you are planning on matching the rear rim the Harley pulley won't bolt up to their rear rim either. I went with Renegade Lincoln wheels instead. I run their matching rotors but if I'm out riding and something happens I can run a Harley rotor to get myself home and the Harley pulley bolts right up to their rear rim. Buy what you love the most, the quarter inch difference in front rim is something you'll never notice and will be taken up by spacers they will send you. Let us know which ones you pick
:grin:
Good info, didn't know that about SMT. Thanks

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Post up when you get it installed.
I will, got a ton of stuff going on. Got front end off for powder coating with a bunch of other parts, dirty bird bags & side covers, customizing a MB fender extension for tribar light, Biketronics amp, 7.1 pros, 6.5 inner fairing speakers , BT 6x9 lid speakers , stock HK unit out to Iron Cross for pre amps & other mods. Due to changing to a 4ohm system Ill have a pair of J&M rocker XX's with speaker grills for sale soon, installed but have less then an hour on them. Would never have started these mods at this time if I didn't have a second bike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts