Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here but I'm kinda confused. With my stock 96" motor I was using the V&H FP3 and it ran great. I was actually getting compliments on how the stock motor ran. Ok fast forward. I just did a S&S 124" motor. I got in touch with V&H to inquire about a possible preliminary MAP to use for some break in miles. I'm currently using my stock head pipe with the stock O2 sensors up by the head ports because in 09 there was not a catalytic converter in the head pipe so in my opinion it acts like a xpipe. I've got about 250 miles on the motor with that preliminary V&H FP3 Map and stock head pipe and it runs great. I do plan on getting it dynoed as I want to see the numbers it runs. My question is, in your opinions, what would be the best tuner to get the best bang for the buck? I know there's several out there. I just dont understand them that well. Thanks

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Absolutely get in dyno tuned. You have spent big money getting a top tier motor. A proper tune is almost mandatory!

My opinion only. The best way to break a motor in is on the dyno. The operator has full control of this situation, no traffic to deal with, stop lights, etc.

When I assembled my motor, I put a "Ballpark tune" into my PC5 just to make sure it ran and check for leaks.. Shut it off, put it in the trailer to the tuner.

He broke the motor in and tuned it in one day. I didn't have to bring it back to get the "Final Tune".

Money well spent, it was budgeted into the build cost.

Best tuner/ The one the guy tuning it likes the best. PV, TTS are the most common along with Thundermax

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
I'd talk to the guy who's doing the tuning. The tuner is only as good as the tech using it. Most commonly used are the tts master tune, and the Dynojet Power vision .
PS. If you buy the Power vision, get it from Fuel moto. They will load a decent starter map in it and double the warranty.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welp! Upon the advice of my tuner/dyno guy I went ahead and picked up a Thundermax tuner from Fuelmoto. I got it installed but got a little confused with the program procedures. I wound up contacting my guy and he got me through it so I was able to get the base map loaded. He recommends doing a few autotune rides so I can load the new learned values so the thundermax can fine tune it accordingly. I was only able to get in a short 20 mile or so run due to the rain I got caught in. I got back to my garage and applied those learned values to the module. Hopefully the weather clears up a lil so I can get back out and ride some more. I will say though, the initial map and that short run I was able to make, I did notice some differences. So far I'm very pleased with the thundermax

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Welp! Upon the advice of my tuner/dyno guy I went ahead and picked up a Thundermax tuner from Fuelmoto. I got it installed but got a little confused with the program procedures. I wound up contacting my guy and he got me through it so I was able to get the base map loaded. He recommends doing a few autotune rides so I can load the new learned values so the thundermax can fine tune it accordingly. I was only able to get in a short 20 mile or so run due to the rain I got caught in. I got back to my garage and applied those learned values to the module. Hopefully the weather clears up a lil so I can get back out and ride some more. I will say though, the initial map and that short run I was able to make, I did notice some differences. So far I'm very pleased with the thundermax
You were able to use that tuner with your stock 02 sensors too , right ?

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
The thundermax comes with wide band O2 sensor that need to be used
I thought I heard the 09 had the wide band o2 sensors ?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The Thundermax is a good tuner. But no dyno guy is ever going to recommend one, no money in it for them. They got dynos that need paying for or leases with years left to run, they are going to sell you a tuner that requires a dyno.

I make 125+ with a Tmax on a 110 with fairley mild cams (SS585) That's as good as I've seen from any dyno tuned pulls.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Thundermax is a good tuner. But no dyno guy is ever going to recommend one, no money in it for them. They got dynos that need paying for or leases with years left to run, they are going to sell you a tuner that requires a dyno.

I make 125+ with a Tmax on a 110 with fairley mild cams (SS585) That's as good as I've seen from any dyno tuned pulls.
My dyno guy is actually a good dude and did in fact recommend the tmax. He is a straight shooter and wont just take your money because. It just so happens that I know the guy through a few friends. And this might really blow your mind, he even gave me pointers on how to set it up. He even said if I ran into any problems that he would come to me and give me a hand with it. I do get what you're saying though.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Dennis, aka Neverdone on this forum went with a S&S 124 when His stage iv 103 gave up the ghost. Did the TMax and used the base map long enough to get it to a good tuner down south somewhere during an event and got it tuned by someone (I forget). He said having it tuned then made a big difference and He's happy with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts